NEurope
CoolFunkMan

Plot to blow up planes foiled

According to the news its a "suspected" plot, with the UK police's track record, lets hope they don't completely fail to prove it again. Regardless if lives were saved thats definitely a good thing. Apparently the plan wasn't necessarily to bring down any planes today, they just happened to pick last night for the raid and raise security here. Seems a bit much that they are taking away peoples' hand luggage when they have baggage scanners for that, perhaps those scanners are not very efficient?

Woot! I'm getting on a plane to Japan in exactly 31 days! Perfect timing for this huh? v.v;; Well things will most likely be back to normal by then, but, it's not exactly making me feel safe on my first time inside of a plane ever....... ; ;

the scanners are limited, I imagine its like spam filters, but obviously since the stakes are higher than mild annoyance and irritation they want to make sure failure doesn't happen.

thinking about the terrorists who would commit suicide attacks, I actually feel sorry for them. Not the corpse that actually commits the atrocity, but the person who used to be alive and in control of that body.

and I wonder if that person can ever be saved? I would hope so, and that that person would not be so gullible/stupid to let the same thing happen to themselves.

Woot! I'm getting on a plane to Japan in exactly 31 days! Perfect timing for this huh? v.v;; Well things will most likely be back to normal by then, but, it's not exactly making me feel safe on my first time inside of a plane ever....... ; ;

don't worry about it, worry will never be helpful. to be fair you're probably slightly safer the sooner you fly after this, as the relevant agencies will be particularly vigilant for a while yet.

Damn it, I hate flying as it is all I need now is more scares to crap me up when I go on holiday in a month.

Lucky person

Goddamnit!

I'm due to go New York on Saturday by British Airways from Heathrow.

I guess its been cancelled.

:sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

My mum's nervous about this holiday as it is!

I timed my New York trip right then, also, im gonig to tenerife next friday, from Leeds/Bradford airport, i should be cool.

Stupid terrorist bastards indeed, but we can't only blame them. They are products of this world, which we live in, thus we are partly responsible for the horrendous things nations around the world are doing to their own or other people which usually is why these terrorists exists.

Look at the USA for example, how many cases of "exporting terrorism" have they done the last 25 years? 5? 10? 50? All I can say is that it's definatly more then 1, and thats enough to make someone try to hit them back with the same tactics, that is, terrorism.

Note: I do not support terrorism, it's just that this whole "war on terrorism" is ridiculous, it's like waging war on like, jealousy or something. And the country that started this whole "third world war"(Bush said it :/) probably has exported more terrorism than any other country the last 100 years.

Stupid terrorist bastards indeed, but we can't only blame them. They are products of this world, which we live in, thus we are partly responsible for the horrendous things nations around the world are doing to their own or other people which usually is why these terrorists exists.

Look at the USA for example, how many cases of "exporting terrorism" have they done the last 25 years? 5? 10? 50? All I can say is that it's definatly more then 1, and thats enough to make someone try to hit them back with the same tactics, that is, terrorism.

Note: I do not support terrorism, it's just that this whole "war on terrorism" is ridiculous, it's like waging war on like, jealousy or something. And the country that started this whole "third world war"(Bush said it :/) probably has exported more terrorism than any other country the last 100 years.

This is true to an extent. But then you can cause and effect anything. Why did America make mistakes? Oh becuase it was pushed into it by the Soviet Regime who only became expansionist because of Hitler who only arose becuase of the Treaty of Versailles etc etc etc.

Give the terrorists some credit and free will. They have choices to make and they made one and got caught. Of course its in the reaction to the situation they are in but it is still a choice.

Also in this case if you want someone to blame, the UK government and cutlure for not giving a positive culture or sense of citzenship. As well as Muslim leaders for not consitently and openly condeming this behaviour. I know some have but it needs to be a much more unified and stronger effort.

And for once the British secret service did a good job! To be fair I expect they do good stuff quite a lot of the time that we never hear about.

haha my friend was flying out to florida today and now the airport is closed ROFL :P

Goddamnit!

I'm due to go New York on Saturday by British Airways from Heathrow.

I guess its been cancelled.

:sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

My mum's nervous about this holiday as it is!

Not necessarily true, they're not even cancelling today's flights, only upping the security level. The point is today was not necessarily a terrorist attack thwarted, it's just they day they chose to make their arrests, and heightened security to prevent retaliation.

Not necessarily true, they're not even cancelling today's flights, only upping the security level. The point is today was not necessarily a terrorist attack thwarted, it's just they day they chose to make their arrests, and heightened security to prevent retaliation.

Wait, do we know where the suspects were arrested, in the airport at the luggage check or somewhere else?

I still want to go but I can't see my mum being quite as calm. She's spent the last three days worrying about every enventuality as it is.

Should I call my Dad at work and tell him or is he better off finding out at 6 when he comes home?

They were arrested during raids on their homes, or at other private residences, in London, High Wycombe and Birmingham. The arrests were pre-emptive.

They were arrested during raids on their homes, or at other private residences, in London, High Wycombe and Birmingham. The arrests were pre-emptive.

I've tried explaining this twice, I think you'll have to say it another eight or nine times for the people in this thread to get it....

can somebody answer me this, what do the terrorists actually want and why?

They want to plant the bomb at A and get 3 points.

They want to plant the bomb at A and get 3 points.

:laughing:

seriously though, they never mention on the news what the terrorists are trying to achieve with all these terror plots

:laughing:

seriously though, they never mention on the news what the terrorists are trying to achieve with all these terror plots

Terrorists want all kinds of things, most terrorism groups are religious - but each group wants something different. Most of them hate America for various reasons. Most of them are too stupid to realise that killing in their gods name contradicts their relegious beliefs but hey. Most of them will never realise that killing people and blowing up buildings never actually changes the world in their favour.

Most of them will never realise that killing people and blowing up buildings never actually changes the world in their favour.

Dunno about that - Bin Laden talked about wanting an all out war between west and east, Muslim and Christian. The 9/11 attacks seemed to further that aim a fair bit.

There has probably been a big operation on this for months before moving in today seen as it was a suspected plot. The people were all arrested at their homes. They knew about them and knew what they were up to and last night was the time to move in.

There has probably been a big operation on this for months before moving in today seen as it was a suspected plot. The people were all arrested at their homes. They knew about them and knew what they were up to and last night was the time to move in.

They were waiting for Bauer to make the call.