NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Ollie

Going 64

I have decided it is time to upgrade my PC to 64bit. I am going to use the case/hdd and optical drives that I already have but need a new mobo/cpu/ram and PSU. I might be able to use the ram I already have but that depends on the mobo and the hard drives I have at the mo are ATA so unless you can get adaptors I'll need a new HDD.

My question is, can anyone recommend a good motherboard? I don't have loads of cash, this is the Processor I want to get, I need a future proof Mobo so that I can upgrade to dual core at a later date.

If you have a 64bit mobo and think it's good, it would be nice if you could post a llink and give me your thoughts. Thanks!

A word of warning about both the CPU and XP x64.

In terms of the CPU, one its fairly slow its not gunna be all that of a difference if you did move over to XP x64 and also the socket 939 will be obsolete very very soon. Socket AM2 will be replacing it, i suggest you invest in an AM2 and don't spend something thats going to useless fairly soon after you buy it.

In terms of XP x64 you'll have two worries. You'll need totally new drivers (not hard to find if you have major manufactuer hardware such as ATi, creative, nVIDIA and so on.) and you'll be needing new versions of some of your programs. Annoyingly, you might have to start paying for things. Grisoft, the makers of AVG don't support 64bit in AVG Free... meaning you'll have to pay for it.

Luckily this should mean cheaper 939 socket processors for those of us already lumbered with older mobos. I only have a 3000+, which is enough for now but I am going to need an upgrade in the not-so-distant-future. Dual Core here I come!

I'm thinking of getting an Athlon 64 FX-64 on an AM2 for my new machine i'm getting in Feb.

What are your system specs atm Jordan? What would you buy if you were upgrading now?

My current system:

Athlon 64 3800+ Newcastle (512kb cache)

2GB DDR400 ram

Asus A8V Motherboard (VIA chipset)

X800 Pro O/C to XTPE

If i was buying now? Hmmm.

Athlon 64 X2 or FX AM2 (definatly)

You have to buy DDR2 ram, DDR normal will not work.

An ASUS board with an nForce chipset

GeForce 7850 GX2 graphics card.

I'm being vauge... because i have no idea. My 3800+ is a damn good machine, its been flawless since i bought it two years ago.

Socket AM2 will be replacing it, i suggest you invest in an AM2 and don't spend something thats going to useless fairly soon after you buy it.

I agree, but isn't the AM2 socket retrocompatible, or am i wrong? I've read it somewhere.

There is no such thing as a 64 bit mobo, its all down to the cpu. AM2 has already replaced 939. If cost is your concern ignore AM2, yes it is obviously more future proof, but the performance is very negligble, even with top hardware.

Hmm today I decided that I will get an intel for my next PC. I mean the fx-62 costs somewhere between 700-800€ and an intel one that is only slightly slower (or in some cases slightly faster) goes for 300-350€.

Hmm today I decided that I will get an intel for my next PC. I mean the fx-62 costs somewhere between 700-800€ and an intel one that is only slightly slower (or in some cases slightly faster) goes for 300-350€.

Aye, also bearing in ming that the conroe chips are very overclockable, giving even more value for money choice.

My current system:

Athlon 64 3800+ Newcastle (512kb cache)

2GB DDR400 ram

Asus A8V Motherboard (VIA chipset)

X800 Pro O/C to XTPE

If i was buying now? Hmmm.

Athlon 64 X2 or FX AM2 (definatly)

You have to buy DDR2 ram, DDR normal will not work.

An ASUS board with an nForce chipset

GeForce 7850 GX2 graphics card.

I'm being vauge... because i have no idea. My 3800+ is a damn good machine, its been flawless since i bought it two years ago.

Thanks everyone for your input, so would this meet your needs Jordan?

This Mobo looks sweet as far as I'm concerned.

This CPU however, I can't afford that, so maybe for the future, and for now this.

Looks good to me, very good board also.

I'd love that other CPU XD.

Yeah, that seems like a pretty quick little machine. Stick a couple of gigs of ram in there and a decent graphics card and you're gunna have one hell of a machine.

I think I'll definately go with that mobo, seem's nice and future proof even tho it is quite expensive, my last one cost £45 but that is probably why 2 years later it's useless!

Time to find a good PSU now, lol!

EDIT:

UPDATE - For those of you that are interested, I bought this board. It is different to the one I talked about before as it has the nForce 590 chipset instead of the 570, so it does x16 SLi should I ever want it, the other board only did x8 SLi. It also has some other little extras like wifi which I probably wont ever use!

I reccomend Antec, Seasonic, or Enermax for pwr Supply.

Thats a nice price on the 3800 AM2 CPU.

Not sure why you want to use the 64 bit function with windows unless you want to use more than 4 gigs of RAM. Performce in games especially is a bit...well...less than in most cases.

My orginal 2.2 ghz 754 AMD64 system run a 32bit XP and a 64 bit linux.

Well my original reason for upgrading was because I needed data integrity for my final year at university, don't want to loose my final year project, so I wanted a motherboard that did RAID 1. However, I might as well get upto date at the same time so I have got a motherboard that is pretty future proof and I'm going to get a 64bit processor, I will probably run the Vista Beta 2 x64 that I have got, but I haven't decided yet.

I already have an enermax psu, they are great, I think I'm going to get this one (my current psu isn't ATX ver 2.0 compatible).

Sign in to follow this