NEurope
Kav

Major news for one of the next-gen consoles...?

Posted Sep 8th 2006 12:01AM by Robert Summa

Filed under: Nintendo Wii, Strategy, Competitive Gaming, Business

IBM has announced that their Broadway chip custom-designed for Nintendo's Wii console is not only already in Nintendo's hands but has been since July. "We have been shipping well within this quarter (July)," said Ron Martino, director of IBM Technology Collaboration Solutions. "In fact, we have shipped a significant volume in this quarter."

So what does this news mean to gamers who have been waiting patiently for a release date from Nintendo? Well, considering that Nintendo has had their hands on a large amount of the final Broadway chips since July, we can easily speculate that the Wii could feasibly be released within the next few weeks. Perhaps by the end of the month.

Nintendo has also confirmed their reception of IBM's chip: "The first chips are in our possession," said Genyo Takeda, Senior Managing Director/General Manager, Integrated Research & Development Division, Nintendo Co., Ltd. "Today's milestone marks the final stage of our drive to reach both core and nontraditional gamers with an inviting, inclusive and remarkable gaming experience."

When I asked Martino about the power behind the Broadway chip, all he could do was compare it to the Wii's predecessor, the GameCube. "Compared to the Gekko in the GameCube, it's 20 percent more power efficient. It also performs significantly better. The key point is that it is Power Architecture-based and custom-made and optimized for Nintendo," he said. "This is a critical milestone for us at IBM. We have been very pleased with the entire development project."

I pressed Martino to compare Broadway to the other consoles they've had an integral part in developing for and he wouldn't budge, only commenting on what Nintendo was able to offer. With this news and Nintendo confirming the shipment of "6 million systems to retailers around the world between its launch in the fourth quarter of 2006 and the end of its fiscal year on March 31, 2007," we fully expect Nintendo to make an official announcement next week during their event in New York City. And as previously mentioned, we expect a release date far sooner than what has been projected.

that's it.....

IBM has announced that their Broadway chip custom-designed for Nintendo's Wii console is not only already in Nintendo's hands but has been since July. "We have been shipping well within this quarter (July)," said Ron Martino, director of IBM Technology Collaboration Solutions. "In fact, we have shipped a significant volume in this quarter."

So what does this news mean to gamers who have been waiting patiently for a release date from Nintendo? Well, considering that Nintendo has had their hands on a large amount of the final Broadway chips since July, we can easily speculate that the Wii could feasibly be released within the next few weeks. Perhaps by the end of the month.

Nintendo has also confirmed their reception of IBM's chip: "The first chips are in our possession," said Genyo Takeda, Senior Managing Director/General Manager, Integrated Research & Development Division, Nintendo Co., Ltd. "Today's milestone marks the final stage of our drive to reach both core and nontraditional gamers with an inviting, inclusive and remarkable gaming experience."

When I asked Martino about the power behind the Broadway chip, all he could do was compare it to the Wii's predecessor, the GameCube. "Compared to the Gekko in the GameCube, it's 20 percent more power efficient. It also performs significantly better. The key point is that it is Power Architecture-based and custom-made and optimized for Nintendo," he said. "This is a critical milestone for us at IBM. We have been very pleased with the entire development project."

I pressed Martino to compare Broadway to the other consoles they've had an integral part in developing for and he wouldn't budge, only commenting on what Nintendo was able to offer. With this news and Nintendo confirming the shipment of "6 million systems to retailers around the world between its launch in the fourth quarter of 2006 and the end of its fiscal year on March 31, 2007," we fully expect Nintendo to make an official announcement next week during their event in New York City. And as previously mentioned, we expect a release date far sooner than what has been projected.

http://www.joystiq.com

Stupid joystiq.....

Work in 3 hours time :cry::sad:

They're geniuses really. They knew Nintendo fans would fall for it and it's the best time to do it, none of them will be too pissed off cause all the nice stuff is coming next week.

I salute Kotaku and Joystiq for taking the piss out of loyalists.

Joystiq's reputation just took a major nose dive, now they are on the same level as Go Nintendo :hmm: .

I say we boycott those sites.
Yeah, they lied about Perry Kaplan naked. I want a refund. (not really)

Oh well... time to bed.

What's funny is that someone in this forum gave the news way before them.

Edit: Well, atleat 2 hours earlier.

lol well great thanks for that joystiq, and hey cheers for the company those that chatted on the chat room. :)

Well, considering that Nintendo has had their hands on a large amount of the final Broadway chips since July, we can easily speculate that the Wii could feasibly be released within the next few weeks. Perhaps by the end of the month.

Perhaps by the end of the month.

Perhaps by the end of the month.

THIS BEST BE TRUE!!! :D

________

Uggs

Edited by fex

THIS BEST BE TRUE!!! :D

M3G4T0N!!!!!!

nah. im not overly disappointed. i only heard about the joystiq thing 4 hours before it was revealed. it is really nice to hear that production is VERY well underway though. i severly doubt that it will be out by the end of the month, but at least there will be heaps of consoles available on launch, and more importantly, available for christmas:santa: .

I didn't get excited at all and i didn't stay up! YEAH!

See, i've learned by my mistakes.

Anyway. The news is actually great to hear, this means even though demand is still going to be VERY high Nintendo should have a significent amount of Wii's availible around the world! Which is nice to know. Supposadely they will have one of the highest numbers of consoles availible a launch has ever had?

It seems to me that Nintendo have planned this launch superbly, and made 100% sure they are ready to announce a date etc....all consoles are ready and that the launch line-up will be bulging with games. This is actually really good to know, and relaxes my worries, not much should go wrong (fingers crossed)

Lets hope the date surprises as ey? End-of October/ beginning of November PLEASE! NOT DECEMBER!

Will the date come in today? :wink:

I didn't get excited at all and i didn't stay up! YEAH!

See, i've learned by my mistakes.

Anyway. The news is actually great to hear, this means even though demand is still going to be VERY high Nintendo should have a significent amount of Wii's availible around the world! Which is nice to know. Supposadely they will have one of the highest numbers of consoles availible a launch has ever had?

It seems to me that Nintendo have planned this launch superbly, and made 100% sure they are ready to announce a date etc....all consoles are ready and that the launch line-up will be bulging with games. This is actually really good to know, and relaxes my worries, not much should go wrong (fingers crossed)

Lets hope the date surprises as ey? End-of October/ beginning of November PLEASE! NOT DECEMBER!

Will the date come in today? :wink:

I did exactly the same! No way I was staying up and getting my hopes up!

Still a lil bit gutted it was nothing else, but it sure is good news to hear that they've had their hands on the chips for a while!

Chin up guys, at least its good news.

Exactly, be happy. Surely you can wait 6 more days for the real Megaton Events.. I know I can.

This good news is a nice warm up to whats just around the corner. It confirms that Wii production is well on track and Nintendo have the capability to launch sooner than expected. No Sony style cock ups this time...:laughing:

So Earlier launch + Larger Shipments = Wii Christmas...:santa: