NEurope
NintendoDS

This is Real - Wii Price & Date - Nov 19th US & $250 USD

The more I think about it the more it seems more likely that Nintendo might release the Wii earier in America and Europe. I mean at whatever time they release it in Japan it seems a pretty much foregone conclusion it will be a great success, especially with Sony's measly 100,000 PS3's. However, America and Europe are pretty much Sonyland. Surely it would make sense to concentrate slightly more and be kinder to the regions where they are less popular, rather then concentrating on the region in which they are kings, especially with the PS3 delay it would be foolish not to take advantage and make a great controversial splash by going against the norm. I'm still not going to get all worked up and excited about it though, not unless I hear the words 'Europe' and 'November' directly from the top.

Oh fuck that. That was the worst possible setup they had and they've done it. Go Nintendo :angry: They aren't showing any ambition here. Go head to head with competition, price aggressively, make the mass buy your product.

I hope NOE don't think they can top this.

W00T! Predicted the correct price, anyone else thought it'd be $250 US?

What did people expect, i'm seeing it everywhere, lots of people complaining that the console price is a rip off, too high and that now they'll refrain from purchasing [not so much here, mainly in other gaming forums]. Nintendo like Sony and Microsoft are a corporation, they are there to make money, they committed to a price point of up to $250.00 US so of course it would be most likely as it has turned out Nintendo would want to maximise their profits and charge the highest possible price at which they have done. Not including an additional Wii Mote is bad in the sense that Wii sports is a multiplayer game and that it doesn't demonstrate the philosophy of the Wii to its fullest extent, but hey, they are in the market place to MAKE MONEY, thats their primary goal PROFIT MAXIMISATION. After all, they need to recoup the losses of investing into the motion sensing & tilt techonology as implementing this technology must've been pretty damn expensive and they'll do this through selling WiiMotes separately.

Profit maximation doesn't mean putting the price up. If Nintendo sells more units at a lower price, then that doesn't mean they get less profit and it will only ensure them more profit in the long run. Pricing it at $250 for only the console shows no ambition to reach new markets and destroy the PS3 launch but only 'let's play it safe on the short term'. Don't get me wrong, I'm pretty happy that we now know all this, but Nintendo's lack of guts in competitivity angers me sometimes.

Why should I care about Nintendo's profits anyway? For any consumer, this is far from great.

It would be brilliant if the Wii could come out in Europe before December, I imagine it would be harder to buy if it came out close to Christmas because of parent's buying it for their kids.

I cant see it coming out before Nov 19th here though :( I hope I'm wrong.

can i just ask, havent read it all, but why is this taken as official? it is a news paper article. could be wrong! have nintendo confirmed it to be true?

Japan information = official

US information = speculation <-- Hasn't been officially verified by a Nintendo representative.

Wait till the OFFICIAL CONFIRMATION from the US conference.

If it launches in Europe in November I might have to import.

....from where? Since supposedly it's launching first in the USA in November....where are you planning to import from before that?

tbh if it is launched in europe in december i'm nt that fussed as it is only another month of waiting and after waiting 2 years i think i'll be able to hold on for an extra 4 weeks

Doesnt the US presentation start at 2pm, GMT?

I think so... but every one seems to have different times so im not sure!?!?

Profit maximation doesn't mean putting the price up. If Nintendo sells more units at a lower price, then that doesn't mean they get less profit and it will only ensure them more profit in the long run. Pricing it at $250 for only the console shows no ambition to reach new markets and destroy the PS3 launch but only 'let's play it safe on the short term'. Don't get me wrong, I'm pretty happy that we now know all this, but Nintendo's lack of guts in competitivity angers me sometimes.

Why should I care about Nintendo's profits anyway? For any consumer, this is far from great.

You know all those sensors and chips cost money, right?

Any launch after the end of November would be good, my first 2 pay packets have to go on clearing my student debt (overdraft) :( so end of Nov would allow me to get one on launch day :yay:

Anyone else a bit annoyed that its going to be £20 over here for a Wiimote + another £10 for the nunchaku? Was kind of hoping they'd be bundeled together for £20

Japan information = official

US information = speculation <-- Hasn't been officially verified by a Nintendo representative. Wait till the OFFICIAL CONFIRMATION from the US conference.

The New York Times today revealed the USA info (that's one of the most respected papers in America). But it's not 100% confirmed, as you said. Although it's most likely going to be correct info.

Coming home after a really bad first day of work at a new job :sad: ...

This news is pleasing and has ended a bad day on a positive note...