NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
CompSci

Alan Wake

Wow indeed. I really didn't want an 360 untill a few months back when I saw a trailer for this game and thought it looked amazing. Now just gotta get saving for the 360! :)

Holy crap. The size of those environments. Its a shame the guy runs like a dumbass.

looks tastey but how does it play?

Hopefully similar to Max Payne.

Is it coming out this year? I've been waiting for a long time.

fingers cross, plz let it be like Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth

That game wouldn't work on my PC and I so wanted to play it....My PC sucks :blank:

That game wouldn't work on my PC and I so wanted to play it....My PC sucks :blank:

dude get the xbox vr... its worth the trouble

I can't wait for this game, expecially since when they finish it they'll be able to get on with Max Payne 3

From IGN:

Alan Wake is a "psychological action thriller" set in a small town in Washington and the surrounding area and follows the game's namesake as he deals with his seriously screwed up psyche. Whether the bad things happening are mystic or madness is yet to be determined. What we do know is that Remedy has created a fully explorable environment for that creepy action to take place. It's a fully functional simulated little world and it's about to get dark.

Alan Wake is a horror writer whose fiancé was his muse. Whenever he was with her, sleeping by her side, he dreamed the dark dreams of the demented. Now, while I'd be the kind of guy to dump her and run for the hills, Alan not only was in love, but was profiting off of the dreams. His nightmares because the reality of best selling horror novels. But when his fiancé mysteriously disappeared, never to be heard from again, he stopped dreaming. In fact, he was so crushed by the loss that he stopped sleeping altogether. That can make a guy pretty tired and also pretty loopy.

Before too long, he retreated to the sleepy town of Pride Falls in the state of Washington to check into the sleep clinic outside of town. After curing the problem and getting a little bit of sleep, Alan finds and sleeps with a woman that looks eerily like his missing love. Yes, that's pretty messed up. What's even more messed up is that he immediately starts having the dreams again. The problem is, when he begins writing again, the dreams start seeping into real life.

The question for Alan is simple and complicated all at once. Are these visions and dreams really coming to life, or is he simply slipping into a dangerous dementia from which there is no return?

The story will be presented in a film noir approach similar to Max Payne in terms of dialogue, but we were only shown a quick engine driven cutscene where Alan was trying to make it to a lighthouse before the sun went down. As the camera panned back across the short dockway leading out to the lighthouse, several robed figures stood menacingly staring at the distraught Wake who had since curled into a ball.

Light and dark are a major story point and gameplay mechanic in the game as well. Alan's nightmares seem to only materialize when it's dark, giving Alan great need for tools like flashlights, portable spotlights, car headlights, and even the lighthouse. As the game progresses, night will start to last longer and longer and enemies will become bolder.

some snippets from eurogamer:

Quote: "But something is horribly horribly wrong. Somehow, impossibly, the town of Pride Falls starts to change at nightfall. Something horrible that bears a close resemblance to Wake's nightmares. Wake is fighting for his life with a gun and a flashlight in his hand, trying to understand what's happened to him, what's real and what's imagined. Can he hope to escape, or has he gone mad?"

They have some vague gameplay details, too:

Quote: "It's a mission-based design, and you could say that previously we were maybe doing kind of a movie set game," says Lake. Whether the game will take the sandbox structure of GTA remains unclear, but it seems certain the game will be a lot less restricted in structure than Remedy's previous efforts.

"This time we set out to model the whole world, and we've made quite a big effort in making this living breathing world where everything runs within a simulation and everything interacts," he explains. As if to prove the point, the wind can dynamically change the way the water moves, whipping up a storm and sending leaves swirling through the air with stunning realism. It's evident that Remedy's claim that "everything has a physical dynamic" is no idle marketing claim. As you'd expect from a next-gen game sporting Havok physics, everything is open to dynamic interaction with, reacting to what you do. With real-time lighting the spectacle is a very impressive one, with perfect shadows cast on the smallest level. "Mountains cast huge volumetric shadows," Lake says. "You can really see something that we think has never been done in real-time before, and that's truly next generation."

The most cunning aspect of the attention to detail over the lighting is that it has huge gameplay implications specific to the game. "Lighting is a very critical gameplay element. As Wake's world turns more and more nightmarish, darkness gets a stronger hold of him," asserts Lake. "Nights grow longer, days shorter. Wake's enemies - the shadowy men that haunt his dreams - come out at night.

"They seem to gain their strength from darkness and vice versa. That means that night time is the most dangerous time in the game and light is a valuable ally, be it the sun or the flashlight Wake waves around," Lake promises. "We have all kinds of ideas that we want to explore in this. Portable floodlights that the player can place anywhere he wants in the world, or motion sensors that turn those lights on automatically when an enemy approaches. When light is a gameplay element even ordinary things such as a lighthouse offer interesting and exciting gameplay possibilities," he adds.

Indeed, the game feels like a more interactive, more believable Silent Hill. An unhinged game where you've every reason to feel scared of things that come adorned in black-hooded robes and stalk the night.

As ever, Remedy is drawing on familiar themes to create something all of its own: "In the Max Payne games we used movies as our inspiration - John Woo and Hong Kong action movies for the gameplay, Film Noir detective stories for the game story. This is our way of doing things. We take the classic elements that everyone is familiar with and we make something new out of them. Max Payne's story arc was modelled on a movie. With Alan Wake, we are using a season of a TV series."

Wow, looks absolutely fantastic! Actually words can't describe how fantastic this looks! I've wanted it for ages, ever since seeing a trailer about September 2005.

Spring 2007 release date supposadely? So March? May?

Spring 2007 release date supposadely? So March? May?

March in EU, probably.

I want a new computer then.

I just know im gonna need at least more RAM. My rpocessor will probably melt..

Then again, it oughtta run with min spec Processor.

dude get the xbox vr... its worth the trouble

Wish I could but at the moment I don't have a 360 as im saving for one and I never did get the original one as it didn't interest me enough....come to think of it is it even backwards compatible on the 360? If it is i'll definatley pick it up when I get one. :)

Get the original 2 on PC, they'll run on aything. Plus, ive played the 1st on PS2 and i thought the controls sucked a bit of ass after having a mouse and 'board.

I'm just not excited about this game, yes it looks pretty and the effects in it are unlike anything i've seen before but i'm not excited about the game yet.

I'm hoping i'll see some exciting gameplay before too long so i can start getting excited but as for now, as far as i've seen, it just looks like a boring beautiful tech demo.

Excellent stuff. Now I just need a £1000+ PC to enjoy it all. :heh:

Or you could just buy a 360

Sign in to follow this