NEurope
The fish

Religion

People should do charity work, but not so they gain from it.

That is why it's called "charity" work...

It's so, so evil.

Even if the charity worker was atheist, they'd still put across a certain amount of their own belief, intentionally or not. That's as much brainwashing as anything a Christian charity might do.

So, on you basis all Christians should stop doing charity work?
Don't put words in his mouth.

Religion is bad. It was probably a good way to control people back in the day (anyone played Civilisation?) but it seems to me that nothing good comes of it these days.

Don't get me wrong I still have my beliefs but there's so many scrotes out there doing horrible shit "in the name of God" that it makes you doubt whether there is a God.

Religion is bad.

That's a sweeping statement if I ever saw one. You mean all religions are bad? None benefit anyone?

That's a sweeping statement if I ever saw one. You mean all religions are bad? None benefit anyone?

Well, I guess we are all guilty of making such statements from time to time. I don't think any religion, or anything, for that matter can be described as "bad" people and ideas are to comlicated to be given such a simple label. Some religions were caused as a result of bad intentions, some as a result of good, either way, the evil they've caused (in my opinion) outweighs the good.

As an atheist, I say religions are good as moral guidance (well not all of them but the most common ones).

People are always gonna do bad things, no matter whose name they do them in. It's people that do bad things to other people to make them do bad things in turn. Religion is just the mask, it's the actual actions that should be addressed. Like the old 'no contraception' policy that some places have. Religious leaders know that God isn't real, they just have to organise all these people that are deluding themselves or haven't really thought about the issue. So they impose policies like no contraception to keep the rabble down.

The answer to your question, Laguna, is because Al Qaeda are a bunch of violent, irrational, bigoted zealots, who's existance is not worth dignifying by speaking of them.

You know, converting to another religion/leaving islam is like the worst sin you can do. :blank:

Haha, but your not muslim anymore so you don't believe it..

Some random thoughts in no particular order. No real conviction in what I say, but just light heartedly pondering, so don't take it personally please.

- 1 -

Religion is most commonly defined as a system of belief in god(s) and/or worshipping any such subject of worship. But I've actually come across a branch of buddhism that doesn't have a subject of worship. Instead of listing Do's & Don'ts, they are more into philosophy and perspective of life. A lot of buddhism seems to tend toward that direction too. Technically speaking some of those "religions" may not really be a religion as it is defined in the West. I think this is interesting because we tend to bag all of them into the same bag and think they are about believing in a specific form of God. Not so.

- 2 -

Want to be successful in life? Get wealthy? Become happy? So you're going to university to study hard? Don't bother! There is a much quicker and easier way: believe in god and die. Heaven is where all the good is, with infinite supply of happiness. So, what are we waiting for!? :yay:

- 3 -

Sometimes I think all big religions are a part of the same entity. Sometimes I think they're all right, only that they are covering different parts of the system of life. And also each developed its own unique take on the rest of the system, thereby causing conflict. But it may so transpire that they are describing the identical system, at least partially.

- 4 -

Apparently, scientific mind is meant to conclude that when we die our cells die so we just perish into basic elements. So no after life, no reincarnation etc. But the other day I thought, in science everything is conserved. Energy, momentum, ecosystem, etc. Everything is in a periodic cycle of some sort, never "losing" anything, but marely transfering to the next to be conserved. So in fact, I reckon it would be more scientific to conclude that life is also conserved somehow (i.e. something of a reincarnation) and not "lost". This is assuming that science does not understand the crux of how 'life' can exist. I tend to think it's at least some form of energy that we haven't detected yet. May be in the future science might discover "Life Energy" and "Conservation of Life".

I'm atheist, but if any of the religions we have today were right I'd say it would probably be Budhism. Or if not that then Paganism.

You know, converting to another religion/leaving islam is like the worst sin you can do. :blank:

Haha, but your not muslim anymore so you don't believe it..

And do you know what the penalty for apostacy is? Death. Ever wondered why?

Damn, that religion makes me so angry that I actually scare myself.

I had to do a 2000 word ethics essay yesterday about whether or not there's a relationship between religion and morality. I feel it has significantly changed my general outlook to morals, in a positive way.

I'm so pleased I chose to do Philosophy & Ethics A Level.

Sounds like on of those not-real subjects to me.

Find out more about it, and you won't be so inclined to make such assumptions. Philosophy is a very respectable subject, and a hard one at that.

A Christian, a Jew and a Muslim walked in to a bar.......

No, seriously, I think all religions are a joke.

Some may have some basis in reality, but at the end of the day a belief in some higher power without any proof to back it up is just ridiculous.

It's rather ironic that 'The God Delusion' (criticism of beliefs in God) by Richard Dawkins is turning out to be possibly the no.1 best seller on Amazon for Christmas (celebration of the birth of christ)

I am going to get it too.

It's rather ironic that 'The God Delusion' (criticism of beliefs in God) by Richard Dawkins is turning out to be possibly the no.1 best seller on Amazon for Christmas (celebration of the birth of christ)

I am going to get it too.

It is ironic. I borrowed off a friend. It's pretty good and funny in places, but I feel it'll really be preaching to the converted, I doubt many evangelical Christians will be clamouring to buy it. Also it doesn't lay into the current onslaught of creationism enough for my liking.

Find out more about it, and you won't be so inclined to make such assumptions. Philosophy is a very respectable subject, and a hard one at that.

Well psychology was hard, but only because it was a "remember all this boring crap and you'll pass" bullshit. *Yawn*

I often find that aethisits are surprisingly adept, despite following no god, at being somewhat holier-then-thou.

I often find that aethisits are surprisingly adept, despite following no god, at being somewhat holier-then-thou.

Yeah, I got that too, but maybe thats because I'm like that myself.

Also it doesn't lay into the current onslaught of creationism enough for my liking.

Get The Blind Watchmaker, also by Richard Dawkins.

It's about how evalution(ffs I really can't spell today) is physically, biologically, and chemicly likely to happen.

The only thing I'm "religious" to is gaming. It's all there is. I don't believe in all these things, not unless you can proof to me there was an almighty person. It's too speculative.

Well psychology was hard, but only because it was a "remember all this boring crap and you'll pass" bullshit. *Yawn*

Don't disrespect it just because you don't like it.

Don't disrespect it just because you don't like it.

You know...There's a reason I didn't like it. It's a load of Bull.

About 15% was obvious pointless rubbish*

45% at least was remember numbers and stuff

20% was interesting (Stuff about evolution)

20% was random bullshit by that guy obsessed with sex

*Q3 blah blah blah explain blah blah blah and reasons why this model/theory is pants.

Blah blah blah biological theory blah blah shit themselves to get away from predators already eating them blah blah. Blah blah blah blah a weakness of the biological theory is that it doesnt take into account things from the cognitive theory. :horse: