NEurope
Tellyn

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker Discussion

Wow there wasn't an official thread for Wind Waker! It must have been on the old forums. Anyway I have started playing Wind Waker again after I gave up on the Forbidden Forest (yes I'm rubbish) last year. My friend helped me out with it, I got the last pearl and am now in Tower of the Gods. I forgot how much I loved this game.

The great thing about WW is that the graphics are timeless. Unlike OoT and MM, this game will still look great in 10 years.

Id like to see Nintendo take their cel-shading prowess to the next level on Wii (minus the big bug eyes). It would be perfect for Mario or Metroid (face it, Metroid needs a new look)

Keep Mario and Metroid where it is, use cel-shading in some new franchise or maybe StarFox and Kirby.

But lets not discuss just cel-shading, one thing that bugged me about this game was the lack of dungeons, is there any truth to the rumour that a water-dungeon was planned but replaced by the Jabun search?

I dunno about the Jabun bit but I did hear that the Triforce search was tacked on to lengthen the game out a bit. I didnt actually mind it that much.

What about all the business of getting the models or something? I heard talk of this but Ive never gotten even one of them. Its to do with the camera isnt it?

i liked the triforce hunt it encouraged me to complete my sea chart so i could find all the shards.

I thought it was a great game up until the triforce hunt crap, there was meant to be more dungeons but because they wanted to get it out ASAP they took some out and used that triforce hunt to replace them, bad move.

Also the amount of time spent sailing just got boring for me. I have tried a few times to play through the game again but once it comes to the "triforce hunt" i just can't move on further and go to a different game

Great great game. Completed it twice already, and I'm thinking about doing it for a third time. The cel shaded graphics are amazing for the most part, but in some areas it can look a bit less than amazing.

Only thing that annoyed me was having to change the wind all of the time while sailing.

Only thing that annoyed me was having to change the wind all of the time while sailing.

That was the only thing that I didnt like about the game. I didnt mind the actual sailing just having to change the wind direction got to be a real pain.

Visually this is one of the best games I have ever played. In a time when realistic graphics are seen as the norm this was a breath of fresh air that really brought to life the world that Link was living in. The music on the game was also absolutley outstanding.

It truely is a great game. The graphics are really what made the game for me. They really stand out from any other game of it's sort.

The only part of the game that really annoyed me was the ending. Throughout the game, the music is great, but at the end it just doesn't seem to give you that "you've just saved the world" feeling that Ocarina of Time gives you. And even without the Big Gorons sword, it seem so much easier that it's N64 counterparts.

The music on the game was also absolutley outstanding.

QFT.

Dragon Roost Island music is legendary. And Oustset Island makes me feel so full of joy when I listen to it.I recommend you download the PiratesofDragonRoostIsle and AncientHero OC Remixes from http://www.ocremix.org/

I dunno about the Jabun bit but I did hear that the Triforce search was tacked on to lengthen the game out a bit. I didnt actually mind it that much.

What about all the business of getting the models or something? I heard talk of this but Ive never gotten even one of them. Its to do with the camera isnt it?

You take pics of things and there's a guy off the shore of Deku Island (or whatever:heh:) on a lil (but tall) Island. This means that to get to him you have to climb 1/2 way up the Deku Tree and there should be a ledge somewhere, you go through a 'door' to outside n then glide to the mini Island with the guy, who makes statues of stuff after you show him pics of them.

(Or something)

But lets not discuss just cel-shading, one thing that bugged me about this game was the lack of dungeons, is there any truth to the rumour that a water-dungeon was planned but replaced by the Jabun search?

IIRC there was going to be a water temple there, plus 2 more to "fix" the master sword.

Playing through MM again. Am I the only one who thinks MM would be amazing with WW graphics?

That was the only thing that I didnt like about the game. I didnt mind the actual sailing just having to change the wind direction got to be a real pain.

Visually this is one of the best games I have ever played. In a time when realistic graphics are seen as the norm this was a breath of fresh air that really brought to life the world that Link was living in. The music on the game was also absolutley outstanding.

I would have loved the sailing if I didn't have to keep changing the wind all of the time. There should have been some sort of shortcut to change the wind as you changed direction in the boat.

Completely agree with the rest of your post too. :)

Now thats the crappy part of this game, its boring, takes a lot of time and the guy who makes the figurines is more gay than Tingle. And as far as I know it does not give you any reward for completing it, has any sane person took the time to get them all?

And why did that freakish dude appear againg in Minish Cap, I hate him, not like I love to hate Tingle, but I actually want his existance to be negated!

A very very enjoyable game indeed. I don't own it myself but I borrowed it from a friend. And I've finished it while he is still stuck in it ^^ But the wind changing should have done different indeed, something like holding Z (or where you put your windwaker) and then use C to immediately set the direction instead of playing that tune all the time. But for the rest a very good game, especially the dungeon where you get the mirror shield!

And about Jabun, froztyman might be right because I also was kinda disappointed that he just gave you the pearl, an underwater dungeon would have been cool.

The graphics are timeless, they make you feel like you're playing through a beautiful cartoon. I think it quite suited Link too, as it reminded me of his days on the NES and SNES.

And although I really can't wait for Zelda: TTP, and I think the adult darker look is very cool indeed, I think one the greatest strengths of the Zelda series is that it can go anywhere graphically. Each tale in the series is unique.

I did wish the whole shard hunt thing wasn't there though, I could've just lived without it, infact I'd rather have just had the shorter game.

After seeing the ending with the proper Zelda world frozen under the sea, one thing i wished for was to see the first ever NES game remade in 3D in that graphical style, with the rich beauty of Hyrule in it's full glory, rather than just endles blue seas.

After seeing the ending with the proper Zelda world frozen under the sea, one thing i wished for was to see the first ever NES game remade in 3D in that graphical style, with the rich beauty of Hyrule in it's full glory, rather than just endles blue seas.

when the trailer for WW was first shown, it was just called Legend of Zelda and i was hoping it was a remake of the NES game. It would be a huge game in 3D considering it had 8 dungeons plus Ganon's dungeon. Maybe this was the original idea but then became Wind Waker as a cop-out

Yeah I think a number of temples were cut from the Wind Waker,

The Fire and Ice caves were originally intended to be full temples I think, along with a water temple at Greatfish Isle, which would have been a great home for Jabun and the Zora's!

Finding The Tower of the Gods is one of the funniest moments of any game!!

First time I saw it I couldn't stop laughing!! It's the pause before the explosion!!

when the trailer for WW was first shown, it was just called Legend of Zelda and i was hoping it was a remake of the NES game. It would be a huge game in 3D considering it had 8 dungeons plus Ganon's dungeon. Maybe this was the original idea but then became Wind Waker as a cop-out
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krQ40gvxCV4

Looking back at the Original Cel-Shaded Zelda Spaceworld 2000 video, I really like it!! A total remake of the first two Zelda's would be great, but I can't see it happening.

Not a great reaction from the crowd though to say the least!!

I'd actually like some 2D remakes of the 3D games. Vice versa too. I wonder how long it would take? Or they could put other developers on the job.

Yes, that's apparently what happend, along with another 2 additional dungeons. They all got moved lock, stock and barrel and are now lying around in Twilight Princess in some form.

Personally I wasn't too bothered about the low (well, lower) number of dungeons, especially as the overworld and the sailing was so magically georgeous. I can understand why some didn't like it, but I loved the sailing and the more relaxed, general pace the game had over it's former incarnations.

i dont think much of it either.Highly over rated.i just hated the whole structure but love th graphics and the way it slows down when i hit someone(hopefully that wasn't just my game lol)