NEurope
Dante

Far Cry Vengence Wii

Zelda is one of the most beautiful games I've ever seen...but I guess that's neither here nor there in regards to this thread....

Arrr....should I get it anyway...? I can't think of anywhere that rents Wii games.

For the record I appreciate fully that the Wii is "more powerful" than the Xbox. The only thing I wish to see is whether or not it's also capable of the same quantities of bump mapping and lighting as games like Chaos Theory, Double Agent, Doom 3, etc. That's all. All I want to see is if it can be done in game, because if it can't then it seems like it's going to be much harder for developers to make the extra power of Wii make much of a difference visually and hence why current Wii games aren't much of a step up from Gamecube.

From what I understand GC has different shaders. You surely noticed that water in all PC/X-Box games looks almost the same. That's because they use a shader model that offers them that shading option for water for instance.

But the GC does the shaders differently and therefore it's quite hard to determine if it could run those things with those shaders.

I think the shaders had to be re-programmed to get the same results but in the end it should be able to do it. After all graphics cards made a big advancement in the last few years and a new ATI card should be able to do what an old GeForce 2 did.

I'm not too tech informed either but I hope that helped.

For the record I appreciate fully that the Wii is "more powerful" than the Xbox. The only thing I wish to see is whether or not it's also capable of the same quantities of bump mapping and lighting as games like Chaos Theory, Double Agent, Doom 3, etc. That's all. All I want to see is if it can be done in game, because if it can't then it seems like it's going to be much harder for developers to make the extra power of Wii make much of a difference visually and hence why current Wii games aren't much of a step up from Gamecube.
GC has no problem with bump maps and lightning, it actually takes less hit applying more lights into a scene. problem was in the ammount of RAM the system had when it came to textures, considering bump map counts as another texture applied. said that GC efficiency-wise had a texture framebuffer, that Xbox lacked.

Bare in mind that Xbox did some bump mapping centric games, but they did sacrifice a load of polygons in doing so, take Halo 2 for example, it has less polygons than original Halo while running at 480p and 30 fps.

I seriously doubt Xbox had fillrate for Zelda TP lightning and particle effects, they're everywhere and the engine just seems to have no ceiling, the scene might be full of them, but in the next second it'll be doing twice that in the same environment just as easily.

The question should be if Wii can handle, at all; displacement maps and such like PS3 and Xbox360, only in 480p instead of higher resolutions, if it's feasible at all. That's the question for me at least.