NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Drunken_Squirrel

8bit, 16bit, 32bit, 64bit, 128bit, ?bit

I don't follow the industry as much as i did a few years ago, and things seem to have changed a bit from what i did. I'm looking at the specs for the next gen consoles and i can't see anything that is similar to what used to be the common way of determining a systems power.

Has it stopped moving up in stages, has the hardware drastically changed to make that type way of distinguishing impossible, or am I just not looking hard enough? What will this generation be known as?

in fact, the xbox 360 is the only games consol who *really* has a 64-bit cpu. it's kinda a lil' bit messy out there... btw the gamecube was a *real* 32-bit cpu (gekko). but it's hard to find the other specs (i mean the real specs, not the pushed up ones from the manufacturers)

The number of bits is and was a terrible way of measuring hardware performance. A 16-bit processor can actually be more powerfull than a 128-bit. It depends on the whole design.

You have to see the overall spec and design to compare perfomance. But then again raw specs could be misleading to what is best in practice. When it comes to consoles the easiest and best comparison is of course to look at 5-10 of the best-looking games for each system and judge by yourself.

I don't think you can measure this generation in bits any longer, or the last generation for that matter. The systems are now being optimized to perform better using as little bits as possible...., well all except Sony.:nono: :horse:

Sign in to follow this