NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Pestneb

next gen discs

its a good thing for consumers and movie studios and the people who invented it. If the format war can be avoided,everyone wins.

Good post, though it might be better suited if it were moved to the tech page.:wink:

yeah I wasn't sure where to put it though, I could see a few ways the thread could go, so in the end decided general was the most suited place for it.

If the admins agree with you I'm sure it'll be deleted/moved soon enough

Wouldn't this discs need permission from Sony and Toshiba, I don't see why they would want to share profits.

Wouldn't this discs need permission from Sony and Toshiba, I don't see why they would want to share profits.

They don't/can't own the whole format themselves.....right?

They don't/can't own the whole format themselves.....right?

True but Sony and Toshiba were the main companies in each one. Though I don't see why Apple, Microsoft, Dell, etc... would only want to share especially how both sides have spend alot of money on the technology. Also why is normal dvd on it. Isn't that just bumping on the price cause they will still make dvds for a while just like they still make vhs.

In the end HD-DVD will win just because people will be able to use HD-DVDRW. Heck I know I would like to be able to store "Massive" amounts of "Data"(no not just Pr0n:shakehead :red: ) without having to have all these disk lying around.

In the end HD-DVD will win just because people will be able to use HD-DVDRW.

You can already buy BD-RE (Blu-Ray Disc [yes, you have to spell it wrong] Recordable) disks...

You can already buy BD-RE (Blu-Ray Disc [yes, you have to spell it wrong] Recordable) disks...

yeah but you will have to use some sort of sony based program that will probably cost alot.

yeah but you will have to use some sort of sony based program that will probably cost alot.

No, there is no Sony program. Its cyberlink or windvd.

yeah but Blu-Ray is more restrictive, with copyright protection etc. built in.

In short it makes putting illegit data on a disc harder, but at the cost of making it harder to get legit data on the disc.

if you want to put on a text document for example, I imagine both formats will be just as easy, but if you want to say put a copy of a few CD's onto the one disc then blu-ray is more likely to pose difficulties.

Thats what I understand at least.

Sign in to follow this