NEurope
Aussie

Banjo Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts

Each to their own, people on here will argue it to the death otherwise. :heh:

Personally I really liked the BK games, they were'nt as revolutionary as SM64 *shrugs* but they certainly were'nt as bad as countless platformers that appeared on the N64 / Saturn / Playstation.

Not that they were all bad of course but for me SM64, BK, BT and CBFD were some of the best platformers around for their time and I can't wait for BK3. :smile:

Well said!

*HoT nods head in approval *

consider yourself lucky.

'oh, look. this game has about as much constructive structure as a laxative enhanced post curry shit. Sweet.'

I'd agree DK 64 really wasn't that great.

But to call BK a Mario 64 clone is unfair. What makes it a clone of it?

Sure it followed the game and so was bound to be judged by its standards, but then the same could be said about ANY 3D platform game.

Mario 64 also had its share of collecting, and in many ways BK improved on Mario with larger levels full of character, better visuals, more charm, more gameplay types etc...

They're both awesome games, and it's really just down to personal opinion I suppose!

The collecting aspect was EXACTLY the same as Mario 64. Banjo had Jiggies and Notes, Mario had Stars and Coins.

For me Banjo had far more charm than what Mario 64 did. Also the levels were fantastic especially the snow level and the level that went through all 4 seasons.

I will admit I wasnt a fan of Banjo-Tooie though.

the key difference is that Mario had structure, making the collection tasks, stars etc seperate so that the game had proper flow and a good design. Rare's efforts to copy the formula basically broke down by ommiting that system. the result is a lack of clarity, confusion and poor sign posting or guage of progress. That right there is shoddy design 101.

the key difference is that Mario had structure, making the collection tasks, stars etc seperate so that the game had proper flow and a good design. Rare's efforts to copy the formula basically broke down by ommiting that system. the result is a lack of clarity, confusion and poor sign posting or guage of progress. That right there is shoddy design 101.

Like its been said, each to their own.

I'm right though. That's proven by Science.

*Shrugs shoulders and continues to like Banjo Kazooie more than Mario 64*

Mmmm nice. Very nice. (Apart from the character redesign, which I will continue to resent)

Looks really good! I'm sure i said it earlier in this thread...but the game definately has you creating your own vehicles and stuff...i'm sure of it! : peace:

I loved both BK and BT. Played them both to death on the N64! They were ever so slightly better than Mario 64 in my opinion.

Mmmm nice. Very nice. (Apart from the character redesign, which I will continue to resent)

+1.

I'm still not keen on the look of Banjo. :/

2 rather grand vehicles, i just a get a feeling of a GTA style game in the Banjo universe. The use of the plane infront of the Mumbo area pushes towards them not being used in specific tracks. I think its gonna be quite open world.

The collecting aspect was EXACTLY the same as Mario 64. Banjo had Jiggies and Notes, Mario had Stars and Coins.

For me Banjo had far more charm than what Mario 64 did. Also the levels were fantastic especially the snow level and the level that went through all 4 seasons.

BK/BT was more collect-a-thon than mario there's no denying that. Banjo was in no way structured as SM64

Awesome games though :P The Stars were the main objectives, like the jigsaws that's normal, the coins were all over the place and that's it.

Also, jinjos or wtvr

I'm completely not excited by those screens... I know it's nice to see the game at last but they reveal very little except that the game looks pretty, there's overcomplicated vehicles and Banjo really does have a square face.

I also preferred BK over Mario 64 (I don't really see how it had a lack of structure or organisation, you didn't have to collect all the Musical Notes, it was entirely optional, you just needed enough to open the next note door) yet I just can't seem to get my hopes up, maybe it's because there was a time when Rare would never have produced anything that scored under 9 from anyone, and I've lost a little faith somewhere along the lines....

I massively prefer BK, BT and DK64 over SM64. I still love SM64, though.

I want to see some non-vehicle screens.

I think Kazooie is far better than Tooie. I love the levels more and think the areas are fantastic. And was more fun for me aswell, and I loved going about collecting everything but the notes where so easy in Tooie.

Then the final boss, man I remember doing that for the first time, so fun. Then people where sure they could get the eggs and Ice Key, which I found out last month, you can actually get them in the first game.

As for this though, I have to say, i'm really not fond of the character designs. Ever since I seen the trailer for it, they look spongey to me, like it's some sort of crazy bathroom adventure.

I can't shake the feeling that they redesigned Bano etc because the NEW! breed that is Rare wanted to stamp their ideas all over it.

Banjo worked because it was an immitator of the greatest 3D platformer at that time. It even mirrored Mario64's backflip :p ...but that's great! What a game to base a title around.

I guess there are the arguments that Rare obviously tooled their DKC 2/3 'team-up' ideas into a 3D platformer and it worked brilliantly - then everyone screamed copy-cat at them.

Rare were 2nd party at that time and probably saw Mario64 loads more than most dev's. But they were still genial back in the 90's. I remember when Banjo was Project Dream and it looked bland - yet upon release it just looked "phonomenal". And personally, I think it still does. (Sublime texture work in places.)

Unfortunately this 360 seems to lose the "if you go down to the woods today" vibe, and instead looks soul-less (yeah, spongey!) and generic. :(

I'm hoping it's a wonderful title but my love of Rare is only kept burning by memories. This will never compare to Banjo when I was growing up. But it may be the title for a million other kids/teens. I just can't help but think the 360 could be the wrong console for this title...(Probably opening a whole can of worms there.)

A DS version would have sold kazillions...

tooie lacked imagination, and there was no sign of the real stop n swop

also on the subject rareware said that downloadable stop n swop stuff may be available on xbox live

Banjo-Kazooie was probably my favourite game on the n64. Never played the sequel but the original kicked ass in so many ways. Okay it was clearly heavily inspired by mario64 but BK is by far the better game. They took everything that was in Mario and made it bigger, better and more fun. Mario64 was revolutionary but BK perfected the formula laid out in that game.

Cannot wait for this, or at least to see some early impressions.

Not liking the look of all these vehicles though.

Looks nice. I imagine that the whole point of each level will be to collect parts of a vehicle, like Jigsaw pieces in previous games, and use the completed thing to go to the next level.

Edit- I always thought Mario 64 was better than BK. Although I loved both.

Edit2- All you need is a 360 and a telly, according to a Rare employee on NeoGAF. No motion sensing add-on.

Edit3- LOADS of new pics:

i_467433.jpg

i_467434.jpg

i_467438.jpg

i_467436.jpg

i_467437.jpg

i_467435.jpg

i_467431-1.jpg

i_467430-1.jpg

i_467432-1.jpg

i_467426-1.jpg

i_467427-1.jpg

i_467425.jpg

i_467424.jpg

It's beautiful. ;_;

It seems that this Banjo has taken inspiration from the later Jak and Daxter games.

Why does everything look so un-organic?

Jak and Daxter and Ratchet and Clank and Banjo and Kazooie?

:shakehead :shakehead :shakehead :shakehead :shakehead

...It doesn't look anything like Ratchet and Clank or Jak and Daxter though. :blank:

They are all techy.