NEurope
Dante

Far Cry Vengence Wii

Maybe this is a stupid question: Wii will probably look better in a 720p HDTV than in a 1080p HDTV, right? Because there's less upscaling work needed to display in a 720p TV.

It is ;)

The output signal is always the same! That's irrelevant.

mmm, you sure? In that case weren't the PAL HDTV's supposed to have like 1280x720? Then why do they have 1366x768 around here? Or are the NTSC ones equal?

Maybe this is a stupid question: Wii will probably look better in a 720p HDTV than in a 1080p HDTV, right? Because there's less upscaling work needed to display in a 720p TV.

The correct value for a european HDTV's keeping the original PAL SD ratio wouldn't be 1366x768 more like 1536x864. it doesn't exist though, lucky us.

That mode (1366x768) won't show advantages in 720p or under, it'll just upscale them as it should be it's native resolution, but in 1080i/p it'll be slightly better since it has 1/15 more resolution than 720p (both vertically and horizontally).

It also comes in handy to support the 768 vertical pixels number when there is lot's of computer monitors doing 1024x768.

768/9=85,333~

85,333~x16=1365,333~

that makes 1366x768 the 16:9 mode equivalent to 4:3's 1024x768... just like 853x480 is to 640x480.

A few months ago we still didn't had 1080p televisions for sale in europe, I believe. And 1080i compliant TV's are not worth it... actually there was a big issue as the "HDTV logo" on some Samsung TV's (that has a deal with Microsoft to sell HDTV's) had to be rebranded since they only supported 1080i @ 50 Hz when X360 runs at 1080i @ 60 Hz only and the norm for HDTV certification demands 1080i @ 60 Hz. Should be solved by now though.

As for upscaling quality, that depends on other stuff... most HDTV's (just like LCD's) have crap upscaling conversion algorithms which means, they just force the lower-res image into full screed filling the pixels instead of using lanzcos filter, bilinear filtering or others. Thus, yes for these kind of TV's native resolution is the best, downscaling is pretty harmless, and upscaling is just gross.

This translates into much cheaper upscaling chips, and could be easily solved. cheap upscaling chips mean that the lowest % you upscale and the closer the ratio the better, thus 720p will always look better.

All in all 853x480 is pretty good for upscaling as it's not even half HDTV (720p) resolution:

853/100=8,53=1%

8,53x150%=1279,5=1280

and...

480/100=4,8=1%

4,8x150%=720

you only have to scale it 50% :)

You see, my problem is that i want to buy a TV, and by this time i'm not goint to buy an SDTV. So i want an HDTV mostly to play Wii and i'm worried because of the upscalling problem. Some tell me that the gamecube looks gorgeous on HDTV and others tell me it looks crap.:hmm: Well, a 720p it is then, as it will provide better upscalling than a 1080p one, if i understood what you said right. An HDTV is not cheap at all, so i want to make sure i buy something good that lasts me. Thanks for the clarifications.

Wow, this has gone way off-topic.

You see, my problem is that i want to buy a TV, and by this time i'm not goint to buy an SDTV. So i want an HDTV mostly to play Wii and i'm worried because of the upscalling problem. Some tell me that the gamecube looks gorgeous on HDTV and others tell me it looks crap.:hmm: Well, a 720p it is then, as it will provide better upscalling than a 1080p one, if i understood what you said right. An HDTV is not cheap at all, so i want to make sure i buy something good that lasts me. Thanks for the clarifications.

Wow, this has gone way off-topic.

If you can... pay for a 1080p.

As 720p is also a middleterm, in 5 years time we'll be talking about 1080p TV's not some obsolete 720p ones.

As for the upscaling problem... it really depends on the chip, so there's people with HDTV's where upscaling is decent and looks good and people where upscaling is crap.

I can't help you there because I'm not that informed about the issue to talk about models/brands, but it's the same for 1080p HDTV's, if the upscaling chip is as crap as some 720p TV's it'll look much worser, if it's as good as some 720p TV's it'll look as good, simple as that.

Yeah, this has gone way offtopic, but it was a good effort from various users, this is worthy of being in the Wii tech discussion thread.

It looks like the graphics are much better than the picture shows. Like they've been cropped down in size using a crappy program or the anti aliasing was turned off. I think this looks pretty awesome though, and those probably aren't final screens anyway.

It looks like the graphics are much better than the picture shows. Like they've been cropped down in size using a crappy program or the anti aliasing was turned off. I think this looks pretty awesome though, and those probably aren't final screens anyway.
JPEG compression artifacts change colors and gives it a more jagged look instantly.

Other than that, they clearly weren't meant for press release, but I dunno if ubisoft will change that lack of AA question, when they release screens for the public they will look better though, without jaggies, just like most press releases.

We also have to see where this title is coming from; Far cry instints was supposed to come out on GC and PS2 before Microsoft buyed the exclusive... so they already had the engine running on GC before, it was really a drag and drop thing to the Wii Devkits, just like when we saw Red Steel for the first time... this title should be able to run almost completly on GC hardware, with added wiimote control, how much will it change towards release is unknown.

Perhaps it would be a good idea to just increase the draw distance (although we can't judge that from the screens shown) numer of enemies on-screen, animation frames and framerate, it's also a way to use Wii's "extra" power.

heres some new information from the vgm podcast.

- Renamed Far Cry: Vengeance

- Jump with nunchuck by lifting it

- Slash Wiimote to make a feral attack, nunchuck to hit enmies in the back, ect.

- Move Wiimote forward to zoom

- Slash across screen for knife attack

- Focusing both on graphics and gameplay, not straight port from Xbox versions.

- Unvealed on the 14th.

- Widescreen, 480p

- “Stable 30 FPS, like all prior instincts games”

- Splitscreen multiplayer

- paraphrase: ‘We’ve heard some online information from Nintendo, but we can’t comment.’

- Proposing possibilities to Nintendo Wii24connect

- Single Player: 20+ hours

- “We’re testing online right now”

- “Is there a possiblity online play will show up in retail version?” (quick response) “Yep Yep.”

- Downloadable content is a possibility.

heres hoping the get online in before launch.

Hi guys, I'm new to the forum and im pretty impressed with the Wii's graphics so far. I own an Xbox 360 and no i'm not no gay little fan boy for Microsoft. I am looking to buy a Wii upon release and enjoy some intense Zelda Twilight Princess gaming!! And these graphics you are showing in this thread are you comparing the Wii to the Xbox 360 or the original xbox because ?? I think it's the original Xbox because it looks nothing like the 360 version.

About TVs read some reviews about upscaling because some games (specially PS2 games) look like crap on HDTVs.

Can't wait for the 14th ^^

I'm hyped now. I missed Far Cry Xbox so I really want this.

Online play would sell it for me, but I doubt that as its still launch window.

I'll probably make a choice between this one and Red Steel. I've never played Far Cry but it's impressive from what I've seen.

I can't wait for this either :D

I really hope they manage to get in online play. We need an online FPS at launch. Maybe that IGN thing saying they couldn't do online games yet was wrong?

I reckon either no online play but right at launch or online play and a few weeks after launch.

Damn, it's this or Red Steel now...

I need to see this game in action before I make my mind up.

strange how red steel gets all the exposure. I guess thats the joys of being an exclusive.

I really hope they manage to get in online play. We need an online FPS at launch. Maybe that IGN thing saying they couldn't do online games yet was wrong?

It's not wrong but there has been talk from a few developers now that they started some tests for online, Nintendo may have not yet actualy released offical kits yet.

i have not playied the last two farcry games on consoles so ill defintly get this one since i enjoyed the pc game.

Maybe, maybe not? Either way time is running out and Nintendo need to share this information. Its time to start empowering the developers by giving them all the necessary tools they need. :grin:

Maybe they will surprise us all with their plans for Online. I sure hope so.

http://uk.media.wii.ign.com/media/846/846381/img_3931987.html - Wii

As kind of expected, looks worse than the Xbox version.

Here's the Xbox version, "Far Cry: Instincts" for comparison:

http://uk.media.xbox.ign.com/media/621/621324/imgs_1.html

For fun here's a direct comparison between 2 screens, check out the difference in the water quality.

Wii:

farcryvengeance20060921083020096cc8.jpg

Xbox:

farcryinstincts20050912100911194wj1.jpg