NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
gj15987

Controller Sensitivity

So I was playing around with my laser pen today and it occured to me that in a way its the same as the pointing device in the Wii controller, which made me think...When you make a small movement with a laser, the distance the dot at the end of the laser moves is far greater than how much you need to move the actual pen.

So if you've got a great big telly in your house and you're sitting over the other side of the room to play, wont it be hard to aim arrows n stuff in Zelda or point at things on menus? Or have Nintendo overcome this somehow? Cus like....all you'd need to do is move your hand slightly and you could get it to aim from the bottom of the screen to the top!

Sorry if this has been mentioned before.

We don't know much about the callibration of the controller yet. :/

From the videos I've seen of people using the controller, there is a bit of wobbling going on but in the interface video when theat guy is creating a little Sam L. Jackson Mii, he manages to type in the name just fine. Those buttons were pretty small too!

Zelda suffers from over-sensitivity, according to many people. I hope they add some sort of lag to prevent that.

We don't know much about the callibration of the controller yet. :/

From the videos I've seen of people using the controller, there is a bit of wobbling going on but in the interface video when theat guy is creating a little Sam L. Jackson Mii, he manages to type in the name just fine. Those buttons were pretty small too!

The controls on the Wii channel demonstrations look much more stable than, say, the first videos of Monkey Ball where it looked like Mohammed Ali was trying to navigate the menu.

Zelda suffers from over-sensitivity, according to many people. I hope they add some sort of lag to prevent that.

Not too much otherwise Zelda will suffer from over-lag. BALANCE is the key, just like it is for life itself.

I think they'll absolutely need multiple sensitivity settings.

On the one hand because some players are more skilled than others. For instance I move my mouse 2 centimeters to move over the whole screen (1280px) but other people can hit and icon on that setting but it's fine for me.

The bigger problem is actually the distance to the screen.

Because the closer you are to the screen the further you have to wiimote to move to get to the edge.

WiiPointer.jpg

The blue thing is where you point with the Wiimote. Now that "ray" hits the first TV pretty much in the middle because the player is very close to it however at the same angle the TV2 is only barely hit at the edge.

That diagram may be useless as I was pretty sure that the pointing device works with the sensor bar. Also it could be done with the gyros.

That diagram may be useless as I was pretty sure that the pointing device works with the sensor bar. Also it could be done with the gyros.

But the sensor bar sits on your TV so whether it's called TV or sensor bar is irrelevant.

And the sensor bar will also detect the angle of the Wiimote to the sensor so it's essentially the same (except for lightgun style games).

Developers need to get used to the controls but they seem to turn out fine, judging MP3 hand-ons.

I've often thought about this. Cos I only have a small portable when I'm at uni and my room is quite small, so wil be sat close to screen! so this would surely affect it.

But the sensor bar sits on your TV so whether it's called TV or sensor bar is irrelevant.

And the sensor bar will also detect the angle of the Wiimote to the sensor so it's essentially the same (except for lightgun style games).

But the sensor bar is not picking up a beam from the Wiimote, it's reading how far away the controller is and where it is in 3d space.

Im now scared my screen may be too small and I'l have a tough time aiming, my hands shake alot..

lol my worries exactly! I don't think i have the best aim ever!

Guys panic not. Nintendo have stated that the Wii controller will work with ANY television.

No No no no. It doesnt have to act like a lazer pointer. That is probably one of its lesser technologies.

TV size is irrelevant as the Wii has no clue how big the T.V is.

My take on it is that once you set up the sensor bar properly (and providing the sensor bar is stable and won't wobble about the place) the Wii surely will have a calibration procedure so that when you point at your screen at various crosshair points the sensor bar will detect where the centre of the TV screen by where you're pointing, not literally by using the size of the TV screen or anything else. I have a 42" TV but it would make absolutely no difference to someone playing on a 21" tube once it's calibrated properly.

Sign in to follow this