NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Atomic Boo

Richard Hammond Accident

I saw this on the news earlier and it scared me a bit.

Mr Hammond had been driving a dragster-style car capable of reaching 300mph at the former RAF airfield in Elvington, near York.

"They had just done one more run and were planning to finish when it veered off to the right.

"One of the parachutes had deployed but it went on to the grass and spun over and over before coming to a rest about 100 yards from us."

He said his crew and an ambulance that was already on the airfield rushed over and found the car upside down and "dug in" to the grass.

Mr Ogden said he felt for a pulse and heard Mr Hammond breathing before the emergency crews worked together to turn the car the right way up and then cut him free.

He added: "He was regaining consciousness at that point and said he had some lower back pain. But he was drifting in and out of consciousness a little bit."

The good news is that he is stable but how could the BBC let this happen?

link ( http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/north_yorkshire/5365676.stm )

Well...with it being an accident I assume, no one had much say...?

This is very sad news, man I hope he comes out okay, hes awesome.

Richard Hammond is one of my favourite TV presenters, and Top Gear is my favourite show, so I was shocked to read about this when I woke up. :(

I'm glad to hear his condition is improving now, I hope he pulls through and makes a full recovery.

Richard Hammond is one of my favourite TV presenters, and Top Gear is my favourite show, so I was shocked to read about this when I woke up. :(

I'm glad to hear his condition is improving now, I hope he pulls through and makes a full recovery.

Quoted because it's the truth.

I heard about this last night. I think its a terrible accident, but the BBC didn't "let" it happen. It was an accident. Accidents are just that, accidents!

I hope he isnt too seriously injured, although it looks like he's being kept in a neurology ward - which could imply some degree of brain damage....

I hope he pulls through, my thoughts are with him and his family.

Apparently he was doing 300 mph when it happend. From what i've read he deployed the parachutes which act as a break and he veered off the the right and it rolled a couple of times

I don't think the BBC really has much say in what those guys do, driving cars ridiculously fast is their job and their passion and I think he would have been a bit pissed off if the BBC had come in and said he couldn't do it because of health and safety. He took a risk because it was what he enjoyed. Anyway, come on Richard pull through.

Shame. I love Richard Hammond, he's hilarious on Top Gear and Brainiac and I love it when he argues with Clarkson. I, like many, hope he pulls through. :weep:

Heard about this last night, I hope he pulls through. He's a great presenter and a really funny guy.

Top Gear's Jeremy Clarkson has paid tribute to his co-presenter Richard Hammond, who is in a serious condition in hospital after a high-speed crash.

Clarkson, speaking at Leeds General Infirmary, where 36-year-old Hammond is "serious but stable'' in intensive care, said: "I would just like to say how heartened Richard will be when I tell him just how many motorists and truck drivers on my way here wound down their windows to say they were rooting for him.

"James May (Top Gear co-presenter) and I are at the hospital in Leeds where Richard remains in intensive care. Obviously at this time both he and his family are the most important concerns we have. It must be devastating for his wife Mindy and his two utterly adorable children.

"Both James and I are looking forward to getting our hamster back.''

the car after the crash:

20060921051209990002.451286d7-00094-03134-400cb8e1

He is a top presenter, hope he pulls through ok, and gets back to doing what he does best.

The reason why I put that BBC thing at the end was because my friend told me that 1 in every 3 races one of those 'cars' flip out. OK he wanted to take a risk, but it was a stupid one.

I very much doubt that the Beeb would have let Hammond drive something like that if they believed there was a significant risk of injury. The BBC is well known for it's stringent health & safety precautions. It's still a god damn shame this has happend though.

Sky News has just reported that doctors have said that Hammond has suffered what they believe to be "significant brain damage". He's in a stable condition and recovering quickly, but it doesn't sound good. :(

Sky News has just reported that doctors have said that Hammond has suffered what they believe to be "significant brain damage". He's in a stable condition and recovering quickly, but it doesn't sound good. :(

Thats well bad. :( :( :(

he is hilarious on brainiac.i dont watch top gear at all.hope he pulls through and returns to his old fun self

I love Richard Hammond, such a complete legend. I'm glad to hear his condition is improving.

i was gutted when i heard but this last night :o really hope he pulls through hes one of my fav presenters

Sign in to follow this