NEurope
jayseven

Universitay!

Why does no one ever create student accomadation, with both en-suite and a partial kitchen. I like my private life seperated from my work. AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

You mean a studio room, which quite a few uni's have?

I went out with some mates from college on Thursday night, the plan was to go for a meal after college finished at 5, then go for a few drinks and then on to a club. Well we had a few lectures free in the end, so we finished at 2.. So we went straight to the pub for a few hours, then went for food, then back to another pub for a while, then on to a club for the rest of the night. I somehow ended up doing karaoke, which was hilarious! I spent way way waaaaaaaaaaaay too much money though, so I've actually got €1 in my wallet that has to last me all week.. :D The books will have to wait!

The books will have to wait!

Luckily, my astrophysics tutor has only told us to get one book - which is actually a free pdf.

Hahahaha take it from somebody who has done a computer science degree Books are the most pointless things for the subject, because with the speed technology moves the books are quickly out of date and a simple 5 minute google search will yield far better results then any book.

yes i know this but they said they would ask questions based on parts in any of the recommened books in essays

You mean a studio room, which quite a few uni's have?

hull doesn't have any just en-suite

:shakehead :shakehead :shakehead

Luckily, my astrophysics tutor has only told us to get one book - which is actually a free pdf.

Damn you're lucky, I've got to get 3 books. I was able to get one of them second hand but the other 2 are new editions so I have to get them new, so looks like I've got another 100 or so euro to spend.

Don't buy books!

i was forced to buy a 28.99 Japanese text book yesterday-they already ordered it for the 6 of us so i couldnt refuse-its a very pretty book-just gotta try and learn all of hiragana in 2 weeks time for my first assessment EEEEK!!!

i was forced to buy a 28.99 Japanese text book yesterday-they already ordered it for the 6 of us so i couldnt refuse-its a very pretty book-just gotta try and learn all of hiragana in 2 weeks time for my first assessment EEEEK!!!

lol, i've got the same to do - i ordered a hiragana japanese book for my course, so i need to get it mastered and soonish.

I'm heading back up to uni on Saturday, moving into my new house. I can't wait, it's been a very long and boring summer! :)

It's intereting to see so many people doing Japanese. Looking at my timetable (which is very confusing), it seems as though my GIS module may clash, so I might replace it with beginners Japanese.

I haven't bought any books!

If you're feeling left out i'll sell you my old ones that I didnt use?

I bought a book for one module cause it was £5. One for another module is £50. Bitch please.

Thats nothing we have been told we must read at least half the books for each module. One of the modules next year(if I make it) will be based on more microsofts programming tools half the books for it are around £300 that includes the compulsory one and the rest are the cheapest i've seen carn't see them available as second hand and anyways they'll probably change the books I will need and for commercial games development the books costs are over a grand!!!

Bloodycomputer science with development degree

Thats nothing we have been told we must read at least half the books for each module. One of the modules next year(if I make it) will be based on more microsofts programming tools half the books for it are around £300 that includes the compulsory one and the rest are the cheapest i've seen carn't see them available as second hand and anyways they'll probably change the books I will need and for commercial games development the books costs are over a grand!!!

Bloodycomputer science with development degree

Do you realse that was just three sentences? A lack of grammar is a sign of anger.

On books:

Whatever university course you're on, there will not be one book that teaches you everything you need to know to pass. There won't even be one book for each module. Now, obviously, you don't go out and buy everything on your reading list because it'll cost you a fortune. Universities have libraries. Use them. If you find yourself using a particular book all the time, then by all means go and buy it, but don't waste your money on books before you've even started your course. I bought one last year, a physical geography textbook we were all told to buy, and I found it to be mostly useless. It sat gathering dust on a shelf all year.

Do you realse that was just three sentences? A lack of grammar is a sign of anger.

You better believe i'm bloody angry. And teamwork..

What the fuck inwant to be a renowned computer scienctist, I want to be congratulated on my achievements not a team.

I am a god amongst programmers

Theres me and only me.....

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

On books:

Whatever university course you're on, there will not be one book that teaches you everything you need to know to pass. There won't even be one book for each module. Now, obviously, you don't go out and buy everything on your reading list because it'll cost you a fortune. Universities have libraries. Use them. If you find yourself using a particular book all the time, then by all means go and buy it, but don't waste your money on books before you've even started your course. I bought one last year, a physical geography textbook we were all told to buy, and I found it to be mostly useless. It sat gathering dust on a shelf all year.

the problem is hear at hull you get taught everything its just reading around the subject thats the killer mate because some books we have been told to buy they showed a swanky graphic showing the average amount of books per module, showing who got which grades you would get per the amount of books you read.

P.S I found it quite stupid that the lectures actually said its not our job to help you learn, nor teach you. Its the amount of information we throw at you and how much info you take in from that

Has anyone else been landed accomodation that looks like a Travel Inn?

kinda smells like on too

I hate the Student Loans Company. Firstly my loan which should have arrived Monday hasn't, secondly I forgot my online passwords, so I couldn't check online. Then I wasted 5 minutes on the phone for a 30 second conversation for the guy to say "You should receive it tomorrow".. Bah.

As for books, I would appreciate it if people could post up links to sites where us students could purchase books for cheaper. After I was told I need a Java book that costs about £49.. Shocking.

havent read any of the thread, just wanted to say that i think that university (with small exceptions) is a waste of time & money. it is an excuse to get pissed. 80% of graduates never use their degree's. to me that is a waste and pointless.

havent read any of the thread, just wanted to say that i think that university (with small exceptions) is a waste of time & money. it is an excuse to get pissed. 80% of graduates never use their degree's. to me that is a waste and pointless.

to you . . .

i'm doing biology with japanese-2 amazingly usefull things to have and prob one of, if not the, hardest combination of subjects-i dont know another degree course that requires as many hours least not at University of Manchester.

plus i get to go to Japan for a year, working there, which will provide me with contacts in japanese bio companies which after i graduate and pay off my debt i'll probably move there or work there everynow and then. and japan spend a significant amount of their money on biology in particular stem cell research and genetics-which really interests me right now.

i should really go to that anti removing the cap off tuition fee rally protest thing outside the labour conference place later but i'm off with the flatmates for a chinese.

uni is good :D but hard :(

i did say small exception

wait............................................

(with small exceptions)

there it is. :shock:

but can you give me another 80% of the students there that actually have an idea of why they are doing what they are doing and have a long term plan? i think you would find it difficult.

EDIT: just read it back and i didn't mean for it to sound so bitchy meow.... and good on you for knowing what you want to do with your life.

i did say small exception

wait............................................

there it is. :shock:

but can you give me another 80% of the students there that actually have an idea of why they are doing what they are doing and have a long term plan? i think you would find it difficult.

EDIT: just read it back and i didn't mean for it to sound so bitchy meow.... and good on you for knowing what you want to do with your life.

its true what you said-i know of a few people who have no reason for doing their uni degrees or are here just to please their families. i dont wanna judge them but i cant help thinking that if they did it just to please parents then they are a little pathetic.

Its just some degrees of a waste of time because people want an easy degree - examples: sociology, History, Art, Philosophy, and a few others.

I myself am doing computer science with games development - I for one think its a duty not to be partying and drinking excessively but to get your head down have a bit of R+R by watching the tv or whatever and get it done quickly.

And also I thin universities should consider redesigning all of there university accomadation to studio style.