NEurope
Dante

Far Cry Vengence Wii

Well that's the thing, that problem seems to come up in a lot of Wii screens. The games look "blurry" for some reason, like it's just a bad screenshot...but I don't get why it would keep happening all the time.

Sorry for some reason I missed the other topic, we can lock this one I think. It does seem these are "real" screens though and the early shots in the other topic arent.

EDIT: Okay nevermind they're joined now.

http://uk.wii.ign.com/articles/733/733951p1.html

Here's an interview about the game too. They specifically mention that the Wii is overall more powerful than the Xbox, but the Xbox can do things the Wii cant. I guess the visual quality difference is because of the things the Xbox can do that the Wii cant.

You just don't give up...
IGN Wii: The Wii has been described as more powerful than the original Xbox, but not as powerful as Xbox 360. What type of visuals can we expect from the Wii version of Far Cry?

Fabrice Cuny: Overall the Wii is more powerful than an Xbox, even if the Xbox can do some stuff that the Wii can't. But remember the Wii is more focused on its unique gameplay using the Wii controller and not on power. We can expect a game as beautiful as what we used to see on Xbox.

First, Gamecube is no DirectX console, thus, it isn't DirectX 7/8/9 compliant when compared to Xbox's Geforce card... This also insues the following... GC has a diferent shading system. Meaning it's not compliant with Shader Model X.x too.

There is DirectX 8 DevTools for GC though, made by codewarrior, but it's slower (obviously) and you're limited to DirectX 8, while in Xbox, being a DirectX 8+ hybrid chip it already did some DirectX 9 and it certainly had support in it's DevTools for these, making the ports painless.

Mind you... Ubisoft uses DirectX heavily on Far Cry instints on Xbox who is based upon CryEngine, and UE2,5 with games like Splinter Cell... These were built from ground to take advantage of a DirectX system, (not OpenGL) how will they look better in a almost direct Port to a non-compliant hardware?

There you have it. Like I said 10 times before... Wii (and GC) before it... owe Xbox nothing, if you do things from ground for them (and Ubisoft doesn't, not even Red Steel), this means... using the hardware to it's fullest... Shaders on the Graphics ISA.

When video cards with support for 2.0 pixel and vertex shaders were released, Crytek released version 1.2 of the engine which used some of the capabilities for better graphics.
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CryENGINE

Like said above... of course it doesn't support that, CryEngine is a DirectX and Shader Model intensive engine. It doesn't mean they don't do those... it means they don't run it that way, because they are not compliant with it.

GC was actually better with shaders (for those who learnt how to use them) than Xbox ever was, even when we consider that Xbox had separate shader units, while GC has a theoretically unified one (vertex and pixel shader), just look at Zelda TP latest build and Rogue Squadron II/III, GC was just better with fillrate...

So "GC can do stuff that Xbox can't" it's actually more accurate than the other way around, when the power just isn't there. Because on GC (wether ubi knows that or not) the power is there, you just have to do it the other way...

Ubisoft never maxed out the GC hardware, neither are they maxing with Wii, and of course direct porting DirectX engines and games will not suffice.

Maybe there's a flaw in the Wii devkit that fucks up the screenshots... We know it can for far better than this.

It looks like that something was lost in PSD conversion, as all of these are featured (or so I heard, I have so far only seen one of them) in art package that someone put accidentally on Ubisoft's public FTP. Those versions look way sharper.

It's quite clear that someone is going to get fired because of that package, because it had many games that Ubisoft hasn't even announced yet (Some examples: Far Cry 2, Prince of Persia 4, Splinter Cell: Conviction, Lost). Now Ubisoft can't sell them as exclusives for any gaming magazine / site as everything is already on the net.

Those new screenshots are awful man alive I want to see a video of this to restore a bit of faith. :weep:

Sierously though what is up with the graphics? Is the finished product going to be like this?

I'm sorry, but if Far Cry looks that bad with all those murky-as-pea-soup trees, then I'm not getting it.

We have all seen that the Wii is capable of better graphics than that.

It looks worse than Koei's Sengoku Wave game, which is quite a feat.

For Ubisoft's sake, I hope the final product is much better than this.

Ubisoft releasing 8 Wii games at launch?

So quick port rush and they're basically cashing in on the Wii.

Just seen a screen and came here to complain.

What a piece of shit.. so much better on the xbox and PC. no control scheme could save this.

Carry on.

What is wrong with the arms and hands? they look hideous.

QFT!

They look like the arms of an old man.

I was just looking at the new screens of other games on IGN Wii, and they look so much better than this lazy port. Pangya has very pretty trees (I do realise they are different games, but the difference in quality is clear).

I'm sorry to be so harsh, and I do realise the Far Cry team put work into the controls, but the graphics are so unbelievably shoddy!

Compare and contrast with Red Steel.

Just seen a screen and came here to complain.

What a piece of shit.. so much better on the xbox and PC. no control scheme could save this.

Carry on.

Do you realize that Xbox pictures are press release shots with things like supersampling or antialiasing 4x+ switched on? they don't run like that on the consoles, jeez.

far-cry-instincts-20040512092309948.jpg

Here's a actual screenshot of FarCry Instints running on XBOX... "OHHH SO MANY JAGGIES" Lets whine together.

For the record this is no better than the previous Far Cry Wii shot with all those jaggies, I won't say it's good this way, but... it's no worse.

Even so there is something about those Wii shots that make me feel naucious. It should just be better. Its not even going to be a proper far cry game like the PC version :weep:

Doesn't look too bad to me. But then this is coming from a guy who's idea of perfect graphics is Chrono Trigger and Street Fighter Alpha, so continue your bitching if you would.

well, don't expect graphics to be much better than the xbox - if even. the more i hear about the wii's graphical abilities the less impressed i get. you'd think twice the power of the Cube could produce much better graphics.

lets hope that these are early days and we'll see much better looking games in a few months.

i'm still very interested in far cry vengeance and expect the graphics to be polished up a bit when it finally comes out. from the interview they are still exploring a lot of possiblities and i won't be suprised if the game was pushed back to March in Europe.

looks like we're all still very concerned about the graphics though, could this be Wii's downfall in 2 or 3 years time when the graphics will look very dated.

well, don't expect graphics to be much better than the xbox - if even. the more i hear about the wii's graphical abilities the less impressed i get. you'd think twice the power of the Cube could produce much better graphics.

lets hope that these are early days and we'll see much better looking games in a few months.

i'm still very interested in far cry vengeance and expect the graphics to be polished up a bit when it finally comes out. from the interview they are still exploring a lot of possiblities and i won't be suprised if the game was pushed back to March in Europe.

looks like we're all still very concerned about the graphics though, could this be Wii's downfall in 2 or 3 years time when the graphics will look very dated.

I explained the reason above, first... most Xbox games run like these, they just appear "better" because the screenshots come through press releases.

Then this is a DirectX/Shader Model heavy engine, They are not even touching Wii's potential here, with ports.

If this game has new levels the draw distance is bound to be much better (if they want to), and if anyone has Far Cry Instints in home... the ammount of jaggies will look just as good.

I doubt it'll be a downfall, unless they get bad publicity from it, PS2 has been outdated for years, and Wii infact looks pretty awesome in some games. Bare in mind that only Retro and Nintendo really know how to use this hardware as of now, look at their results.

hang on what results? Corruption doesn't look that much better than the previous Prime games, and Zelda graphics is the same as the Cube's version.

hang on what results? Corruption doesn't look that much better than the previous Prime games, and Zelda graphics is the same as the Cube's version.
Corruption looks a lot better than Metroid Prime games on GC, sure the GC games already looked better, but samus has higher polycount, the lightning effects are pretty much everywhere and we're talking next gen lightning here, the scenarios are much bigger than before, the textures are much better and now there's some bump maps...

Yeah, big improvement.

as for Nintendo games, sure Zelda is a GC game, but Mario Galaxy is looking great too.

These are surely using the hardware more intricately than say... Red Steel. (and while we're at it... Far Cry Wii)

Has everybody ignored Teppo's beta screenshot up there? It looks far better, with detailed shading and some quality of textures and rendering, despite it being a beta.

The IGN shots seem to be ripped from a video to be honest.