NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Charlie

One friend code per system

Something which people often ask when they first see the Message Board is whether we couldn't have made it so that you can specify which member of the family the message is for. In other words, wouldn't it be better if each family member could have their own Message Board? However, the fundamental concept was to make the Wii Message Board more like a letterbox with several postcards in it than the inbox on a personal mobile phone. When you look in the letterbox you can see how many postcards have arrived, and you can see, for example, that "This one's for Dad!"

"If we chose to, we could allow each family member to have their own account. But that just isn't what Wii is about. To give a very straightforward example, we're aiming at a console for everyone to use, but if we allowed everyone to have their own account, you would need to enter a password to use the console. To switch on Wii and be presented with a screen asking for your user name and password...well for me, that would have been unacceptable. In discussions, pretty much everyone agreed on this point
."

So, we get 1 friend code per system, but if you're sharing with siblings, they're going to use your code as well!

What finally came out of those discussions was the idea for a Play History, which recorded the total time a particular game had been played.

Which means that you're sharing your play history with them too..

Stupid, stupid, stupid.

http://ms.nintendo-europe.com/wii/?site=v3_03.html&l=enGB

---

I know these interviews have been posted before but no one seemed to take any notice of what was in them.

So you wanted to log in everytime you played? That would be crappy as hell.

Shame that good news can turn out so bad. All I (we) wanted was a single friend code (or preferably none at all) but then there's one for the whole Wii.

I'm lucky though I got no siblings. :D

This will be especially annoying for your online friends because you never know who of the family is playing unless you ask them. But then it could be the evil twin brother who claims he's the other one.

I would have liked a Wii-mote specific friend code. So that each person, who would have their own remote, would be able to have their own profile on the online games. No need to log in as the Wii and remote Sync before you start the game anyways.

Ah well.

Well it wouldn't be a big problem to store profiles on the flash memory.

I would have liked a Wii-mote specific friend code. So that each person, who would have their own remote, would be able to have their own profile on the online games. No need to log in as the Wii and remote Sync before you start the game anyways.

Ah well.

Yeah, that's a much better idea; but this is better than the DS thing, even if my Bro'll be using it too.

Though when we says:

if we allowed everyone to have their own account, you would need to enter a password

that's rubbish; you could just have to click on your logo & account name in a list of up to 4 or something, you don't need passwords just cos it's a diff account

THANK GOD!!

The one code per family is not much of an issue. At least not for me. ;)

I can see it being bad if you work in a secret facility, and have to send secret messages.

THANK GOD!!

The one code per family is not much of an issue. At least not for me. ;)

I can see it being bad if you work in a secret facility, and have to send secret messages.

Yes indeed. Before I read this, I was planning to use the Wii to send my plans for world domination from my secret lair to my spies and operatives. But now ... imagine if their mum saw my plans ... Now I can't use the Wii to get ... ONE BILLION DOLLARS !!!

Well I do it every time I play my 360, I click on my name and it logs me onto Xbox Live. Takes virtually no time at all. You can set a password if you want, but you really don't need to.

So everyone will be able to read your messages. Big deal.

Everyone will be able to use my friends list, if my sister is online and my friends send game invite they'll think I'm ignoring them.

I can't believe no one else sees it this way...

Everyone will be able to use my friends list, if my sister is online and my friends send game invite they'll think I'm ignoring them.

I can't believe no one else sees it this way...

I do. To quote myself.

This will be especially annoying for your online friends because you never know who of the family is playing unless you ask them. But then it could be the evil twin brother who claims he's the other one.

I'll be the only one using the Wii in my room,it won't be used as a 'family' console in my house,plus I won't let them :heh:

Mine will be for myself and random multiplayer. No ones allowed to play my consoles without permission, and nobody will ever play the Wii without my supervision.

Yes, im a strict son of a bitch. One friend code per system is good men. If you oppose, just move the fuck out the house or put it in your room.

I had a stupid idea that could be so stupid that it would actually work.

Wii has a Parental control system so you can restrict certain games.

Now the question is if you can also lock online with it. In that case you can seize control of the Parental system when you get the Wii and lock everyone out of online play. :D

I'll be the only one using the Wii in my room,it won't be used as a 'family' console in my house,plus I won't let them :heh:

QFT.

My Wii will sit in my room, connected to the internet there. If anyone wants to play it, they will play it in my room. I don't let anyone play online really on my 360. partly because hey don't want to and my bro play the Battlefield demo online a lot. So i let him on that. But for the Wii, it'll stay in my room.

Great news about the one friend code thing. I wonder if they'll do a kind of gamertag. Maybe download pictures, or download themed gamertags. Like a mrio one, or download a creator for a couple Wii points., then get pictures off your SD card and make your own.

I was using the word gamertag cos i can't be bothered making up my own word.

I hope it is

friendcode = console identifier

mii ID (in the wiimote) = user identifier

so we have

console:user = friendcode:miiID

Sounds sensible so that everyone has personal user settings and also there are also global settings for the console ID.

(however xbox live requires an account per user but maybe thats just to fleece subcription revenue)

(however xbox live requires an account per user but maybe thats just to fleece subcription revenue)

Making an account is free, you pay to play online.

why are some of you STILL whining?

would u rather have a Seperate Code for each game?

plus if its a "Family" Console... im pretty sure u can trust ur family... and maybe they will have a lil system where you can see if a message has been opened and stuff.. incase ur a part in the Brotehrly / Sisterly Love :P

plus if it works like the fact you have to say if you have a mum/dad/sibling if they keep invading ur messages.. u can remove the fact u have a brother/sister off your Wii and that will offend them :D

but if it was up 2 me. i have a good idea here ^-^ but for rich ppl only :P

have an accound per remote.. u can slip ur remote in ur pocket and just which ever Wii you go to.. you cna logon to your account there

I REALLY like the fact that I can know how much time I've invested into games, I always thought consoles should have this.

I'm very pleased by this news. Friend codes on DS are such a hassle, I just didn't end up bothering but this looks set to change with wii.

Sign in to follow this