NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Dilli Gee

Assassin's Creed ROCKS!

Am I the only one who doesn't think this is anything special?

It just looks like PoP meets Splinter Cell to me and everyones going wild saying knocking NPCs over is next gen.

I'm not saying it's not well put together but it just doesn't strike me as anything special.

It's more the 'scale anything' aspect that entices me, and I -do- think it is special, at least if it's as comprehensive as they say it is. From World of Warcraft to Halo, I love climbing, clambering, and exploring.

For me empowerment isn't a rocket launcher, it's the ability to go where others can't; to win a fight without drawing a weapon, and to be able to avoid fighting at all. I'm hoping this game will allow for that, and that's why it's one of my most anticipated titles.

I want such Achievements as 'Travel X metres without touching the floor', and other things more imaginative than 'Finished training' or the like — the Pacifist Achievement in Geometry Wars really shouldn't be the exception to the rule.

It's more the 'scale anything' aspect that entices me, and I -do- think it is special, at least if it's as comprehensive as they say it is. From World of Warcraft to Halo, I love climbing, clambering, and exploring.

For me empowerment isn't a rocket launcher, it's the ability to go where others can't; to win a fight without drawing a weapon, and to be able to avoid fighting at all. I'm hoping this game will allow for that, and that's why it's one of my most anticipated titles.

I want such Achievements as 'Travel X metres without touching the floor', and other things more imaginative than 'Finished training' or the like — the Pacifist Achievement in Geometry Wars really shouldn't be the exception to the rule.

I completly agree with you, I would buy the game juast to jump from roof top to roof top. The sense of freedom in a immersive 3D enviroment is very gratifying.

Am I the only one who doesn't think this is anything special?

It just looks like PoP meets Splinter Cell to me and everyones going wild saying knocking NPCs over is next gen.

I'm not saying it's not well put together but it just doesn't strike me as anything special.

Who the hell do you think you are to come in here and talk sense! Did you even see the graphics?!?!?!

I agree with you completely. But, hey, some people are just too easily bought.

With a reputation for making great games such as Prince of Persia, i can say with confidence that this will be one of the great games of next year.

A game that cannot be done on the Wii

The graphics werent even that ground breaking, what was ground breaking, and impressed me the most software wise, was the freedom of climbing any thing, and it did indeed look very fun. That is whats impressive.

Im pretty sure bitter Wii fanboys will ignore this.

Am I the only one that doesnt think that PoP meets Splinter Cell sounds like a bad thing? Personally, I think an amalgamation of the two sounds fantastic; most stealth games lack any sense of fluidity and nimbleness, so to play a subtle character that can still perform death-defying moves (lets face it, the guy is a ninja several hundred years too late) is definitely a move in the right direction.

Im a bit surprised that no-one has commented that, far from just "knocking over NPCs", the crowd is entirely dynamic and interactive. I love the idea of being able to slip into a group of people and blend in completely; I also like the idea that you could be knocked over and lose all advantage if you just run aimlessly about in a crazed mob of people. A little bit of strategy is a nice thing to have to come up with in the genre.

Bundle this with a free-roaming, hugely detailed and completely traversable environment, slap on a setting that hasnt been overused until its nothing but a cliche, and I cant see single thing I dont like about Assassins Creed - other than the fact its not out til sometime 2007.

________

Honda nh series

Edited by Johelian

Am I the only one that doesnt think that PoP meets Splinter Cell sounds like a bad thing? Personally, I think an amalgamation of the two sounds fantastic; most stealth games lack any sense of fluidity and nimbleness, so to play a subtle character that can still perform death-defying moves (lets face it, the guy is a ninja several hundred years too late) is definitely a move in the right direction.

Im a bit surprised that no-one has commented that, far from just "knocking over NPCs", the crowd is entirely dynamic and interactive. I love the idea of being able to slip into a group of people and blend in completely; I also like the idea that you could be knocked over and lose all advantage if you just run aimlessly about in a crazed mob of people. A little bit of strategy is a nice thing to have to come up with in the genre.

Bundle this with a free-roaming, hugely detailed and completely traversable environment, slap on a setting that hasnt been overused until its nothing but a cliche, and I cant see single thing I dont like about Assassins Creed - other than the fact its not out til sometime 2007.

That's probably the best discription of this game I ever read. It's probably the game I'm most excited to play, thank god it's not a console exclusive.

Who the hell do you think you are to come in here and talk sense! Did you even see the graphics?!?!?!

The graphics, whilst good, aren't even a selling point to me, as they're exactly what 'next-gen' should be delivering, in my opinion. I'd much rather a smooth frame rate and animation coupled with The Two Thrones's level of detail than take another trip down a meticulously rendered Uncanny Valley.

I want to see more of the crowd dynamics before commenting, really; I don't think its significance will sink in until we actually get in there for ourselves.

I'm hoping for at least one mission which requires you to follow a paranoid mark through a crowded area, using social-stealth to avoid detection. Being able to traverse the crowd Dead Rising-style could be interesting, too...

Hmm, I assume you're just referring to the individual locations themselves here? I'm not expecting the missions to be bolted on to a GTA-style sandbox — in fact I think I'd prefer it if it wasn't — I was just wondering if you'd heard something I hadn't.

They said it was from an early version before the demo started

my two cents

it's hard to say anything from one in game demo what a game will be like, I was impressed by what the demo suggested the game could be like, but I want to see more before going overboard about it :)

Did anyone read Gamecentral on C4 this morning?

One of their pages said that, according to Ubisoft, the 360 version will be a lot better than the PS3 version ...Can anyone find a link to this, because Gamecentral NEVER provide false infomation.

The graphics, whilst good, aren't even a selling point to me, as they're exactly what 'next-gen' should be delivering, in my opinion. I'd much rather a smooth frame rate and animation coupled with The Two Thrones's level of detail than take another trip down a meticulously rendered Uncanny Valley.

I want to see more of the crowd dynamics before commenting, really; I don't think its significance will sink in until we actually get in there for ourselves.

I'm hoping for at least one mission which requires you to follow a paranoid mark through a crowded area, using social-stealth to avoid detection. Being able to traverse the crowd Dead Rising-style could be interesting, too...

Hmm, I assume you're just referring to the individual locations themselves here? I'm not expecting the missions to be bolted on to a GTA-style sandbox ? in fact I think I'd prefer it if it wasn't ? I was just wondering if you'd heard something I hadn't.

Honestly, I was impressed by the snippet of crowd interaction that we saw in the vid, so anything more is a bonus. :) I do like the Dead Rising-esque manner of treating every NPC as an individual object to be manipulated; I particularly enjoyed the way you can grab them by the throat and toss them behind you to create an obstacle for your pursuers.

Id say the tracking mission would be a given ;)

I was referring to the individual locations, although based on that vid I would expect to be picking up missions randomly throughout the location ala GTA. According to a preview that I read, its up to you to find the best time and moment to take out your target; youre not lead into a preset situation in which to encounter them I believe, but rather just given your orders and left to it. What did you have in mind for the missions?

________

Easy Vape Vaporizer

Edited by Johelian

Honestly, I was impressed by the snippet of crowd interaction that we saw in the vid, so anything more is a bonus. :) I do like the Dead Rising-esque manner of treating every NPC as an individual object to be manipulated; I particularly enjoyed the way you can grab them by the throat and toss them behind you to create an obstacle for your pursuers.

I'm easy to please, but hard to impress. They've shown good groundwork, certainly, but seeing how much they've been pimping the crowd system I hope they can deliver something more. At the moment they basically look like wandering pinball-bumpers, so I suppose I'm just hoping they'll be more interaction in the final game, such as rallying them against guards, or causing street brawls as distractions.

Id say the tracking mission would be a given ;)

As would I. It was more an outline of the sort of thing I'm looking for Creed to deliver.

I was referring to the individual locations, although based on that vid I would expect to be picking up missions randomly throughout the location ala GTA. According to a preview that I read, its up to you to find the best time and moment to take out your target; youre not lead into a preset situation in which to encounter them I believe, but rather just given your orders and left to it. What did you have in mind for the missions?

This is what I assume it to be, essentially Hitman but with more athletics — they're the main draw for me.

As for my comment about prefering the game not to have a "GTA-style sandbox", I basically meant that I hope it isn't entirely free-roaming. Having open areas is excellent, but I think having to travel between locations on horseback would be like The Wind Waker's sailing sections but with vast empty plains and not even Octorocks for company. Basically I don't want to see the point of the game diluted in the name of adding another bulletpoint on the back of the box.

I have high hopes for this game, so I suppose I'm simply fearing the worst. It's only because I care.

As for my comment about prefering the game not to have a "GTA-style sandbox", I basically meant that I hope it isn't entirely free-roaming. Having open areas is excellent, but I think having to travel between locations on horseback would be like The Wind Waker's sailing sections but with vast empty plains and not even Octorocks for company. Basically I don't want to see the point of the game diluted in the name of adding another bulletpoint on the back of the box.

I have high hopes for this game, so I suppose I'm simply fearing the worst. It's only because I care.

This is where we differ; I dont mind sections like this, in the vein of Gun or Shadow of the Colossus, as travelling through even empty landscape makes the world seem more "real" somehow to me. I must admit that I found Windwakers boat travelling sections mindnumbing, primarily because it was just blue water as far as the eye could see, but I love traversing Colossus' vast landscapes.

________

Corvette c5

Edited by Johelian

I think it looks interesting, not earth shattering like some think, but interacting with everything is something I value in a videogame. Also the Ubisoft guys are very talented when they come to architecture, so I'm sure we'll see some cool things in this game. I'm glad it's coming to 360.

One of my most anticipated games - and the Wii isn't even out yet, so thats saying something :P

This is where we differ; I dont mind sections like this, in the vein of Gun or Shadow of the Colossus, as travelling through even empty landscape makes the world seem more "real" somehow to me. I must admit that I found Windwakers boat travelling sections mindnumbing, primarily because it was just blue water as far as the eye could see, but I love traversing Colossus' vast landscapes.

I have to agree; I love these sections in games where you can gallop about on a horse seeing the environment and all the little creatures scurrying about, which is probably why I liked Oblivion, and why I will like this.

It looks as though it will be a very open game, letting you decide how to kill your target, whether you run in, kill them, and slay everyone in the town, or use the more "Assassiny" approach and jump from building to building. I must say, I'm loving the freedom of blending into crowds and the different paths you can take, all from just one video!

This is a title none of us can miss out on!

It looks as though it will be a very open game, letting you decide how to kill your target, whether you run in, kill them, and slay everyone in the town, or use the more "Assassiny" approach and jump from building to building.

By the sounds of it that would be rather unlikely. I'm not saying you can't attack anyone you please, it's just that the combat system has been described as a realistic one where you're vending off aggressors to escape rather than to up the body count.

Anyway, seeing as I clearly didn't explain myself properly the last two times, here's another attempt at clarifying my position: I like free-roaming landscapes; I enjoyed Wind Waker's sailing, Shadow of the Colossus is my favourite PS2 game, and Galleon's islands were a pleasure to traverse. I'm simply aware of how many developers don't seem to get the point of a sandbox; if you don't furnish it with toys the vanilla sand will soon get boring.

If Assassin's Creed has a rich overworld filled with NPCs — travelers to aid, bandits to thwart, that sort of thing — and garnished with playgrounds — mountains to climb, waterfalls to dive down, generally just ways to make your own fun — then sure, I'm all for it. But I think the developers have already bitten off a fair chunk with even a level-based structure, so I wouldn't want to see the core of the game diluted by a roughly jotted, sparsely filled landscape.

There, I think that about covers it this time.

I love the climbing, running and jumping. That sort of thing really appeals to me, so I'll be getting this regardless.

After have been watching the whole video my jaw is wide open. :shock:

The game looks absolutely stunning and with that kind of physics and gameplay, this really looks and seems like true next-gen gaming. Can't wait for this.

The animation is probably the first example of true next gen movement. I mean sure, Fight night round 3 had amazing visuals, but the animation was terrible. This seems to have it all.

Looks a lil boring in that vid to be honest.

And that bitch was a BAD choice to be demonstrating it.

Err, Jade Raymond is the game's producer and it's a rare occasion where the hot chick is actually 100% involved and perhaps the one that knows best what's going on.

Sign in to follow this