NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Fuzpoy

What if drugs were legal

Might I ask to the regular users of anykind of drugs, what makes you use them?

I smoke weed with friends, it just improves the general social atmosphere imo. It's a group activity, gives you something to do together and feel good. Nothing 'makes' or forces me to use them, it's my choice and I also choose not to abuse it. (A joint or two every month or so currently). Why do you go on a drinking binge?

This might make me sound like a hypocrite but I wouldn't be comfortable with drugs like crack, cocaine and heroine being legal because that shit fucks you up real bad.

This might make me sound like a hypocrite but I wouldn't be comfortable with drugs like crack, cocaine and heroine being legal because that shit fucks you up real bad.

With coke being the safest of those 3, if you moderate yourself to like once a month, it can be a cool drug. (I personally choose not to, since i don't want to find out wether i have an addictive personality the hard way :P)

Because it makes me hip, cool and trendy. In that order.

Edit: Seriously though, same reasons as Dieter. It's incredibly relaxing, and not being the greatest in social situations, it helps a lot.

With coke being the safest of those 3, if you moderate yourself to like once a month, it can be a cool drug. (I personally choose not to, since i don't want to find out wether i have an addictive personality the hard way :P)

Its the general portrayal of cocaine that's its a purely recreational drug and is the least harmless for the class As. Its not - its class A for a reason :p

Most of the time, if its in limited use it can be alright (i.e doesnt lead to many complications) - if you have heart problems (that you may not know of) then it can lead to some bad shit - heart attacks and the like.

Yeah, which is why i said i'm not gonna try it :P

Also, weed was class A for a while, doesn't say much about the harmfulness of it all.

Yeah, which is why i said i'm not gonna try it :P

Also, weed was class A for a while, doesn't say much about the harmfulness of it all.

Weed was class A (and still is in the US of A) due to misinformation back in the 50's, now the government is (albeit grudgingly) starting to see the light a bit.

Cocaine, however, has been proven to be very addictive and fairly harmful. And the high just isn't worth that.

Here's something to think about...

harmfuldrugs.gif

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/5230006.stm

Perhaps most surprising is the presence of two Class A drugs - ecstasy and LSD - in the bottom six.

This places them well below tobacco and alcohol and a number of class B and C drugs.

And on another note

Alzheimer's disease is the leading cause of dementia among the elderly, and with the ever-increasing size of this population, cases of Alzheimer's disease are expected to triple over the next 50 years. Consequently, the development of treatments that slow or halt the disease progression have become imperative to both improve the quality of life for patients and reduce the health care costs attributable to Alzheimer's disease. Here, we demonstrate that the active component of marijuana, 9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), competitively inhibits the enzyme acetylcholinesterase (AChE) as well as prevents AChE-induced amyloid -peptide (A) aggregation, the key pathological marker of Alzheimer's disease. Computational modeling of the THC-AChE interaction revealed that THC binds in the peripheral anionic site of AChE, the critical region involved in amyloidgenesis. Compared to currently approved drugs prescribed for the treatment of Alzheimer's disease, THC is a considerably superior inhibitor of A aggregation, and this study provides a previously unrecognized molecular mechanism through which cannabinoid molecules may directly impact the progression of this debilitating disease.

http://pubs.acs.org/cgi-bin/sample.cgi/mpohbp/asap/abs/mp060066m.html

Heroin and crack should be made available on the NHS. Doctors could then properly moderate addicts during rehab. They would have safe supplies (minus the good old brick dust etc), clean needles and such. It would be much better than current methods.

other than that, the less socially acceptable the better IMO. Things like Class A drugs are simply too physically destructive to ever be legalised if you ask me.

Heroin and crack should be made available on the NHS. Doctors could then properly moderate addicts during rehab. They would have safe supplies (minus the good old brick dust etc), clean needles and such. It would be much better than current methods.

other than that, the less socially acceptable the better IMO. Things like Class A drugs are simply too physically destructive to ever be legalised if you ask me.

Even if 2 of the current class A's have been proven to be less harmful than even Weed and alcohol. :/

Its liek saying why do you drink, its fun, makes a night better, makes you feel class etc etc.

They wouldn't need to steal because they would be so much cheaper. They wouldn't need to pay exorbitant prices because they would be able to be imported legally the Government would be able to say what price they were. There would be safe places to take the drugs and clean needles for everyone.

(I'm not saying its a good idea, this is just what the book says)

And have you heard of something called tax?

Because they're really, really fun.

oh my!

iv never wanted to go out so much in my life after watching part of that:bowdown: its all irelevant, dosent matter weather their legal or not as its not hard to obtain them even when illegal. and if they were legal i and i had to steal to feed my addiction i wouldt rob a tv or car i would just rob the drugs so it wouldnt affect others that are non users.

in fact the only thing you can struggle in getting is weed as a drought can be a bitch :shakehead and yet you can still get all the other drugs so legalise cannabis so i dont go short,:yay: not like thats much of a problem.

dont think its all that realistic as people dont just start droping like flys in a club. last week at gay pride i did 90 hourses without sleep and im not going to go into what i had or how much but i love to test my body and mind in all ways concievable but its not what every one should do KNOS knoledge of ones self

Alzheimer's disease is the leading cause of dementia among the elderly, and with the ever-increasing size of this population, cases of Alzheimer's disease are expected to triple over the next 50 years. Consequently, the development of treatments that slow or halt the disease progression have become imperative to both improve the quality of life for patients and reduce the health care costs attributable to Alzheimer's disease. Here, we demonstrate that the active component of marijuana, 9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), competitively inhibits the enzyme acetylcholinesterase (AChE) as well as prevents AChE-induced amyloid -peptide (A) aggregation, the key pathological marker of Alzheimer's disease. Computational modeling of the THC-AChE interaction revealed that THC binds in the peripheral anionic site of AChE, the critical region involved in amyloidgenesis. Compared to currently approved drugs prescribed for the treatment of Alzheimer's disease, THC is a considerably superior inhibitor of A aggregation, and this study provides a previously unrecognized molecular mechanism through which cannabinoid molecules may directly impact the progression of this debilitating disease.

If THC is proven to help in Alzheimer's then it should be released as a drug asap, however, just becuase THC comes from marajuana doesn't mean that marajuana is safe. I mean, look at all the reports coming out now that it causes paranoia. schzophrenia and other mind-altering conditions...

As for the classification, I'm guessing that many factors are involved in it. For instance, if alcohol was a new thing then I'm sure it would be banned. however, since its been drank for millennia the body has learned to cope with it, and its an intergral part of soceity. Same with tobacco - its been around for centuries and is too well ingrained into soceity. Legalistion is a tricky subject - its never been tried before - therefor the theoretical aims may not be achieved in practise.

Check this out if you want to know more about drugs: http://www.erowid.org

"Not all drugs are good, some of them are great!" - Bill Hicks (RIP)

Just kidding, but there is *alot* of misinformation about drugs out there, and if it was about protecting people, there are alot of currently illegal drugs that are much less harmful than alcohol, so...

Note; I do not condone the use of illegal drugs but which drugs are legal and not seems to depend much more on culture then on how harmful they are

What I hate about any drugs or even small amounts of alcahol in a social situation is the way it completely desensitises people. I've always hated that bit towards the end of the family meal when the wine starts to take effect and then people just start spouting almost complete nonsense in gneral direcion of others. I call it "after dinner dribbiling". Don't get me wrong - I do drink, but rarely in any social situation I actually want to be in.

Pot is even worse. After about the first hour of the party the maijuana comes out, the Ipod shuffles to 50Cent, I get some git mumbiling in my ear about someones arse for the rest of the night and everyone claims the day after that they had a really deep, meaningful converstaion about life and the planets. I can't stress this enough - you really, really didn't. That just isn't what pot is for. If it was, everyone on Newsnight would be puffing away on joints every night, but they're not.

What I hate about any drugs or even small amounts of alcahol in a social situation is the way it completely desensitises people. I've always hated that bit towards the end of the family meal when the wine starts to take effect and then people just start spouting almost complete nonsense in gneral direcion of others. I call it "after dinner dribbiling". Don't get me wrong - I do drink, but rarely in any social situation I actually want to be in.

Pot is even worse. After about the first hour of the party the maijuana comes out, the Ipod shuffles to 50Cent, I get some git mumbiling in my ear about someones arse for the rest of the night and everyone claims the day after that they had a really deep, meaningful converstaion about life and the planets. I can't stress this enough - you really, really didn't. That just isn't what pot is for. If it was, everyone on Newsnight would be puffing away on joints every night, but they're not.

The fact that alcohol "desesitises" everything, is not a bad thing, On occasion people can make arses of themselves, but that's generally funny. You can also learn what people really think, when they're too "scared" to say things when they're sober.

And if people doing pot think they're having a deep and meaningful conversation, who really cares? If they had fun leave them alone.

The fact that alcohol "desesitises" everything, is not a bad thing, On occasion people can make arses of themselves, but that's generally funny. You can also learn what people really think, when they're too "scared" to say things when they're sober.

And if people doing pot think they're having a deep and meaningful conversation, who really cares? If they had fun leave them alone.

Pot and alchaol is like weird version of Equlibrium, where everyone's been desensitised to the world around them, except that this time people are doing it to themselves.

The vomiting on my trainers, flying bottles, hours of dull round-about conversations and dragging passed-out minors somewhere safe I can handle. It's the insults in the morning that do me in.

"Hey, why din't smoke pot with us last night?"

"I just don't wanna, OK?"

"Aww man you're so dull. You should learn to relax, like me..."

"Look, your sister's asleep upstairs, I'm tired and my shoes are full. I'm going home."

Alcohol and ocassionally Pot, it's just nice to get away from who you are most of the time, you know, it makes you more prone to show your outward feelings towards people.

For example, my friend did LSD/ Ketamine (horse tranquiliser) pills on thursday (exam results), and generally is so fucking closed off its unbelievable, and at that time, he was just being outwardly open and affectionate towards myself and the others.

You're the most truthful when you're intoxicated, but sometimes that can backfire. I recall yelling "Stop stealing my friends" to this guy at a party, cause I was pissed and a bit distressed, it was pretty embarassing, but you just have to know when to stop.

I don't believe that all drugs should be legalised, because then everything would just become chaotic, if people are able to obtain and use drugs, and they want to, without an addiction, then thats up to them.

Gaggle, you have some wierd family.

Somme, is quite right on his points.

But perhaps the only reason anyone uses drugs at all is because we are all self hating narcissists who just want an easy means to happiness.

And have you heard of something called tax?

Government would be able to say what price they were.

I meant tax by that. It probably wouldn't matter all that much for the drugs which are cheaper to buy anyway, but say a gram of cocaine is £50 'on the streets', they would be able to get it for, say, £25 in a chemist with a clean needle and somewhere to inject it safely meaning.

a) They save £25

b) The drug lords/barons don't get £25 for doing nothing, therefore they go out of business, so to speak

c) There isn't, or shouldn't be any trouble of people dropping needles and people accidently hurting themselves with them and possibly giving themeselves a disease (this does actually happen)

d) The NHS saves money because they dont need to treat people who took bad quality drugs

e) The government gets loads of money to spend on other things.

The government would tax everything SEVERELY so no body used it, unless you were rich, So it would probably cost a lot more.

Drugs are expensive in Perth anyways, a hell of a lot more than England. Luckily I know the right people and get it for free!

Pot and alchaol is like weird version of Equlibrium, where everyone's been desensitised to the world around them, except that this time people are doing it to themselves.

The vomiting on my trainers, flying bottles, hours of dull round-about conversations and dragging passed-out minors somewhere safe I can handle. It's the insults in the morning that do me in.

"Hey, why din't smoke pot with us last night?"

"I just don't wanna, OK?"

"Aww man you're so dull. You should learn to relax, like me..."

"Look, your sister's asleep upstairs, I'm tired and my shoes are full. I'm going home."

Not meaning to be rude, but it's your fault you hang around with people who think you're "dull for not doing drugs". I mean my friends, who yes do drugs, would never say that to me if I said no. They'd just say, "OK maybe another time then," or if I didn't do it at all they'd make sure I was all right with them doing it around me.

I've come to realise there are defintitly many different types of drug users. Luckily I'm friends with the nicest type.

I meant tax by that. It probably wouldn't matter all that much for the drugs which are cheaper to buy anyway, but say a gram of cocaine is £50 'on the streets', they would be able to get it for, say, £25 in a chemist with a clean needle and somewhere to inject it safely meaning.

a) They save £25

They wouldn't save 25£, they would just buy 50£ worth of it.

And in reply to the person who asked why you take them:

Strangely enough I took drugs because i always knew I would. I'm the kind of person who wants to try nearly everything.

I like taking drugs and working out how it makes me feel about myself, people and where I am. As a musician it's very good for inspiration. You look at things completely differently. Thing suddenly dawn on you. And you also realise how many references there are to drugs in every day life. Especially in music.

If THC is proven to help in Alzheimer's then it should be released as a drug asap, however, just becuase THC comes from marajuana doesn't mean that marajuana is safe. I mean, look at all the reports coming out now that it causes paranoia. schzophrenia and other mind-altering conditions...

I'd rather be paranoid than have Alzheimers...

As for the classification, I'm guessing that many factors are involved in it. For instance, if alcohol was a new thing then I'm sure it would be banned. however, since its been drank for millennia the body has learned to cope with it, and its an intergral part of soceity. Same with tobacco - its been around for centuries and is too well ingrained into soceity. Legalistion is a tricky subject - its never been tried before - therefor the theoretical aims may not be achieved in practise.

Shamans have been taking 'Magic' Mushrooms millenia, thats still illegal.

Sign in to follow this