NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Kaxxx

480p, component and Progressive scan

Im not the biggest techno junkie on the planet but i recently purchased a Dell 32" HDTV for my livingroom. Also updated my surround system so was a bit pissed when i heard the Wii was supporting Pro Logic II. Not that im grumbling too much but as time goes by this machine is looking more and more like a bog standard Gamecube with a new controller.

Anyway, after recently connecting up my Gamecube to the RGB scart socket ive decided that if the European Wii doesnt support Component connection with 480p im not going to bother buying a UK model on release day. Unfortunately my Gamecube looks awful going through scart and being stretched.

I may opt for a US machine, which i dont want to do because of my PAL GC games, but i really think its time for Nintendo to show what the price of the Wii is giving us.

Or you could just read up on it and see that Nintendo is supporting 480p with progressive scan via component cable connections.

In Europe? There has been no confirmation of that as yet. They have mentioned it in the tech specs but im still unconvinced.

By that i also mean that games support it unlike PAL Gamecube titles.

My bad. TBH, I can't imagine them not allowing it since the PS3 and X-Box 360 are both HD. They're not going to just leave it out altogether. Of course, I'm importing so that doesn't really make a difference to me on the PAL side of things.

I'v heard on the net that there is a Gamecube mod-chip that forcefuly outputs all Gamecube games into progressive scan, but obviously you still need the component cables.

In fact, I found this in the other RGB cable thread.

Output: an AV Multi-output port for component, composite or S-video

The diference between 480i and 480p is big, but if GC looks stretched it has nothing to do with it, you're TV is probably upscaling the games and they end up not looking very good. Happens with some TVs.

These "Wii is a GC + waggle comments are stupid". Wii is a console as any other but with a revolutionary control mode, just because the graphics aren't 360 level doesn't mean you should do these pointless comparisons.

What's the fucking point of EDTV if only a handful of Wii games are widescreen? So we can have lovely textured black bars on the sides of our screens? Or enhanced stretch-o-rama?

Im as big a Nintendo fan as any of you guys, but if Nintendo fail to deliver the goods to the UK this time then i will be sorely pissed off.

I love the controller, i love the Virtual console and the philosophy behind what they are trying to achieve but all i want is for Europeans to be given standard technology that can compliment other equipment in their home. LCD's for many are standard now.

EDTV has absolutely no relation with Widescreen.

Tonnes of you treat me like a retard, I know what I'm saying. It's like full-screen HDTV. Nobody has it, as nobody wants it. Same goes with full-screen EDTV.

It's restriction after restriction, it's disgusting Nintendo treats it's consumers like dogs.

What's the fucking point of EDTV if only a handful of Wii games are widescreen? So we can have lovely textured black bars on the sides of our screens? Or enhanced stretch-o-rama?

Get your facts straight. A few (a few actually meaning less than three) developers have mentioned that their games don't run in widescreen yet - blame the Cube devkit. All of the titles worth buying will fill up your entire 80" screen.

I'm quite sick of your comments as quite frankly you like to see things very badly. You shouldn't even care about these as you don't exactly like someone who is going to buy anything related to the Wii.

Except Nintendo has nothing to do it, since their games are in 16:9. HD TVs, ED TVs, SD TVs, they're all TVs it's all the same, lots of people watch stretched or cropped films/tv shows/games on their 16:9 tvs regardless of the tech it uses. Most GC games aren't widescreen and I've played them just fine.

If that many people treat you like a retard, there must be a reason.

Get your facts straight. A few (a few actually meaning less than three) developers have mentioned that their games don't run in widescreen yet - blame the Cube devkit. All of the titles worth buying will fill up your entire 80" screen.

80" would be awesome but I only have a 32". And I deem Sonic as worth buying, and that's a full-screen title.

Ever tried playing the likes of Metroid Prime or Wind Waker NTSC in 480p? Both games are 4:3 and look great on my 42" RPTV. No black bars, no blatant overstretching. So Wii games that run in 16:9 and 480p can only look even better; there should be no black bars from the games at all on a widescreen TV, even if the game is in 4:3 and/or 480i.

If there aren't any black bars with a 4:3 game, then you play your games stretched. That means your TV stretches the 4:3 image sideways to fill the screen.

That's okay for some games, but in the case of games like Super Monkey Ball, you'll find the ball isn't a circle anymore.

If there aren't any black bars with a 4:3 game, then you play your games stretched. That means your TV stretches the 4:3 image sideways to fill the screen.

That's okay for some games, but in the case of games like Super Monkey Ball, you'll find the ball isn't a circle anymore.

Unless your TV has proportional scaling, where it stretches the edges of the image and leaves the middle relatively untouched.

Sign in to follow this