N-Europe

Rumour: Nintendo should worry...

Dilli Gee

The only games that excite me at launch are Zelda and Red Steel. Whilst Nintendo as a company has three top profile games (Mario, Zelda and Metroid), so does Microsoft (Gears of War and Halo). And there have been some incredible 360 games in the past year, like Dead Rising.

I think Microsoft has the better games, at least out of the games we know in production for Wii.

And you know that because you played Halo3, Gears of War and any of the Wii games, right?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So say it is £220 for a PREMIUM Xbox 360. That's only £40 more than a Wii, and mass population are going to be more attracted to that than a Wii (unfortunately).
That logic is not working in Japan for X360, and it never really worked for GC against PS2.

Bottom line is; if Nintendo manages to sell pretty good it's not going to matter.

One of Wii's strenght is when you play test it at the store, that's bound to shift a big chunk of consoles this year, even from people who are going to the store to buy a X360 and just change their mind. Most casual public don't even know how to distinguish 480p from 720p.

The biggest drawback is the store staff, that tends to be playstation/xbox geeks who will advise the customers not to buy Nintendo, price would surely help to make the decision.

But who knows, Wii might change this store staff's opinion.

EDIT:

The only games that excite me at launch are Zelda and Red Steel. Whilst Nintendo has three top profile games (Mario, Zelda and Metroid), so does Microsoft (Gears of War and Halo).
I love the phrasing: Nintendo has three top games! (3 games named) so does microsoft! (2 games mentioned), pure class, mate.

First of all, may i point out how different the Wii and 360 are.

Seriously, take a look at what both systems have to offer.

What do you see?

Both systems are individual. They are NOT alike, at least, not in many ways.

Wii is all about offering new ways to play. If a consumer sees the Wiimote and understands what it does, then why would they then go to purchase a 360, which offers something completely different?

Yes, they are both games systems. But, it is far easier to compare a Xbox360 to a Playstation3 than the Wii. In my opinion, Microsoft have to worry more about the PS3 than the Wii, as the Wii caters for a totally different market. The PS3 is sorta stepping on the 360's turf, if you get me.

Yes it has been out for a year, therefore it might be a good time to take a look at the system especially after the price drop.

tbh I'm quite interested in getting a 360 so I would welcome a price drop with open arms. competition means better value for the customer.

the difference between Nintendo and Microsoft is Microsoft is willing to sell stuff at a loss to get it into people's homes and make money in other ways such as games, xbox live service etc. this is one of the reasons why xbox shifted more units than the Cube, but I wouldn't bet the Cube was more profitable.

I hope they do drop the price of the 360.

I love the phrasing: Nintendo has three top games! (3 games named) so does microsoft! (2 games mentioned), pure class, mate.

I've got an A-grade in A-level English, I'm pretty certain you'd rarely find me making a mistake like that again.

If I continuously make grammar mistakes than go ahead, take the piss out of me, but I don't, and I make sure I don't, so your type of response is out of proportion.

I've got an A-grade in A-level English, I'm pretty certain you'd rarely find me making a mistake like that again.

If I continuously make grammar mistakes than go ahead, take the piss out of me, but I don't, and I make sure I don't, so your type of response is out of proportion.

Eh? He meant your counting skills. As you stated that Nintendo had 3 top games, while MS only had 2. At least, that's what i think he meant. :)

Yes, they are both games systems. But, it is far easier to compare a Xbox360 to a Playstation3 than the Wii. In my opinion, Microsoft have to worry more about the PS3 than the Wii, as the Wii caters for a totally different market. The PS3 is sorta stepping on the 360's turf, if you get me.

Microsoft will have shipped 10 million units by the end of the year, so I don't think they're worried. The Xbox team are probably more worried about Zune, and are prepping that up.

Eh? He meant your counting skills. As you stated that Nintendo had 3 top games, while MS only had 2. At least, that's what i think he meant. :)

Oh okay. Yeah, I couldn't think of 3 flagship just-Xbox games, most are PC/Xbox games (Microsoft does both, remember).

tbh I'm quite interested in getting a 360 so I would welcome a price drop with open arms. competition means better value for the customer.

It's worth every penny. Even after I get a Wii, it'll be my 360 connected to the TV 24:7.

Live. It's all about Live. Some games have features where you can sit and commentate other people playing, elsewhere in the world. And things like Mii have already been done on Xbox 360; people don't give Microsoft enough credit.

2nd, why the fall out with big N, and why are you on these forums?
Judging from the symptoms:

One of those gamers who is/was disgusted (a few months ago) by the lack of graphics performance on Wii, that think's it doesn't even surpass Xbox. thus compares a consoles worth head to head on paper specs alone.

He still cares about Nintendo, but it's one of those "negativist" Nintendo fan's that has to complain about everything, dispite the fact that hell still eventually get a Wii for what matters most, the games.

1st up, good on with the Macs.

2nd, why the fall out with big N, and why are you on these forums?

Proud owner of a iMac G5 2004, soon to be owner of a shiny new Mac Pro.

And I was already a user before my fall out. And the fall out is mainly because Nintendo has these bloody fantastic ideas, but then does one or two things that tarnish its potential.

It's like a brand new crisp white shirt. Nintendo have ironed it well, and are now folding it. But rather than taking the time to fold it, they just flip-flap it and it gets a few crinkles. It's still a nice white shirt, but it would have been better if they took that extra time to make it even nicer.

I still love Nintendo more than any of the other systems, I'm just worried they'll be in the shit when their system is released.

Why do you care? Why can't you just enjoy the games?

EDIT - Having trouble keeping up here. So what exactly are you saying. What is it you think Nintendo has done wrong, chances are i'm going to agree with you on something. But the price, i'm just not gonna shift on. Nintendo has never sold for a loss and its worked for them, so why would they make that business decision?

EDIT 2 - Ha i've got the exact same computer as you as well - wierd.

Proud owner of a iMac G5 2004, soon to be owner of a shiny new Mac Pro.
wait for intel kentsfield (double quad core on a macpro) by the end of 2006 (december), it's a drop in upgrade, should be available early on.

I wish I could afford one of those, I kinda need one for working.

And I was already a user before my fall out. And the fall out is mainly because Nintendo has these bloody fantastic ideas, but then does one or two things that tarnish its potential.

It's like a brand new crisp white shirt. Nintendo have ironed it well, and are now folding it. But rather than taking the time to fold it, they just flip-flap it and it gets a few crinkles. It's still a nice white shirt, but it would have been better if they took that extra time to make it even nicer.

that's just how Nintendo works, you have to love them for it, at least they are not blind to go by what the public wants, the public doesn't want what isn't invented yet, it didn't want Wind Waker cell shaded graphics, it hadn't imagined 3D worlds like Mario 64 and Zelda 64... it didn't want the wiimote or the DS with touchscreen.

Nintendo is the only company with the guts to go against the industry out there, even if they do mistakes, they still deserve all my respect for that.

You're still a Nintendo fan though, otherwise you'd simply not care.

that's just how Nintendo works, you have to love them for it, at least they are not blind to go by what the public wants, the public doesn't want what isn't invented yet, it didn't want Wind Waker cell shaded graphics, it didn't Want Mario 64, it didn't want Zelda 64... it didn't want the wiimote or the DS with touchscreen.

Nintendo is the only company with the guts to go against the industry out there, even if they do mistakes, they still deserve all my respect for that.

You're still a Nintendo fan though, otherwise you'd simply not care.

Well said Pedro. Right can we leave it there for the night boys, I gotta game in the morning. Night.

Judging from the symptoms:

One of those gamers who is/was disgusted (a few months ago) by the lack of graphics performance on Wii, that think's it doesn't even surpass Xbox. thus compares a consoles worth head to head on paper specs alone.

He still cares about Nintendo, but it's one of those "negativist" Nintendo fan's that has to complain about everything, dispite the fact that hell still eventually get a Wii for what matters most, the games.

Maybe he realises that the Wii line up is mainly ports and games that were perfectly achievable last gen, with a bit of motion sensitivity tacked on?

It's not as simple as 2 camps, people who love the Wii and people who are obsessed with graphics. It never will be.

Maybe he realises that the Wii line up is mainly ports and games that were perfectly achievable last gen, with a bit of motion sensitivity tack on?

It's not as simple as 2 camps, people who love the Wii and people who are obsessed with graphics. It never will be.

A bit of motion sensitivity tacked on?

But then, you could argue that most 360 titles are just graphical upgrades.

A bit of motion sensitivity tacked on?

But then, you could argue that most 360 titles are just graphical upgrades.

They certainly are. But they aren't horribly awkward to play, which a lot of the Wii games look like imo :nono:

But I suppose no complaints about the Wii can have any realy foundation until you can play it. It just looks like Nintendo is heading the wrong way to me.

Following this logic, PS3 is both.

:D

Following this logic, PS3 is both.

Heh, good call.

They certainly are. But they aren't horribly awkward to play, which a lot of the Wii games look like imo :nono:

But I suppose no complaints about the Wii can have any realy foundation until you can play it. It just looks like Nintendo is heading the wrong way to me.

Like you said, we won't know 'til we actually get our hands on the damn thing.

But, yes, Nintendo are taking a risk here. Sometimes, risks pay off, and sometimes they don't. The DS was a risk, and the sales have pretty much proved that risks, if successful, can be very rewarding.

Why do you care? Why can't you just enjoy the games?

Having trouble keeping up here. So what exactly are you saying. What is it you think Nintendo has done wrong, chances are i'm going to agree with you on something. But the price, i'm just not gonna shift on. Nintendo has never sold for a loss and its worked for them, so why would they make that business decision?

For the first question, I would love to just care for the games, but if the system fails, so does retail support and so does the ability to release games. The reason why there is a lack of support for GC is because it wasn't popular, and was boycotted by retailers. Third parties then decided it wouldn't be profitable releasing games for it, and so it died.

With the second part, here are my issues:

1) The price is at least £30 too high. The system isn't worth enough to merit an upper-range price. It should have been €229/£150.

2) No DVD player. Fine, I understand it doesn't NEED one, but if it really wants to be this lounge centre-piece Nintendo seems to have dubbed it, it needs one. And one of the reasons why GameCube failed is because it lacked a DVD player, surely they'd learn from previous mistakes, right?

3) The system is only a little bit better than the GameCube, graphically. I know it's a shallow complaint, but it's still valid. For the price it costs to buy it, it should be closer to Xbox 360 than the original Xbox. But then Nintendo doesn't like to lose money first (albeit Microsoft will break even this year sometime).

4) Lack of non-Wiimote functionality. I am nearly 100% certain the Wii audience will crave for traditional controls from time to time, and Nintendo has yet to assure us they have it covered, come that time.

5) No hard-disk. It's pretty much standard, I think, in today's gaming age. Whilst it does have come compacity, only enough for game saves and one or two downloads. External drives are a no-no, so it's SD cards only. And they cost a lot.

6) Not much of a killer launch line-up. GameCube's kicked global ass, this one's not. Zelda is pretty much the only killer app, possibly Red Steel for second.

I know I sound like a whiner, but I'm just worried, because I don't want Nintendo to fail. GC looked extremely promising in 2002, but it flopped. Just like the N64. Third time lucky? I hope so.

Like you said, we won't know 'til we actually get our hands on the damn thing.

But, yes, Nintendo are taking a risk here. Sometimes, risks pay off, and sometimes they don't. The DS was a risk, and the sales have pretty much proved that risks, if successful, can be very rewarding.

Two very good points. Its hard to see what's going to happen here. We haven't seen this much risk taking before in this business. And the difference with the DS is that it was in a market Nintendo that Nintendo already owned. This time Ninty ain't got that momentum on their side, they're starting on the back foot. I guess I forgot that the Wii still could be a complete failure.

Okay I really gotta go to bed now.

EDIT - crap Dilly, right:

1)I think we can only judge the Wii's true value by playing it

2)Well you can't have it two ways. You want the DVD player yet you want it to be cheaper too? Pick one or the other

3)Same as 2

4)Agreed, will become 2nd console

5)Agreed, though price issue again

6)We haven't heard enough about most of these games. Call of Duty, Far Cry, Excitetruck, Trauma centre, Rayman etc, they could turn out to be great games. And Zelda, Mario, Metroid all by next christmas. That's just plain awesome.