NEurope
Dante

Opera Wii - temporary free until June 2007 (All regions)

Opera Software today announced details on its browser for Nintendo’s soon-to-be released game console, Wii. Opera’s full Web browser is available for download from the "Wii Shop Channel". Nintendo has stated that they will offer Opera free of charge as a temporary promotion for all Wii users until June 2007.

From July 2007, users can purchase the Opera browser using Wii points. Wii points are credits users can buy that allow them to add new games or the Opera browser to their Wii consoles. The number of Wii points required to purchase Opera has not yet been announced.

With support for Flash and AJAX-based content such as Google maps, Wii users will benefit from a feature-rich Internet experience that is uniquely customized for the Wii. Opera for Wii boasts the same complete standards support as the Opera 9 Desktop browser, and includes the added functionality of "Zoom" and "Bookmarks". The Wii remote control will also be an integral part of browsing, allowing users to intuitively control the Web with their Wii remotes.

Nintendo has previously announced that Wii will be available in the U.S. on November 19, 2006, Japan on December 2, 2006, and in Europe on December 8, 2006. The cost for the console is $249.99 or 25,000 Yen.

Opera

So does that mean that if we buy a Wii on launch or before June, we get to keep the Opera Browser? Or does it go away after June? Then you have to rebuy it? The thing just seemed vague because it said temporary promotion.

Tellyn888

Opera’s full Web browser is available for download from the "Wii Shop Channel". Nintendo has stated that they will offer Opera free of charge as a temporary promotion for all Wii users until June 2007.

From July 2007, users can purchase the Opera browser using Wii points. Wii points are credits users can buy that allow them to add new games or the Opera browser to their Wii consoles. The number of Wii points required to purchase Opera has not yet been announced.

This is great news. I was a bit miffed about having to pay for it, but now im happy.

No more booting up my pc, taking ages just to look at a guide. :D

I think it means you wont have to re-purchase it.

Yeh! That's what I think too.

Basicly people who buy the Wii before June 2007 get a free web-browser and hopefuly to keep/ not have to re-purchase it.

on screen keyboard I guess, shouldn't be too hard once you're used to the controller!

A propper keyboard will be released. Probably.

I'll buy a cheap wireless one if I see one lying about.

Im sure that itll mean that it wont be free for all after July Id be well surprised if it was, after all this is a company and they are out to make money as well as the fact that its pretty common for premium services to be free for the beginning of its life only when it has a lot more customers it demands to be paid for!

Well we can live in hope anyway!

9342.jpg

I'd love to see the return of this one.

Ah,I remeber that.Did it ever get released in Europe?

It's good news even if they take it off of us after June, it's better if they let us keep it but whatever. Only thing, how does the Wii go online? With the dongle? Cause if that's how then, well, there ain't much point.

Why the hell would anyone want to pay for a browser? Firefox and IE are free on Macs and PCs, why does it have to cost money for a Wii browser?

Outside of computers, Microsoft don't charge for IE on mobile phones and PDAs either.

That thing got released? omg what is the world coming too......

gc-re4-chainsaws.jpg

I saw one of them in Virgin in Glasgow a few months back.

Only thing, how does the Wii go online? With the dongle? Cause if that's how then, well, there ain't much point.

With the dongle, wireless router, wireless PCI card or the USB ethernet thing that Nintendo spoke about a while ago.

It's good news even if they take it off of us after June, it's better if they let us keep it but whatever. Only thing, how does the Wii go online? With the dongle? Cause if that's how then, well, there ain't much point.

It goes online through the wi-fi. There's no ethernet port on the system, so that seems to be the only logical explanation.

I doubt i use this anyway. Of course it's nice it's free till June at least.

Can't help thinking it should be free all the time, but overall? I really don't care.