NEurope
knightendo

peter molyneux bought?

read this little snippet from cubed3:

"As Game Convention dawns, game designer Peter Molyneux has given his two cents on the upcoming motion-sensing control schemes (Wii / PS3) in his “Combat in Games†speech in Leipzig, with a change in his views on being more physically in control with games.

According to gaming website 1up, Molyneux was initially positive about the prospect of integrating motion-sensing into new and existing games, but is now not so sure. He said, "I realized, when I looked at myself in the mirror, I actually looked really stupid. Even with nothing in my hand, I get tired very, very quickly."

"I think motion-sensitivity is very, very useful, but I think the obvious way of doing it -unless you're dealing with a 15 to 20 minute experience at most of actually being hugely physical - is not where the opportunity lies here."

He suggests that the innovation provided by motion sensing should go beyond replicating movement on screen, like sword-swinging, to be able to break new ground in the industry.

Stick with C3 for future updates."

now, is it just me, or has he changed his tune since he made that exclusivity deal with microsoft...?

Do people play games just so they don't get tired? I love some kind of arcades because I have to move! That's the main reason people still play arcades.

Definitely bought.

Who cares if you look stupid? Fun is fun. If motion sensing is the most fun, then I'll gladly look stupid. Wether it be on the PS3, the Wii, or beyond. Peter Molyneux? Screw you. :nono:

well here's another quote, this time from news4gamers.com:

-----

"Calling for combat to become 'dramatic, varied and innovative' Molynuex said that gaming could learn a lot from movies and went on to show some scenes from Kill Bill, where Uma Thurman slaughters the 88's in a welter of spectacular one-shot violence. Molyneux said he believed one sword blow should be enough to kill in a game and he thought that if designers adopted a 'one-hit one-kill' system it would intensify the combat and the drama to unprecedented heights.

Molyneux also pondered the fact that he reckoned 80 per cent of gamers only ever really used one button at a time, suggesting that new developments in game context sensitivity would mean that a single button press could be assigned to many actions. Molyneux also went on to possibly commit gaming swordfighting heresy by asking 'do we need a block button anyway?' although he admitted that wasn't a very popular view amongst his Lionhead colleagues.

Elsewhere in a highly amusing speech, Molyneux took time out to give himself a gentle poke in the ribs over the original Fable, desribing it as a 'bit repetitive' and also admitted that he didn't have the energy or indeed inclanation to wave around a Wii controller for hours on end."

-----

so how does this "great visionary" see the future of gaming? a one-button control pad and one-hit kills? wow, innovative... :S really sounds like he's trying to hype up the old way of playing games.... the REALLY old way! all that microsoft money musta gone to his head! (although he's sounding more like a sony employee right now!!)

Too Tired? Pfft! The Wii's controler is light >.< If you get tired after 15mins then maybe you should get off your couch? :)

It is fun how Cubed3 also missed parts where Molyneux actually praised Wiimote and DS, and left only "bad" parts.

It is fun how Cubed3 also missed parts where Molyneux actually praised Wiimote and DS, and left only "bad" parts.

really? you got the full speech? do share :)

Molyneux must be severely overweight. like, the type where a forklift is needed to take him to his microsoft friends houses.

I get knackered and look like some crazy river dancer on ddr but i still have fun

well said that man.

Molyneux also pondered the fact that he reckoned 80 per cent of gamers only ever really used one button at a time, suggesting that new developments in game context sensitivity would mean that a single button press could be assigned to many actions. Molyneux also went on to possibly commit gaming swordfighting heresy by asking 'do we need a block button anyway?' although he admitted that wasn't a very popular view amongst his Lionhead colleagues.

I thought that was why Nintendo made the A button excedingly big on the cube controller, cos game only really need one button to be played with? so he was confirming what nintendo was atually saying last gen?

The guy is now owned by MGS anyway (Microsoft Gaming Studios... not Metal Gear Solid). He's probably expected to say these kinda things.

Yeah, when the Xbox 1080 is released with a motion sensor in the controller (which of course will be in there), Microsoft will be all up motion sensing's ass. Including Molyneux.

...so how does this "great visionary" see the future of gaming? a one-button control pad and one-hit kills? ...

Hmm, he must be a huge fan of Kirby's Air Ride. Shows just how money kills any decency in the average man. And in his case, very average.

Hmm, he must be a huge fan of Kirby's Air Ride. Shows just how money kills any decency in the average man. And in his case, very average.

exactly. the man says he wants to push for realism in games, pushing graphics further, then goes on about how sword fights (in the example he uses) shouldn't be something we replicate at home, it should be one button and one slash should kill a person.

to translate that: "the future of videogaming is flashier graphics not better gameplay. is that ok mr gates? does that help in your plan to pee on wii?"