NEurope

The problem is if they changed it to something more sensible like "nothing will ever bring him down", that's fine and fits much better... but then you get another group of people complaining that they took away from the original meaning.

The people that complain that don't need subs.

The problem is if they changed it to something more sensible like "nothing will ever bring him down", that's fine and fits much better... but then you get another group of people complaining that they took away from the original meaning.

The "original meaning" is just an expression. I echo Shino's words.

If there is a pun involved, there's not much harm in using the original expression (since you can kinda make out what it means).

But it's usually better to use an expression that the viewers can easily understand.

There are a few english expressions that sound ridiculous in Portuguese, and I'm certain that the opposite also happens.

LOL A few!!? Sometimes I translate english titles from movies or games to portuguese and that's more than enough to ensure a healthy laugh. Everything sounds so ridiculous if done in the right way.

Super Smash Bros Braw = Super Confusão Esmaga os Irmãos

Piece of cake = pedaço de bolo

GameBoy = Jogo Rapaz

Xbox = Caixa X

Metal Gear Solid = Equipamento Metálico e Sólido

The possibilities are endless. The "cool" factor instantly disappears and becomes ridiculous. Maybe the other way around is the same.

Brawl doesn't mean confusão, it's more like... luta or luta confusa at max... but yeah :P

Howl's Moving Castle is such a beautiful film. I think the PS3s upscaling did it's job, it looked hella nice. The colours were so vibrant and I'd had the brightness turned down, not on it's usual settings.

Such a nice film though, now I'm finally not confused as to what happens in the film. I think the last time I watched it was when the DVD was released; Sept 1st 2005 (wiki). It's been ages, but now I'm at an age I understand what was going on in the film.

Such a nice film though, now I'm finally not confused as to what happens in the film. I think the last time I watched it was when the DVD was released; Sept 1st 2005 (wiki). It's been ages, but now I'm at an age I understand what was going on in the film.

You know why? Because something happened between those two times you watched it.

TENGEN TOPPA GURREN LAGANN

I sorta feel like NOT watching Gurren Lagann, as if you're doing some sort of reverse psychology on me by telling us to watch it. over and over again

Heck, I annoy you all by watching dubs. I might as well do another 400m lap of annoyance. :wink:

You're not fooling anyone, the real reason is not having dubs of it. ;)

You're not fooling anyone, the real reason is not having dubs of it. ;)

I took your statement, and wiped my arse with it!

I watched Clannad (and loved it). Clannad hasn't been dubbed. : peace:

LOL A few!!? Sometimes I translate english titles from movies or games to portuguese and that's more than enough to ensure a healthy laugh. Everything sounds so ridiculous if done in the right way.

Super Smash Bros Braw = Super Confusão Esmaga os Irmãos

Piece of cake = pedaço de bolo

GameBoy = Jogo Rapaz

Xbox = Caixa X

Metal Gear Solid = Equipamento Metálico e Sólido

The possibilities are endless. The "cool" factor instantly disappears and becomes ridiculous. Maybe the other way around is the same.

Yeah, but that's normal

Everything sounds cooler in English

Seriously, just watch it. It is awesome. No other words can be said.

How very dare you!

Yeah, but that's normal

Everything sounds cooler in English

Of course, it's normal for brand names, since english is short, and succint. Those would sound bad in most non-english languages.

But it also happens when you translate non-english expressions to english, obviously.

I sorta feel like NOT watching Gurren Lagann, as if you're doing some sort of reverse psychology on me by telling us to watch it. over and over again

You're only doing yourself a disservice. Honestly, look at Stefkov's avatar. See those bandages on Lord Kamina's arms? I bet he woke up one morning before the anime had started and suddenly realised how ultimate his anime would be, so his lower arms exploded and had to be tucked together quickly before the show began.

You're only doing yourself a disservice. Honestly, look at Stefkov's avatar. See those bandages on Lord Kamina's arms? I bet he woke up one morning before the anime had started and suddenly realised how ultimate his anime would be, so his lower arms exploded and had to be tucked together quickly before the show began.

That's so not what happened man, what happened is that he beat up some uber tough dudes cuz he is so manly

Time for some motivation! :p

GurrenLagannMotivation.jpg

Today I watched Soul Eater Episode 8 and 9 which were great! :D

Episode 8:

I like the fact I got to see Stein's Fighting Style and how he works wtih Maka's Dad. It was an entertaining fight between him and Krona. Also like the fact that the witch works and shibusen. But didn't like Poor Soul getting infected :(

Episode 9:

First episode without any fighting! :o It was still interesting and I liked the team up of Black Star and Death the Kidd.

Excalibur is annoying! (but also hilarious :D)

For anyone reading the manga do we get to see more of him? :)

By the by, can someone tell me who the best Soul Eater sub group is? I've been getting AEN's releases and they've been fine but I see more groups have released more episodes.

PS: Gurren Lagann figurine is win. As is the first soundtrack CD.

As is the first soundtrack CD.

What is the difference between the Best Sound and the Soundtrack CD?

What is the difference between the Best Sound and the Soundtrack CD?

Right now I can't tell you. Give me a while and I'll get the Sound track CD and tell you. Looking at the playlist it looks like the Soundtrack CD has all the Best Sound songs but has a few more, 24 more songs.

those fansubs are hilarious, I especially like when they decided to keep in "hai" and "keikaku" and then put in a translator's note. If you're going to do that, you might as well do it for every word.

And when they use the likes of "death god" in bleach, for the first few episodes, then change it to shinigami. That gets on my nerves :heh:

The "he wouldn't die even if you killed him" stuff, that's really not that funny though. It's a phrase in Japan, it doesn't translate that well, but that's literally what they say.

Yeah i understood most of them fine, they are just a touch erroneous on the grammatical side, but its manageable. I had versions of some anime that had horrific mistakes on the subs.

@coolness; Your one wins this thread dude *high fives*

And when they use the likes of "death god" in bleach, for the first few episodes, then change it to shinigami. That gets on my nerves :heh:

There are some things I love to see in the original Japanese. The perfect example is "nakama" in One Piece. Also I love to see the moves like "Kage Bunshin no Jutsu" rather than "Shadow Clone technique". But "Keikaku"?? Why :wtf: It's almost like the fansub group was trying to join in some kind of cool fad, and made the dumbest choice ever.

Finally finished Higurashi..Kai. The ending confused me.

So that was Takano, the little child, in the past and her parents didn't die, meaning it was an alternate story. That purple haird woman was who? Rika? Does that mean she went back in time to stop Takano's parents dying to stop the eventual course she takes to take out Rika? Is that the basis of the next season?

Also Satoshi was still alive...wth

Damn it!

I read all the soul mater out thats been scanlated into english, and presuming thats all theres currently to it, stroll my way over to 4chan and some fucking wanker has been posting spoilarz

Fucking Excalibur and his technician appear and are absolutely pwning every one, i hope its a special and not canon