NEurope
solitanze

No DVD Playback On Wii?

true it will atract all those children/people who think it looks awesome to do that sliding function for a DVD player. also those children who have parents will think "its pretty cheap and its got a DVD player, that'll shut him up for a while. lets get one for him."

so yeah you're right in a way, it is a selling point

I may have heard this wrong way back when but wasnt it going to be an add on anyway?

yep . So they can add it on when ever they want.

I dont think they want people making comparisons like ..

DVD playback vs HDDVD Playback

DVD playback vs Blue Ray Playback

The wii looses. Hence it is better to just not compete.

If it is excluded, it is just a marketing decision. I am sure it will appear at a later stage when the wii is established as a games machine

I was counting on the Wii supporting DVD playback because I have a crappy Sony DVD player/VCR and I have to play a cassette for at least an hour or the DVD player won't work.

This is true, Sony DVD Players aren't worth a shit, at least a lot of models aren't. Sony products have an incredible probability of being faulty, more than any other "big name" brand that I know. I sincerely do not know how their name got big in the first place...

But Konfucius, you can buy a player from any other brand very cheap nowadays, cheaper than a game. With Dolby Digital and DTS decoders, component video, the whole shebang. And they'll even read a cheese sandwitch if you put that in them.

my wii will sit on top of a dvd player and right next to my cube the only problem is that my other dvd player is starting to get old we have 2 apple laptops and in a few weeks 3 but we still will need a dvd player that can esily hook up to the tv so i guess my upstairs dvd player (the one thats breaking) ( the one under the cube is down stairs) so i guess we will get a mac mini like my dad wanted.

yep . So they can add it on when ever they want.

I dont think they want people making comparisons like ..

DVD playback vs HDDVD Playback

DVD playback vs Blue Ray Playback

The wii looses. Hence it is better to just not compete.

If it is excluded, it is just a marketing decision. I am sure it will appear at a later stage when the wii is established as a games machine

this is a very good point.

besides, itll keep the cost down by not including the dvd playback.

this doesnt phase me, as i have a very nice pioneer dvd player that is good for PAL/NTSC/DIVX.... the works.

Like most people i don't mind it not having it but it wouldn't be a bad thing for it to be included.

I heard it was able ages ago but haven't heard a thing of late.

Not bothered at all.

Still, i feel sorry for the people who wanted it.

I use my pc as a dvd-player. My pc is connected to my (hd :) ) tv with a VGA cable. The quality's better than HDMI, since it uses the full resolution of the TV (1360 x 768) instead of the resolution most HD ready applications use (1280 x 720).

But Konfucius, you can buy a player from any other brand very cheap nowadays, cheaper than a game. With Dolby Digital and DTS decoders, component video, the whole shebang. And they'll even read a cheese sandwitch if you put that in them.

I know but the problem is I have my GC, that DVD/VCR player combo and a S-VCR plugged in so there's no slot left and my dad regularly records on both VCRs because he archives lots of things on S-Video and never watches it again and also at least records one show every two days on the other VCR and I don't want to switch cables all the time...

Besides that it's a matter of space as well :hmm:

I know but the problem is I have my GC, that DVD/VCR player combo and a S-VCR plugged in so there's no slot left and my dad regularly records on both VCRs because he archives lots of things on S-Video and never watches it again and also at least records one show every two days on the other VCR and I don't want to switch cables all the time...

Besides that it's a matter of space as well :hmm:

The slot problem can easily be fixed by a scart splitter. I also have one, works really good and they're pretty cheap. As to the space problem, well, buy a bigger house ;)

besides, itll keep the cost down by not including the dvd playback.

You were going to have to buy an attachment, so the Wii itself would be the same price.

I'm not going to believe this until its confirmed, its a massive selling point for non-tech familys, or children who don't have DVD players in their rooms already.

Hmm, damn. It would be usefull to have in my room. I don't have a DVD player in my room. Also, it would be nice to have a "portable" DVD player when i go to my grandma's house with the console.

As far as I'm considered, this is complete and utter b******t. The games will be on DVD-discs, so even if Nintendo won't make a DVD-player adon, someone will surelly make a small program that does play movies!

This is horrible, now my Wii will have a longer life span and ill have to play games on it.

Damn you Nintendo

Maybe they've just shut up about it because you need an add-on, and marketing the DVD possibility as part of the Wii is misleading.

As far as I'm considered, this is complete and utter b******t. The games will be on DVD-discs, so even if Nintendo won't make a DVD-player adon, someone will surelly make a small program that does play movies!

As has been mentioned before, though the Wii discs are DVD sized, they are not DVD format.

you have a good point, didn't they confirm games are on DVD-discs...? and that the DVD playback is thru a dongle that'll slot inside the machine and make use of the main CD drive? i'd like that to happen, and with the DS getting Opera and MP3 add-ons i can't see nintendo shunning DVD movie playback altogether. i have a very good Goodmans DVD player in my room, but it'll get moved to the living room if Wii has DVD playback :) (live in shared accomodation, no player in living room at mo)

quick edit: my word!! 800th post! doesn't this forum just suck you in...?!

As has been mentioned before, though the Wii discs are DVD sized, they are not DVD format.

QFT.

Yenrug knows how it is! :)

Confirmed:

http://uk.wii.ign.com/articles/732/732730p1.html

Wii DVD-movie Playback Out

NOA confirms that Wii will not play Hollywood DVD movies.

by Matt Casamassina

September 14, 2006 - Nintendo of America's vice president of marketing and corporate affairs, Perrin Kaplan, confirmed to IGN Wii today that its forthcoming Wii console will not play Hollywood DVD movies. The decision to remove the functionality was made in order to deliver the machine at a cheaper cost and because most people today already own DVD players.

More as it develops.