NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Kevin_NL

Isn't Nintendo Wii heading the wrong way?

In the beginning of the Wii, at the tokyo game show, when Iwata first showed the Wiimote, i was really blown away, that day i saw it, nothing else than the controller of the Revolution was everything going on in my mind, and offcourse, i already was affraid of Sony stealing the idea, but seriously, now, Nintendo is going too far, they have smelled money, and now they make things far more expensive than they promised, they make profit on the Wii, the controller is very expensive (if you want a nunchuck) and offcourse, the games, same price as the gamecube, and the DVD player removed to make the production cheaper, Pro logic II, which is old right now, no battery pack in the wiimote, only white color available...

they promised games to be 30 - 40 euro, but now, they say games to be 50 - 60 euro, now they are going to far, stupid action, nintendo...

That is, if you ask me, how about you?

How do you think of nintendo's "make the production costs as low as possible"?

*btw sorry for any bad english, i'm dutch.

I dont think it is too expensive. And the games wont cost more then GameCube games.

What I do think they could improve, is making original innovative games, instead of doing the sequel dance.

Like a Mac.. who cares about the colour, you can put stickers on it or spray it.

Battery packs are silly (see other thread) there's plenty of good reasons to use AA.

Most houses have a DVD player now, either in a computer or in the house.. they can be picked up for £25 (a standard quality one). I admit it would have been nice but it's not a huge deal. Would've been handy for University really.

The controllers are expensive because they do a lot of shit, there is a whole bunch of tech in there that works really accurately (from reports) and if your friends/family use the system enough they shoudl chip in.

Pro-logic II is shit, I whole heartedy agree and I expect digital out but never mind.. it's still a phat console at a reasonable price.. prices always drop in price wars.. but Nintendo Europe can't canibalise their DS market by offering Wii games at £29.99 too.

Give it time and we'll have indie games and cult classics and you'll think it's worth it.

Remember the saying you can't have your cake and eat it.. well with Wii you can have the cake and throw it around the room.

they promised games to be 30 - 40 euro, but now, they say games to be 50 - 60 euro, now they are going to far, stupid action, nintendo...

They never said anything like that. I think you got hyped up too much, as the only broken promise you mention is the DVD playback for which no one really cares. Sure, the Wii is more expensive than most people wanted, but still I'm convinced it'll be worth the money.

So do I.

With my Xbox 360, because it has a quality DVD player with it capable of upscaling, I haven't connected my normal DVD player in months.

Oh come on, you can buy an equivalent DVD player (with digital surround) for 30 euros and, unless you've been living under a rock, you already have one.

Why would you choose the Wii DVD playback over the 360 one Dilli Gee? Seems to me your fine now, especially considering the PS3 is likely to be the best DVD player ever.

They never said anything like that. I think you got hyped up too much, as the only broken promise you mention is the DVD playback for which no one really cares. Sure, the Wii is more expensive than most people wanted, but still I'm convinced it'll be worth the money.

Actually, they did, thay said they reduce the graphics so the games would cost less, like about 30 - 40 euro

But yeah, still it will be worth the money, i still am going to buy a Wii but i'm a bit disappointed in nintendo right now, but Zelda: tp and Metroid Prime 3 sure are gonna rock!

Actually, they did, thay said they reduce the graphics so the games would cost less, like about 30 - 40 euro

No they didn't. Only thing that Nintendo promised that prices wouldn't rise from last generation and that there also would be nicely priced budget titles (like Brain Age).

But yeah, still it will be worth the money, i still am going to buy a Wii but i'm a bit disappointed in nintendo right now, but Zelda: tp and Metroid Prime 3 sure are gonna rock!

They never said anything like that. They said they wouldn't up the prices more, like what's happening with the Xbox360 and PS3 games. There's a difference there. So basically, they -are- cheaper, when compared to the rest. Also, prices may go from 40-60, and that really doesn't sound too bad to me, seeing as I've been paying 60 euro for every GC game already.

Also, they didn't -reduce- the graphics. What they mean is that they didn't focus on the graphical part of the console, which means graphics will take less development time, which may help reducing the price of making a game.

Nintendo continues to pave the way for lazy developing. Prepare for a whole new wave of Universal Studios.

"It's a Wii! We don't need to spend time on graphics or design."

Nintendo continues to pave the way for lazy developing. Prepare for a whole new wave of Universal Studios.

"It's a Wii! We don't need to spend time on graphics or design."

You talk such shit.

When it comes to design, Nintendo games have some of the best, and if you have a problem with the graphics then go and get a power house like the Xbox 360 or the PS3.

It's been clarified for a while now that the Wii will not have amazing looking games, and the reason for the non-games (e.g. Wii sports) from Nintendo having lack-luster graphics is because they don't need great graphics.

The reason for third party games looking a bit crap is because they're spending half the time trying to understand how to get the controls to work and also implementing them into ways that seem fun and not pointless.

Otherwise from that Super Mario Galaxy and Metroid Prime 3 look very impressive although I am someone who doesn't need photo-realistic graphics to even consider playing a game.

Having ten pieces of equipment is not cool, it is space taking, plug taking energy taking remote taking.

All in one toys (PS3/360) aren't cheap..

It would have just been nice to have had a HDD freeview box, a Wii and a TV.

1 remote for the TV and freeview, one remote for the Wii.

I have a laptop which can play DVDs.. I can't justify buying a DVD player which is why the Wii was a good compromise.

CBA with reading that other BS, you are being dick 'eads

They never said anything like that. They said they wouldn't up the prices more, like what's happening with the Xbox360 and PS3 games. There's a difference there. So basically, they -are- cheaper, when compared to the rest. Also, prices may go from 40-60, and that really doesn't sound too bad to me, seeing as I've been paying 60 euro for every GC game already.

Also, they didn't -reduce- the graphics. What they mean is that they didn't focus on the graphical part of the console, which means graphics will take less development time, which may help reducing the price of making a game.

Coulden't have put it better than that :D

Has Microsoft upped the prices of it's games?

I thought they allowed publishers to charge however much they want, as long as they paid the licensing fee.

Xbox games were rarely £40, maybe I was not paying much attention but I've never seen an Xbox game on a store shelf above £35 (that was Halo 2 collector's tin) and only I suppose they'd be less new.

15-20% price increase I'd say.

With my Xbox 360, because it has a quality DVD player with it capable of upscaling, I haven't connected my normal DVD player in months.

I use my 360 for DVD playback too, so I'm not bothered about the Wii not having it. :)

Funny cause I'm seeing games costing the same than current/last gen, a console cheaper than any other and controllers slightly more expensive but with way more advanced tech. But hey, bitching like a little girl is oh so cool.

The ridiculously expensive controllers are my only annoyance price-wise. The games will look considerably cheaper than the PS3 and 360 on the shop shelf, and you get Wii Sports included in the box with the console, good deal.

I think Nintendo could stand to make a small loss on each controller sold if it would lower the price and make them more affordable. I don't think we'll see anyone owning 4 sets of controllers as they might have with the PS2/Xbox/GC.

Sign in to follow this