NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Zechs Merquise

Thoughts on Wii from a long time fan

My only fear is that the Wii games are too simplistic. I felt the Gamecube lost something over the N64 because it was more 'American' (i.e more big explosion thrills and special weapons etc) than previous Nintendo systems. Things such as the special weapons in Mario Tennis and the slightly simpler basic control scheme and lack of shortcuts/increase in weapon use in Mario Kart DD are good examples of what I'm on about.

I hope that there are still some proper classic Nintendo games in amongst all the 'Family games' like wii sports and the like. I think the DS MarioKart was much better than Double Dash and like the direction that the DS has gone in as opposed to the direction the cube was taking.

I just hope some games can be played using the classic controller as well! I don't know about you guys, but sometimes I love to just sit back in my chair and relax with a game, the controller sat in my lap, no effort - just an enjoyable experience.

I don't relish the thought of hoping around my living room swinging my arms around the place in order to control Link. On one hand it is a cool idea, and one that I'm sure will appeal to many, and I for one think will get the attention of the public. However, I do like to relax a bit with some games!

I think its because the wii has lost some of that wow factor. Probably because we haven't seen anything really worth while since maybe E3. Yeah there have been events along the way, but it was mostly just updates of games we had already seen. Maybe once the ad campaign kicks in you might remember why you wanted one to begin with.

On the topic of graphics and realism in games, I thought I'd share something that my girlfriend said to me today. I ordered Donkey Konga and it came in the post this morning. I plugged it in and had a quick go, and my girlfriend sat watching. After a couple of minutes watching she was sat next to me in front of the TV and was actually playing it and enjoying it. Later on I went for a shower and returned to find her at it again.

Now she's not a typical gamer, but she really enjoyed playing Donkey Konga, and I asked her why, she said because it was fun. She also stated that she played a lot of games when she was younger, but had been put off current generation games because they were too complicated and she didn't like to play for a 'greater level of realism', but wanted a game that escaped realism and was just 'fun'. She wasn't worried that Donkey wasn't beating his bongos in HD.

Maybe the Wii is just what gaming needs. Maybe this is going to bring in a whole new sphere of gamers, people who just want to play for fun and escape reality. People who aren't bothered about having HD and blu-ray but just about having a good time.

Maybe the Wii will do for the world what the DS has - reinvigorate the gaming. Which brings me onto another thing my girlfriend told me, she works on the games/electrical desk at what happens to be the biggest ASDA in the UK. She said they are always selling out of the DS, but can't shift PSPs for love nor money.

She went on to talk about her love for the original mario games and how she used to have a SNES and loved it. Well, maybe the Wii with it's fun and seemingly simplistic approach coupled with the virtual console could just be the revolution we all hope for.

She said they are always selling out of the DS, but can't shift PSPs for love nor money.

The PSP isn't aimed at the mass market though. DS is.

ofcourse the PSP wasn't aimed at the mass market. What with its Movie and MP3 playing, and Websurfing capablities its clearly aimed at the core-gamer.:laughing:

ofcourse the PSP wasn't aimed at the mass market. What with its Movie and MP3 playing, and Websurfing capablities its clearly aimed at the core-gamer.:laughing:

What's so funny? I never said it was aimed at the core-gamer.

blah blah bollox titty nipple tease.

so what. we are worried about this (again), let be intellectual and discuss with mamoth posts.

i am bored with it now. comeon people can we just wait till it is released play it then come back and bitch about it?

it is also amazing how many people crawl out of the woodwork who have been here for so long but now decide that it is the time to become a member. odd? eh?

What's so funny? I never said it was aimed at the core-gamer.

Who is the PSP aimed at then?

it is also amazing how many people crawl out of the woodwork who have been here for so long but now decide that it is the time to become a member. odd? eh?

Yeah, I've been viewing these boards for a while and just thought I would get involved.

I can't help but notice Dilli Gee's posts always slagging off anything to do with the Wii, yet I'm sure I read somewhere he's buying one. Why oh why would you want to buy something if you don't like it. Maybe that's because he knows deep down the Wii is going to be the best thing since sliced bread (exaggeration but you know what I mean) and he just can't accept it yet.

Maybe that's because he knows deep down the Wii is going to be the best thing since sliced bread

SLICED BREAD!!! Since when?!?!? Where was I when this happened:shock: :awesome:

SLICED BREAD!!! Since when?!?!? Where was I when this happened:shock: :awesome:

Not sure but if you stick it in the Wii it pops out 3 minutes later golden brown and slightly toasted.

Not sure but if you stick it in the Wii it pops out 3 minutes later golden brown and slightly toasted.

I remember that. I'm lucky I wasn't drinking water when I read this, my screen would be all wet.:heh:

The PSP is aimed at the mass market, or at least Sony think it is! They thought they would capture the handheld market by pushing the new graphical level of handhelds to the limit and including extras such as MP3 and movie playback.

On the topic of graphics and realism in games, I thought I'd share something that my girlfriend said to me today. I ordered Donkey Konga and it came in the post this morning. I plugged it in and had a quick go, and my girlfriend sat watching. After a couple of minutes watching she was sat next to me in front of the TV and was actually playing it and enjoying it. Later on I went for a shower and returned to find her at it again.

Now she's not a typical gamer, but she really enjoyed playing Donkey Konga, and I asked her why, she said because it was fun. She also stated that she played a lot of games when she was younger, but had been put off current generation games because they were too complicated and she didn't like to play for a 'greater level of realism', but wanted a game that escaped realism and was just 'fun'. She wasn't worried that Donkey wasn't beating his bongos in HD.

Maybe the Wii is just what gaming needs. Maybe this is going to bring in a whole new sphere of gamers, people who just want to play for fun and escape reality. People who aren't bothered about having HD and blu-ray but just about having a good time.

Maybe the Wii will do for the world what the DS has - reinvigorate the gaming. Which brings me onto another thing my girlfriend told me, she works on the games/electrical desk at what happens to be the biggest ASDA in the UK. She said they are always selling out of the DS, but can't shift PSPs for love nor money.

She went on to talk about her love for the original mario games and how she used to have a SNES and loved it. Well, maybe the Wii with it's fun and seemingly simplistic approach coupled with the virtual console could just be the revolution we all hope for.

Sounds pretty much like me. I want my games to be fun, not something that tries to be as realistic as possible (in graphics mostly then). I think OoT (and soon TP) are the only games I have (will have) that sort of have "realistic" graphics. Most of my games are all colourful and vivid and I love them because of that. Plus they're all just great fun. I think that's what it should be about, and I really think that Nintendo is gonna bring in more gamers with the way they are going. I know I can't wait to get my family even more interested in games (my sisters liked Wario Ware for the GC and games like Big Brain Academy and Mario Tennis, so I'm sure they'll find games to like on the Wii too).

I personally feel that another reason alot of people are feeling underwhelmed at the moment is down to the lack of high quality videos/screens and general information from Nintendo. A Simple marketing strategy that seems to have passed them by. (im sure a number of reasons are to blame for this.)

We are just over two months away from launch and TBH i havent really seen that much extra since E3.

I personally feel that another reason alot of people are feeling underwhelmed at the moment is down to the lack of high quality videos/screens and general information from Nintendo. A Simple marketing strategy that seems to have passed them by. (im sure a number of reasons are to blame for this.)

We are just over two months away from launch and TBH i havent really seen that much extra since E3.

I agree fully, where as we are deluged with screens and vids for new games for the 360 and PS3 every day, we've lacked that with the Wii. However some of the screens we have seen for Zelda TP and Red Steel have actually looked pretty damn sweet

Sign in to follow this