NEurope
Dante

Ubisoft: ‘We Will Beat EA’

Ubisoft’s North America boss has said that the publisher’s ample Wii launch lineup is integral to fending off major Ubi stakeholder and competitor Electronic Arts.

EA and France-based Ubisoft have been at odds for some time now. In December 2004, mega-publisher EA bought a 20 percent stake in Ubisoft—a move that the house of Rayman regarded as a “hostile takeover” of Sam Fisher proportions.

Ubisoft vowed to stay independent at the time, and it plans to keep it that way. “Our goal is not to sell to EA but to beat EA," said Laurent Detoc (pictured), president of Ubisoft North America in a Reuters interview this week.

He hopes that an early adoption of the Wii platform will help push Ubisoft up from the fifth largest independent publisher in North America to the fourth. Worldwide, the company is ranked fourth, although that excludes Japan.

EA is the world’s largest game maker, outweighing Ubisoft by far. EA posted revenues of $2.95 billion for its most recent fiscal year, compared to Ubisoft’s $688.6 million.

Ubisoft plans to release a load of Wii titles at the consoles launch—eight overall.

Detoc also commented on the ease of use of the Wii controller, saying, “You get it right away.” He added, “The Wii is unlikely not to succeed. The curiosity factor is going to help [Nintendo] and it's an impulse buy for most people."

www.next-gen.biz

maybe ea did not offer that much support to the wii because they saw UBi had the launch covered. kinda like competing with youself.

No one has dared to release a game that treads on the toes of any ea franchise either. The launch would have been the time to do that

EA only make so much because everyone buys every bloody FIFA every year, and the specialy World & Euros.

Attitudes like this result in a watered down line up of rushed games.

I want to be able to play the new SSX and Red Steel.. not a half arsed version of either. Because of some stupid competition.

Ubisoft has some talented people.. I'd hate them to be split up from their current teams and forced to work on projects they don't want to.

I would prefer diversity in the industry. I don't see a whole lot of art coming out of Electronic Arts these days anyway.

I wish Ubisoft luck, but I don't want them to compete directly with EA.

After all EA is normally not worried with quality in a lot of franchises, that's why they sell so much to the casual gamer because they put games out like there's no tomorow. Ubisoft is a far better developer already, trying to beat them in their own game (when it comes to games) might appear as a decrease in game quality... This would be going low to the EA level.

Said this EA has gotten better in the last few years, sure they are the same company, and their games are average, mostly unispired, but still they are polished on some platforms and they've shown some effort on madden wii, going the extra mile.

I find this atitude positive though, and I hope they outsell EA at Wii's launch.

EA only make so much because everyone buys every bloody FIFA every year, and the specialy World & Euros.

that and Madden, and every other major sports franchise:hmm:

I doubt it. Ubisoft doesnt have an acronym, key to being succesful in business.

Yep, you heard it here first.

Im glad EA arent whoring every franchise for launch like Ubi. If the quality of Madden 07 is anything to go by, looks lke a good desicison.

The more firms the better, as there will be more choice and better prices, also I like their (Ubi) ideas and wouldn't want EA to force new teams and prodjects on them.

EA have a major new development plan that'll make them even bigger. I know of it because of my particular field of interest and career choice, outside of gaming.

Hint: Has nobody noticed for the past year and a half it's been "EA Games" and not just "EA"?

I think Ubi Soft have been great with their support for Nintendo, but hell, no one's gonna beat EA.

All EA seem to do is just release last year's games with a few 'refinements', a bit more graphical polish, the real change is the team sheets and player stats. Their licenses have really paid off, and the only time they'll lose ground is when people are no longer interested in playing licensed sports sims (never).

I wish Ubisoft luck, but I don't want them to compete directly with EA.

After all EA is normally not worried with quality in a lot of franchises, that's why they sell so much to the casual gamer because they put games out like there's no tomorow. Ubisoft is a far better developer already, trying to beat them in their own game (when it comes to games) might appear as a decrease in game quality... This would be going low to the EA level.

Said this EA has gotten better in the last few years, sure they are the same company, and their games are average, mostly unispired, but still they are polished on some platforms and they've shown some effort on madden wii, going the extra mile.

I find this atitude positive though, and I hope they outsell EA at Wii's launch.

If I look at the Ubisoft launch lineup Ubisoft doesn't seem to be mucht bothered by quality either with the exception of RedSteel. The rest follows a quantity instead of quality philosphy.

If I look at the Ubisoft launch lineup Ubisoft doesn't seem to be mucht bothered by quality either with the exception of RedSteel. The rest follows a quantity instead of quality philosphy.
That's exactly my point actually.

Redsteel and Rayman top the list of efforts, obviously.

But I dunno, I still think that ubisoft's making a effort, we didn't seen enough of splinter cell, but far cry, cheap port or not it's up there with the xbox version. not exacting pushing wii to it's limits but hey, neither is red steel.

As for GT pro... GT cube was a good game hardly a GT4 killer, but it was fun after GT3 came out. 4x4 Monster I dunno but it was a port done in 6 months and it's running at 60 frames, it's smooth at least. (it ran at 30 frames on Xbox).

The thing for me is... if any of this "secondary titles" is not ready/could use more work on launch... it should be delayed, since they are already "strong".

Then again Red Steel could be the most likely title to delay.

EA buy out everything, and release every goddamn sports game, even though everbody knows PE is better than FIFA.

EA buy out everything, and release every goddamn sports game, even though everbody knows PE is better than FIFA.

Why? I do like Fifa series because the input is easy and the game is a lot of fun - yes I admit that the updates between each "new" game are very small but what should they change to make it a drastic improvement? Some games just rely on the same scheme because it works. Never touch a running system.

There are a lot of good EA games and if I look at the Wii games from EA I have to admit that EA tried a lot more in improving graphics than Ubisoft did.

Sure some of the games are quick ports but it must be noted that the launch line-up wouldn't looks as good without Ubi's support.

They are broadening the line-up the Wii has and hopefully inspire others too, what can be done with the Wiimote.

i always thought activision were the best western publisher.their licensed games are usually not bad

To be honest, I'm not all that bothered to whether all the Ubi Soft launch titles are AAA efforts. At the end of the day Ubi Soft are giving the Wii tremendous support and that makes me happy. Where as with a lot of other developers we're getting shocking looking ports of current gen games or down graded 'cheap and nasty' spin offs, Ubi Soft are giving the Wii the kind of support it needs to survive.

Plus I love Ubi Soft as they make the Tom Clancy games, I love Rainbow Six and have ever since I first played it on the N64, I currently playing lockdown at the mo and that's really good.