NEurope
marcel

A couple of questions about the Nintendo Wii

hello,

i've got a view questions, these are the questions.

1)i've got an 100hz widescreen crt tv(SDTV) my question about dous 100hz do about the same as progressive scan?

2) why dous the Wii/gamecube have an output resolution of 640 x 480 while the average tv can do 720 x 480(576 in europe)?

3)can nintendo submit an higher resolution(852:480) via an RGB scart cable if widescreen mode is availible?

4)what is the difference between the component cable and an RGB scart cable on the tv screen? (except that its progressive)

5) i hear on verious sites that the Wii will support better textures but what dous that mean that it will look sharper?

thanks for answering the questions

(sorry for the manny questions.)

1)y

2)n

3)y

4)y

5)n

i dont understand the answers to 2, 3 and 4

I think he was just being a jerk and answering randomly yes and no... I have no idea about any of these questions. Sorry.

Your questions make little to no sense. Wii games will output at 480i and 480p and a lot of games will support widescreen, that's pretty much all that's known and all that needs to be known. There's no HD, but there is progressive scan and widescreen.

2) why dous the Wii/gamecube have an output resolution of 640 x 480 while the average tv can do 720 x 480(576 in europe)?

640 x 480 is standard (albeit low-end) resolution for PCs. That's why most games are simply programmed into that resolution, even though TV has slightly bigger resolution than that.

3)can nintendo submit an higher resolution(852:480) via an RGB scart cable if widescreen mode is availible?

Yes. But this requires far more processing power, so don't except it to happen very often.

4)what is the difference between the component cable and an RGB scart cable on the tv screen?

With RGB, each main colour (Red, Green, Blue) is seperated into its own line. This creates more clearer picture with better colour balance / contrast.

5) i hear on verious sites that the Wii will support better textures but what dous that mean that it will look sharper?

When textures are put on the game disc, they are compressed to save important space. In addition that compressing textures saves space, it also affects how good texture actually look. Too tightly compressed texture looks blurry and washed out. With Gamecube, 3rd party publishers needed to compress their textures even more than with Xbox or PS2, because GC disks can hold only 1.4 GB worth of data. With Wii, textures are having less compression because you have more storage space.

Less compression = less compression artifacts = sharper looking textures

Also because Wii has more GPU memory, it can have more different textures in memory at same time.

lol i just play the games not an expert on tvs.....I don't understand any of these questions to be honest......So why did i post u say?Because i have nothing better to do!

With RGB, each main colour (Red, Green, Blue) is seperated into its own line. This creates more clearer picture with better colour balance / contrast.

Doesn't a component cable also do this? I had thought the cable that came with a Gamecube was a component cable (as in, the picture is divided into Red, Green and Blue components). I remember reading that an RGB SCART cable is similar but better, but I don't know why.

I'm just curious is all; I'm by no means an expert.

AFAIK, that all depends on your TV

AFAIK, that all depends on your TV

Hmh, did you even read other posts in this thread? I mean he didn't mean HD-TV. And I explained why we can except more clear looking textures with Wii.

hello,

i've got a view questions, these are the questions.

1)i've got an 100hz widescreen crt tv(SDTV) my question about dous 100hz do about the same as progressive scan?

Refresh rate is not progressive scan. PS is drawing all lines on the screen in one pass while refresh rate determines the amount of passes.

640x480 is the standard for most TVs and the average tv is limited to 480i (interlaced). The wii will have 480p standard in all games (it is unclear if that means the widescreen 480p or just the standard screen 480p).

Yes, widescreen can and will be output (zelda TP is widescreen on the wii).

4)what is the difference between the component cable and an RGB scart cable on the tv screen? (except that its progressive)

Well component is the world standard for high quality analog video signals while scart is a french standard (from my understanding). I would recommend component cables since I recall somthing about scart using high voltages that could damage equipment if pulled out durring operation. Anyway the same signal is passed over the wires so whatever you think looks better/perfer using will work fine :)

A texture is a 2D image (like any jpeg file) that is layed over polygons that make up 3D models and make them look like they have skin, fur etc... (check out the polygon people from super smash bros on the 64 to see some un textured models). These textures take up space on the disk used to store the game and in the ram when the game is running so compression is used to save on space. Compression is basically a mathmatical way of taking somthing and shrinking it, however, when uncompressed it can cause artifacts (little things that just look wrong like wrong shades on pixels and such). Not really sure why that is but my guess is that either somthing is lost durring the compression or when it is uncompressed. The wii will have larger disks and more ram than the cube so textures will naturally be able to look better.

thanks for answering the questions

(sorry for the manny questions.)

No problem :)

Hmh, did you even read other posts in this thread? I mean he didn't mean HD-TV. And I explained why we can except more clear looking textures with Wii.

No, i didn't, :heh:

Yes, widescreen can and will be output (zelda TP is widescreen on the wii).

Yeah but only few very rare cases that widescreen is actually "real" 854 x 480 widescreen. Usually widescreen is anamorphic in games. This means that picture's resolution is actually 724 x 480, but when you play it using widescreen television, image spreads and looks correct. To make my point more clear, here is two pictures that I have taken from Sin City DVD that is anamorphic release. First picture shows how movie is actually stored in the DVD. Second shows film actually looks when used with widescreen television.

http://img235.imageshack.us/img235/8710/sincity1nm3.jpg

http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/6437/sincity2dc2.jpg

But what happens if you don't have widescreen television? Then film also spreads widescreen aspect ratio, but you will get black borders on top and bottom of the film (DVD player handles this process).

Keep in mind that Progressive Scan got banned from PAL gamecubes for some reason i don't know and maybe we'll get progressive scan out of our PAL Wii's too. I hope not.

Here's a great guide wich explains all the possible video connections you can make with a gamecube and why some are better than others:

http://db.gamefaqs.com/console/gamecube/file/gamecube_connectivity.txt

Since the Wii connections will probably be similar, you can take this info in consideration.

Anyone know if you can connect it to a computer monitor? Like they promised us many years ago. I want to get rid of my tv ideally.

It depends on the size of the texture and as already stated on the compression.

The bigger the texture the sharper it will look. If you're far away from an object you won't notice the difference between a big and a small texture but as you get closer a small texture will become more and more blurry while the big texture will still be sharp or you'll even be able to make out more details like faint structures on a wall.

Anyone know if you can connect it to a computer monitor? Like they promised us many years ago. I want to get rid of my tv ideally.

From the ports we have seen it doesn't look like there'll be a connection but it was also possible to play GC on a PC (my friend did that once) so if you really want to it's possible.

There was a thread in tech talk a while ago about GC - PC connectivity too.

Here's a great guide wich explains all the possible video connections you can make with a gamecube and why some are better than others:

Thanks, Blue_Ninja, that FAQ answered my above question.

To see the page, you'll have to copy and paste this URL into your address bar:

db.gamefaqs.com/console/gamecube/file/gamecube_connectivity.txt

Thanks, Blue_Ninja, that FAQ answered my above question.

To see the page, you'll have to copy and paste this URL into your address bar:

db.gamefaqs.com/console/gamecube/file/gamecube_connectivity.txt

Aw, sorry, i didn't even check the link i posted.

I've edited the post.