NEurope
Emasher

A concern with saving

I have this this one concern about the storage of virual consle games and saved files. do you think the wii will ask us if we want to save these things with the incerted sd card or the built in memory because i have to share my wii with my sister (:mad: ) and i don't want her to have acess to my data and vc games.

also when i got my camera it came with a 16 mb sd card and seeing as 16 mb is like 250 some blockes on gc cards how many save files should i be able to get on this card (i got a 512mb card for my camera) also what about vc games could i fit a few snes games on here plus my tp save file what do you think. i know at one point i will need to buy a new card any way.

thanks

emasher.

You got a 16MB card (mega byte) with your camera. The cube's 251 block card is an 8Mb (mega bit) unit. It takes 8 bits to make a byte. Thus (in theory) a 16MB sd card could hold 4016 save files.

251 * 2 = 502 (to get to 16Mega bits from 8)

502 * 8 = 4016 (to get to mega bytes from bits)

You got a 16MB card (mega byte) with your camera. The cube's 251 block card is an 8Mb (mega bit) unit. It takes 8 bits to make a byte. Thus (in theory) a 16MB sd card could hold 4016 save files.

251 * 2 = 502 (to get to 16Mega bits from 8)

502 * 8 = 4016 (to get to mega bytes from bits)

Actually, the Memory Card 251 was 16Mb, or 2MB. Remember a Memory Card 59 was 4Mb, 1/2MB. The MC 251 is roughly four times that size.

An SD card of 16MB will be plenty for a while, even for NES and SNES games. When you move onto N64 games, it'll be time to start worrying about a new memory card.

Have you thought about getting an external hardrive. Mines 320GB, and only cost £120.

You could even partition it and use it for backing up data from your computer.

I have this this one concern about the storage of virual consle games and saved files. do you think the wii will ask us if we want to save these things with the incerted sd card or the built in memory because i have to share my wii with my sister (:mad: ) and i don't want her to have acess to my data and vc games.

also when i got my camera it came with a 16 mb sd card and seeing as 16 mb is like 250 some blockes on gc cards how many save files should i be able to get on this card (i got a 512mb card for my camera) also what about vc games could i fit a few snes games on here plus my tp save file what do you think. i know at one point i will need to buy a new card any way.

thanks

emasher.

Fair enough about not wanting her to access save-game data, we all know what can happens if siblings do, but not letting her play your VC games is just plain selfish. There's no harm in letting her play them, even if you have paid for them. They're there to be used.

We don't actually know, but I presume you will get the choice of where to save your games, it would be incredibly stupid if you didn't and it just filled up your internal memory and then went onto your SD card.

Again, we don't know how much space save-games will take up, I don't think it will be much, 16mb will be enough for all save files but you'll only be able to fit 1 N64 game on there max. Most N64 games are over that size. I think you can see how big they are on IGN. NES games are tiny, and you'll be able to fit loads of that card, SNES games are about a megabyte I think...

my dad already has 3 and will soon have four external hard drives for back ups and stuff. obviously you've never met my sister if she plays my games she gets my parents to force me to stay down in my basement and help her with them (its bad enoufe she has to play tp) and also for vc games the save files will most likely be on the same storage device as the game so she could still screw up my files.

this is the list of vc games i'm getting

a link to the past

kid icarus

super mario bros

super mario kart

mario kart 64

metroid

sonic

well not all right away i dont expect them to all fit like you said about one 64 game so i could wait to download it the only one i'm planing to get on wii lanch day is the first one

my dad already has 3 and will soon have four external hard drives for back ups and stuff. obviously you've never met my sister if she plays my games she gets my parents to force me to stay down in my basement and help her with them (its bad enoufe she has to play tp) and also for vc games the save files will most likely be on the same storage device as the game so she could still screw up my files.

this is the list of vc games i'm getting

a link to the past

kid icarus

super mario bros

super mario kart

mario kart 64

metroid

sonic

well not all right away i dont expect them to all fit like you said about one 64 game so i could wait to download it the only one i'm planing to get on wii lanch day is the first one

Link to the Past, good choice. I don't know what I'll get, but if they do GB/GBC games then I'll pick up all GB/GBC Zeldas and possibly Tetris DX.

EDIT: I'm sharing the Wii with my sister, but she's chipping in to buy it because she's richer than me (though younger) and she wants to buy some of her own games.

*Cough* DS downloads *Cough*

My idea is that they make Game Boy cards, SD cards that save on the Wii to be playable on the DS. Or... the DS downloads it from the Wii, and sends the information back when it wants to save. But I like the GB cards idea.

Actually, the Memory Card 251 was 16Mb, or 2MB. Remember a Memory Card 59 was 4Mb, 1/2MB. The MC 251 is roughly four times that size.

An SD card of 16MB will be plenty for a while, even for NES and SNES games. When you move onto N64 games, it'll be time to start worrying about a new memory card.

Really? I could have sworn it was 8... hmmm well whatever. Still much more than will be needed for a decent amount of time.

My guess is that the VC will auto download to system memory then you probably could transfer those onto your SD card

thanks

my dad said i should buy a 2gig sd card for my camera when the wii comes out and use the 512 card for wii.(on my last vacation i almost filled up my 512 card compleatly with photos i only took a few 5 second movies) (i was at niagra falls just for those curious)