NEurope
somme

Stargate TV Shows

Well it'sthe longest running (something) series. Going on 10 years, it's still good, although in my opinion not as good as it used to be.

Watched it since 1997 when it first aired on SKYOne. Woo. I was 11. Or 12.

Discuss anything about the show or anti-show. Bard and I will only shout you down if you disagree with us anyway.

i love stargate I've watched a good portian of it on DVD since im much to lazy to actually watch it on da tv.

Hehe, nice one Somme :wink:.

Yeah, well Stargate is the only program I still watch on TV, it's just brilliant on every level, and it's continued to kick ass 10 series in, I just hope it keeps going cause I really can't imagine not staying up till 6am in order to watch re-runs (yes, it's that awesome).

I've just started collecting it on DVD so I can watch it all the time, so I only have series 5 and 6 but will get em all (ridiculously priced as they are) soon as I scramble some cash.

Lets run you down some of the terms:

A Stargate (or Chappa'ai, or whatever else it may be called): A massive ring with 39 dialling symbols which represent constellations and which can establish wormhole links between galaxies "far far away." Daniel Jackson was the first person to successfully dial another gate's number (the world was Abydos) and from there things took off.

SG-1: A team of four people, consisting of Colonel Jack O Neill, Teal'C, Major Samantha Carter and Daniel (who was replaced by the very awesome Jonas for a little more than a season)

Tau'ri: An alien term for human

Goa'uld: One of the galaxies dominant species. The bad guys, in other words. They reproduce asexually. They are symbiotes, who rely on mainly Tau'ri as hosts.

Jaffa (pronounced Jahffah): Are a race of Gou'ald slaves. Have a great sense of honour and rely on symbiotes to sustain them, because they don't have an immune system of their own (the exceptions now being Teal'c and Bra'tac who rely on tretonin to survive, and as a result are unable to enter a state of Keln'o'reem.) Rebel Jaffa are friendly to SG-1, although most obey the commands of Gou'ald system lords such as Mot and Baal, aswell as Anubis.

Tokra: Similar to Gou'ald, except ideologically opposed in every way.

I'll do the rest later :)

Also: Cancellations aren't really to be taken seriously, cause there is a serious fan base for the show, and like with Scrubs, we're not gonna take no for an answer. Besides, Sci-Fi recently said that the 200th ep gave a bit of a ratings boost, so they're considering running it still.

There is always the possibility of a Film aswell.

How is it that you seem to know everything about every program in existance Ashley?

Also: Cancellations aren't really to be taken seriously, cause there is a serious fan base for the show, and like with Scrubs, we're not gonna take no for an answer. Besides, Sci-Fi recently said that the 200th ep gave a bit of a ratings boost, so they're considering running it still.

There is always the possibility of a Film aswell.

How is it that you seem to know everything about every program in existance Ashley?

To answer the last question first, TV is my "thing", I hope to work in the industry, so I keep myself versed in it.

And as a fan of Firefly, Wonderfalls, Arrested Development, The Comeback, Angel and Kitchen Confidential I have this pearl of wisdom to pass on; a strong fanbase does not a renewal make. (Besides, 10 years is a very long time for a show, it should be allowed to leave in peace, rather than degrade and degrade until its finally shifted - ie "do a Charmed")

Im not saying it never works, it worked for Veronica Mars (although that was partly due to one of the Powers That Be at UPN loving the show), and it worked Family Guy but I'd guess the percentage of it working is around 5-10.

I hope it continues FOREVER!

With the prospect of seeing the furlings etc i think s10 could be one of the best yet. I especially like the whole Or'ai vs Ancients thing.

:grin:

I hate stargate! What a lame show! That teal'c guy looks like a travesti and no way can all the galaxy be filled with humans!

All this talk made me wanna watch some episodes, I'm still in season seven and I'm in love with the show.

EDIT: The only good thing in stargate is Mcguiver!

Holy Shit! It's fucking MacGyver!

Macgyver_EP001_0009.jpg

Shit.

Lawl.

Also: Presumably you're joking, cause if not, the men in white hoods are coming to get you :heh:

I like Stargate, not a massive fan but I enjoy watching it. I watched episodes every now and then for a few years and started watching regularly after Enterprise became total horsewank. Hope the cancellation dont stick, I dont wanna wait for years like I did/am with Futurama.

munky's show, futurama, is coming back due to fan pressure, so you never know.

i loved it when it first started and watched it religiously (it's actually what got me involved in one of my fave interests - ancient egypt) but then missed a handful of episodes and decided to (eventually) start collecting it. went thru series one and two on vhs before starting to collect the whole heap on dvd. only up to series five now, this past year i've been collecting knight rider, a-team, airwolf etc but really wana get back to sg1.

didn't i read that the ratings were still climbing after ben browder came in as a regular cast member? it's still one of the top three rated shows on scifi US along with galactica (awesome!) and atlantis... last i read anyway!

I've started watching Sg-1 again recently. I used to watch it obsessively when I was in Year 9. I cried with the team as Daniel Jackson died, it was a sad day. One day, about 4 years ago me and some friends went to Milton Keynes and met Corin Nemec (aka Jonas Quinn) it was the happiest day of our 15 year old lives.

Then season 7 and Atlantis started and I got a bit lost.

But recently i've been watching it, it's just reached season seven i think. It's much more campy than I remember and the acting is dreadful on the most part, but it's still enjoyable. I've found myself commentating over it sometimes though, with what the characters should be saying, might turn into a habit... i should probably stop.

I used to prefer Sg-1 to the original film, but now I have a bigger appreciation for the film and I really hope that MGM gives the go ahead for the next two films because they could be even better.

Stargate is my favourite show alongside scrubs, it's a shame O'neill left though. Haven' watched since the end of season 8 though.

Dude, you met Corin? Nice! Jonas is pretty much my fave character, too bad they only used him in one full season though. Still, nice to see some other hardcore SG-1 fans here.

Anyway, seeing as you're new here, welcome to the boards! I'm el bardo, SG-1, Chrono Trigger and Scrubs fanatic. Enjoy...:heh:.

Stargate is my favourite show alongside scrubs, it's a shame O'neill left though. Haven' watched since the end of season 8 though.

Are you my long lost sibling or something? I mean seriously, get out of here, Chrono Trigger, Scrubs AND SG-1...it's pretty scary :p...

Are you my long lost sibling or something? I mean seriously, get out of here, Chrono Trigger, Scrubs AND SG-1...it's pretty scary :p...

It's so scary it hurts sometimes.

Have you guys heard about Zach Braff giving up the Scrubs at the end of the current season?

He wants to expand his movie career.

Good to be here Bardo'. Not only did I meet Corin but I also got a signed photo and a picture with the great man. My friend Eathorne was shaking and couldn't say a thing when he shook his hand... good times, good times.

Oh, and What!? O'Neill left? He's like, the lynchpin of the series, don't see how it could be that good without him.

Lots of things point to season 6 being the last season of scrubs.

It's so scary it hurts sometimes.

Aww, you know you love me really. And is that a scrubs quote...? "I miss you so much it hurts sometimes" JD to Turk, episode 3 "My best friends mistake" :p.

Have you guys heard about Zach Braff giving up the Scrubs at the end of the current season?

He wants to expand his movie career.

Good to be here Bardo'. Not only did I meet Corin but I also got a signed photo and a picture with the great man. My friend Eathorne was shaking and couldn't say a thing when he shook his hand... good times, good times.

Oh, and What!? O'Neill left? He's like, the lynchpin of the series, don't see how it could be that good without him.

Lots of things point to season 6 being the last season of scrubs.

Noice, you my friend are the luckiest man I know, I think Corin is a really good actor, but I can't seem to find any movies with him in it, which sucks, but I hope we'll se some stuff from him soon...

Zach Braff isn't leaving, definately not, he is definately expanding his movie career, but season 6 is the last season of Scrubs anyway, so it won't interfere much.

Also: Isn't O Neill in Atlantis now? I don't know cause I don't watch it.

You all spell it wrong :p it's stargåte not stargate ;)

Anyhow a great show. The tv channel here stopped airing in the middle of 5th or sixth season. My friend has the dvd's so I'll be watching the series from the start in few months. Currently I'm watching atlantis. O'neill was in the first episode of it.

Shit my brother has just moved to a new flat and I think he took his box sets. Should have watched them when I had the chance.

i have up to season 7 on DVD and have just bought 9 off ebay. just need 8. isnt 8 where some funky shit happens?