NEurope
Fierce_LiNk

What did the Gamecube do for you?

I'm feeling a bit creative today, so this is my second thread within 10 mins.

I thought it was a bit quiet here, so it needed some extra oomph. *enter F_L with a new thread*

So, as the topic asks, what did the gamecube do for you?

My opinion:

It really got me into new realms of creativity, especially with things like graphical styles in games. Killer7, Cel Damage, and Zelda: Wind Waker are definitely part of the reason why i think this is so.

Also, with multiplayer. I had enjoyed games on the N64, but the cube really became the ultimate multiplayer console for me. Things like smash bros melee and mario party 4 have become must-play games when mates come over.

What are your thoughts?

It allowed me to explore the wonders of the Resident Evil Series and also see Nintendo's shortcomings. By this I mean the lack of flare with their own titles. Mario Sunshine, Zelda - Wind Waker, Mario Kart. I felt that these game sdidn't have the greatness of their N64 cousins. However the machine itself is better built than the N64. Memory card slots, no trouble with them unlike the slots on the N64 controllers. I often had to blow onto a cartridge to remove dust sometimes to get it to go if it wouldn't power up the first time I turned on my N64, no such troubles with the GC. The Wave Bird - brilliantly designed and worked perfectly. I was also introduced to alot more 3rd party titles such as splinter cell and timesplitters. Rare were the magic developer on N64, I reckon Capcom worked some lovely magic on the Game Cube.

It's probably responsible for my bad uni performance and allowed me some of the best times of my life.

It enabled me to play games.

is that all? my one cooks my dinner for me... even does the washing up!

but on a more serious note... the gamecube to me was nothing more than a more powerful piece of hardware from the n64.

sure there was amazing and creative games... but, nothin more than that.

lol, it did always give me the false hope of a new realistic zelda title. man, ive been following that TP princess stuff for ages. and yes, i do know its coming to gamecube, but, i really cant be buggered with that if im getting a wii.

It, funnily enough. Enabled me to play Ocarina Of Time, when i got Wind Waker. Which turned out to be the greatest gaming experience i've had. Apart from that, Wind Waker, blew me away (sorry about that). The step into the unheard of with the cel - shading implemented into the Zelda series for the first time, was a great change. Yes the sailing was a bit tiresome but the dungeons/new items where inventive and theres bags more to do once you've completed the game.

Apart from that really, Super Smash Brothers Melee was the only game i really used to appreaciate. It is the ULTIMATE multiplayer game and it took 100's of hours of my life. Two sequels/prequels then to N64 games.

The gamecube also brought great new first party franchises that bumped up nintendo's tally. Shigsy's brainchild - Pikmin to name one.

It actually turned me back into a bit of a fan-boy.

I deserted Nintendo very early on in the N64s lifespan and took the option of exploring the Playstation brand.

After a spell exploring the PS1 and then later the PS2 , I noticed that I was becoming increasingly bored of gaming in general and there just was not any fun being offered in the games that I was playing.

I got the Cube on launch and despite a less-than-stellar line up , gaming instantly seemed like fun again.

As the Cube struggled I opted to try the XBox and the Sony syndrome kicked in very quickly and I was soon bored again.

By this time , I had missed a lot of Cube games but when I decided to catch up it was like returning to old friends.

I am not slaming the competitors at all , its just not for me - and it does seem quite ironic that Nintendos probably least successful console has made me return to the fold.

It got me playing Phantasy star online for a ridicules 1500+hours over the course of a year and a bit while making a few friends along the way.

It got me Playing Resident evil 4 which I honesty feel is one of the greatest games created, had me playing Wind Waker which I love (just a shame about the triforce collecting stuff). Countless multiplayer Smash brothers match’s and just having a good time getting the trophies, my first taste of Animal crossing, online tourneys on Phantasy star online 3, beating a par of Bongo drums in my living room in tune with a monkey (Donkey konga 1 & 2), playing the pure awesomeness of Donkey kong Jungle beat, playing Ultimate muscle again in endless multiplayer, Mario Smash Tennis had a brilliant multiplayer mode also that can take hours of your life without you even knowing it, had me swearing in frustration at the challenges on F-Zero GX and the two Pikmin games which where perfect to play on the cold winter nights last year. Unlocking the hidden ships and levels in Starwars rouge leader.

I'm sure there's more, I played my gamecube almost al the time and I plan to try and get a lot more games for my cube that I missed (Chibi robo and the two mega man collections are next). I can see myself still playing in in a couple of years.

It re-introduced me to the Prince of Persia franchise, as well as giving me classic gaming moments from games including Wind Waker, Metroid Prime and Smash Bros.

Here's hoping this tradition continues with the Wii

It cost me a lot of money with relatively low payoff across it's library of games.

Couldn't agree more. If it wasn't for my PSP it would be the worst system i'd bought.

It brought me Resident Evil 4, possibly the best single player game I have ever played. It also brought me Smash Bros, the best multiplayer game I have ever played. It allowed me to play ocarina for the 1st time. There was also Timesplitters 2, Tony Hawk's 4, F-Zero and Power Tennis (all great multiplayer games. There was also of course Zelda, Mario and Metroid, all of them super amazing. All in all, it brought me a lot of fun.

The Gamecube effectively changed the way I thought of games.

I'd say I was a young gamer, starting with an Amiga 600, then onto a Snes and Megadrive. I was into the obvious games like Mario and Sonic.

It was a while before I bought a playstation. This is when I got into gaming I think I must have owned over 50 playstation games, and I would get games regularly. But most of which I never completed and some I didn't like, I bought on a whim most of the time because the pictures on the back looked cool or the price was nice. I missed the whole 64 era because of that damned machine. I opted for quantity and not quality.

Then came the PS2 natural progression from the playstation, I started to think it was a good machine picking up a few games. But I would just pick up sequels, like MGS2 and FFX.

Then the Gamecube came along and I started to remember Nintendo titles. I began to get into games and do more research on titles before purchase. Began to use the internet to find out more of what was happening in the gaming world.

The Gamecube was all about quality games for me (wow I finally got to my point, I'm sorry it took so long). Titles like Smash Bros Melee that I hated at first became a game I would spend hours on, especially for Mewtwo. Mario Sunshine, was a fantastic I love it, even if many hate it. Wind Waker, Animal Crossing, Resident Evil 4, PSO, Donkey Konga. The list goes on, the Gamecube has more memorable games for me than any other console. And is probably to blame for my choice of Computer Games Development at University.

Well, not owning consoles from other brands the GC allowed me to finally experience two of the best games ever created: Resident Evil Remake and Metal Gear Solid. And also Metroid Prime. GC to me is basically those 3 games. RE4 has much intensity but doesn't have a tenth of the atmosphere any of those 3 have.

I still haven't played Zelda Wind Waker, though.

It was also the first console which I started affording myself, the console and the games, since I didn't work in my N64 days (well, I did in the summer but it's not really the same).

A black cube that plays games. It's almost as good as a games sphere :P.

Years ago, I had dreams of a Zelda title that was dark and mysterious, something atmospherically comparable to Eternal Darkness. Something that humanised Link, made him alive.

Instead, I got a delightful, colourful and highly Tellie Tubbies coloured variant that was still good, but wasn't what I wanted. Nintendo almost destroyed that Zelda-esque feel, but managed to keep the game a 'Zelda' game.

Then it came, the one light of hope for the GCN, that will never end up being that light of hope for the GCN :P.

I am looking forward to one thing in life. One thing. Twilight Princess.

One thing.

Nice post Ramar.

I dont know what the Cube has done for me, tis a difficult question. I got it on release with Luigi's Mansion and I thought the graphics and game were wonderful - I rationed my playing time on it and I still had it finished over the weekend, that was the major dissapointment. Then I got the lend of Starwars and loved it but never bought it...

Im trying to think of a good answer here. Id been following the games industry through mags til late on in the N64s life and I suppose that throughout the Cubes life and with using internet for info Ive become more learned than I probably should be lol and Im lots more aware of how the industry works and how Nintendo have been fighting a pretty much losing battle to Sony and Microsoft.

...what has the Wii given us? Well, hope. And in fairness that hope (for me) mainly comes from looking at how well the DS is doing and that in theory the Wii should follow suit.

It got me into Nintendo. Sure there isn't enough games for the system and thats why it sold poorly, but I loved a small collection of games on it, especially The Wind Waker, Resident Evil 4, Mario Sunshine, and the Pikmin games. All amazing. Without GC I wouldn't be getting a Wii.

it made my male friends point and laugh

it made my female friends say 'awwww look its so cute! and purple!''

it made me say ''well they were out of black ones!''