NEurope
Dante

Arctic Monkeys win Mercury prize

The Arctic Monkeys have won this year's Mercury Prize for their album Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not.

The Sheffield-based band, whose album became the fastest-selling debut in the UK in February, were run-away favourites to take the award.

Accepting the award, lead singer, Alex Turner, said their success was down to "good tunes" and "no tricks."

They were up against nominees including Muse, Editors, Thom Yorke, Richard Hawley, The Guillemots and Hot Chip.

The other contenders for the £20,000 prize were Lou Rhodes, jazz pianist Zoe Rahman, Isobel Campbell and Mark Lanegan, rapper Sway and Scritti Politti - who last experienced major success in the mid-1980s.

More than 200 albums were considered for the 2006 prize, which is awarded for the best album of the year by a British or Irish act.

Arctic Monkeys said they were "surprised, honoured but very pleased" to win the award.

Speaking after Jools Holland revealed the winner, Turner said: "Someone call 999 - Richard Hawley has been robbed.

He added: "Normally [this award] does not go to a band who have sold as many records as we have."

The win caps a remarkable 12 months for the Arctic Monkeys, nearly a year since their single, I Bet You Look Good On The Dancefloor, reached number one in the UK.

Their album became the fastest-selling debut in chart history, shifting more than 360,000 copies in its first week.

BBC

Welldone to Arctic Monkeys. :D

Hot Chip, Muse and Thom Yorke piss on that album from lofty, dizzying heights.

Agreed on Muse and York's album, who are Hot Chip?

Hot Chip are an electro outfit. You might have heard their singles Over and over, And I was The Boy From School and Colours.

They're fekkin pimp

Yeh the new Muse one is brilliant. Grew on me listen after listen. Still not sure if its as good as Origins Of Symmetry but its not too far behind for me.

For me, though, Keane's new album should have won it.

yay-least a good band wins :D

editors and thom yorke didnt win :D

even though the editors and guillemots are from round here and i love them both the monkeys or muse had to get it.

You're a Feeder fan, so you've already got a "plus 1" in my book. ;)

I haven't heard much off this new Keane album. One band which scored well in my book were The Raconteurs, with their album. Its a bit short, but its very, very sweet. Hands is definitely one of the best tunes i've heard all year, and there's some other great ones there to be listened to. :)

every band up for it are pure shite, i seen the artic monkeys and editors live, the 2 worst bands i have ever seen.

Artic monkeys are over hyped, untalented and well just pure shite, why cant anyone else see this.

You're a Feeder fan, so you've already got a "plus 1" in my book. ;)

I haven't heard much off this new Keane album. One band which scored well in my book were The Raconteurs, with their album. Its a bit short, but its very, very sweet. Hands is definitely one of the best tunes i've heard all year, and there's some other great ones there to be listened to. :)

:D By far my favourite band. You have good taste my man :smile:

Its a decent album. By far one of my favourite albums I have and it got me more into them than the first one did. Its worth a buy.

I have to say I haven't heard the Raconteurs album. Steady as she goes put me off a bit. Is the rest of the album like that?

every band up for it are pure shite, i seen the artic monkeys and editors live, the 2 worst bands i have ever seen.

Artic monkeys are over hyped, untalented and well just pure shite, why cant anyone else see this.

Myspace hype...thats all it was. (Artic Monkeys)

i dont know why but i find Feeder one of the most annoying bands around, also on the list is snow patrol, embrace and lamar.

I have to say I haven't heard the Raconteurs album. Steady as she goes put me off a bit. Is the rest of the album like that?

Hmm, tough question to answer. From my point of view, i wouldn't say so. If you can pick it up on the cheap (i got it from HMV for 6.99), then go for it.

i dont know why but i find Feeder one of the most annoying bands around, also on the list is snow patrol, embrace and lamar.

Nooooo. :(

This band kinda bored me, indie has exploded lately and I'm sick of all the new acts. My playlist has been stuck on almost the same number of tracks for a year because every new band sounds the same as the last. Arctic Monkeys just sound like a rougher version of the Libertines - and while I loved the 'tines - you can't turn on the radio these days without hearing the next clone.

Arctic Monkeys spread by hype, people bought the album because they thought they possibly might have heard their friend mentioning that they might be maybe the next big thing.

Come to think of it, indie music has well and truly become trendy music. And not a single popular indie band is actually independent. They need to just rename the genre "trendy".

Arctic Monkeys just sound like a rougher version of the Libertines - and while I loved the 'tines - you can't turn on the radio these days without hearing the next clone.

I completely agree with this.

When i heard "when the sun goes down" (or whatever that song is properly called), the intro to it sounded a lot like what became of the likely lads.

I think it was the NME awards where they went up onto the stage and tried 'being funny', but didn't really pull it off. If they had the attitude, i could forgive them, but i don't think they have that either! All i was left thinking was "hello, can somebody please give this guy some emotion. Or better still, a personality."

It was inevitable for Arctic Monkeys to win, they have done more in that short time than most bands have done in their entire careers.

I did also want Editors to win, as well as the Guillemots (The lead singer = a brummie. :grin: ) and Thom Yorke, The Eraser is a brilliant album. Harrowdown Hill is a fantastic song.

Im a massive fan of the Libertines and if more bands sound like them then to be honest its better for me cos that = more bands i will like :)

Im glad the monkeys one it. A band who deserved the prize actually won it for once. Unlike last year when Bloc Party were robbed by that weirdo anthony and his bloody johnsons.