NEurope
Cheapshot

The Best Gaming Music Ever.

So I was checking out the Tekken music that was added to Smash Ultimate...

...and this is the best song by a long shot!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Aperson said:

So I was checking out the Tekken music that was added to Smash Ultimate...

...and this is the best song by a long shot!

It's not quite as amazing as High School Love, but it's not a bad substitute!

Very good candidate for the BGM of the inevitable Smash highlight reel this Thursday.

Several weeks after playing Nights into Dreams, this particular track is still on my mind, and I still listen to it regularly. It's quite something... it makes me oddly nostalgic for the whims of childhood, even though I only first heard this track recently. Sometimes, music just works in mysterious ways.

Edited by Jonnas
  • Like 2

Mentioned this in the ME thread, but I adore this from the opening of ME3

Seeing as opening songs were mentioned. I have a very specific question I've been meaning to ask.

What's your favourite "First Level" song?

Now when I say "First Level", I really mean the song that plays the moment you first get control of the playable character in usual gameplay.

So take Super Mario World, for example. I'm not thinking of the Title Theme, that short ditty that plays as that single text box explains the plot, or the music that plays while you select a level to play. I'm talking about the music that plays when you finally get to move Mario towards the end of a level.

The game doesn't necessarily have to be split into levels, by the way.

And with that in mind, the one I think about the most is from the least good Pokémon Mystery Dungeon game, Gates to Infinity.

Because even the black sheep of this spin-off series has better music then 90% of other games!

• Thanks 3

Not this version but it's the only official upload I could find.

It's in here too though, a good excuse to repost.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

What's your favourite "First Level" song?

I might come back with a better answer (I now find myself looking up the start of some walkthroughs to hear what's playing when you first gain control in some of my favourite games :p), but what immediately came to mind was:

Immediately gets you in the mood for raiding Palaces and some Phantom Thievery! 

Edited by Julius
  • Thanks 1

and

spring to mind

EDIT:

Oh and...

Turns out 3D Mario games have great music, who'd have thought.

Edited by Ronnie

5 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

and

spring to mind

Good Egg Galaxy is not the first instance when you control Mario though.

That would be that festival music. And if you don't count that, there's that level where you get the first Grand Star (Underrated song, that) or the Comet Observatory.

You actually have to go through quite a bit before you get to the first star.

"Escape From The City" is an excellent choice, @Ike.

Edited by Glen-i

:indeed:

Fine. Bonneton from Odyssey or Super Bell Hill from 3D World.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

:indeed:

Yes it's fussy as all hell, but I did say it was "very specific"

You'd be amazed at how many well known songs don't actually fall into that criteria. It's not as clear cut as you'd expect.

Edited by Glen-i

I would imagine Bob-omb Battlefield wouldn't count either. But I second Super Bell Hill (as well as Overworld from 3D Land) being among the best when it comes to Mario.

From me, I'll pick two from a different genre:

This one's very nostalgic, but also very soothing. Perfect for a tutorial, and to endear yourself to Lyn's journey.

Just to show the series hasn't slowed down, Three Houses has a fantastic piece. I spent almost an hour on that first map just exploring the menus, and the music never got old.

I'm sure I could find several more good tracks for this, but it would be hard to pick just a handful. So I'll just say that every single Castlevania would probably qualify really well for the question. That series has a stellar record with 1st level themes.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Tine to swoop in and claim this before Anyone else thinks of it.

Golden Sun Lost age <3 You start off at Venus lighthouse. ( If you don't know these games they are amazing <3 )

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Depending on what you count, Spiral Mountain

Or Mumbo's Mountain

But I feel that using Banjo-Kazooie is cheating.

On another note, I'm currently playing Jet Force Gemini and the music is outstanding in it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I'm gonna go with Actraiser...

Pretty dang hard to top Fillmore! So iconic a soundtrack that it caused Nobou Uematsu to rescore the entierty of FF4 in response!

Here's the symphonic version as well for good measure :D 

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 3

Some fine choices here. Appreciate the varied response from you lot.

But now, the twist!

There's certainly merit in hearing some suggestions from people here. But to make things interesting, I want you all to vote for a song that you didn't pick

I'll take the first song that each person posted and list it below! (Because let's face it, the first one you posted is your subconscious secretly telling you your fave.)

Ragged Mountain (Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity) @Glen-i

Escape From The City (Sonic Adventure 2) @Ike

Life Will Change (Persona 5) @Julius

Super Bell Hill (Super Mario 3D World) @Ronnie

Winds Across The Plains (Fire Emblem) @Jonnas

Venus Lighthouse (Golden Sun: The Lost Age) @Ugh first aid

Spiral Mountain (Banjo-Kazooie) @Cube

Filmore (Actraiser) @Dcubed

I put some mentions next to each song to indicate who suggested what. You get one vote, so take some time to listen to each song (Especially those you're unfamiliar with), and post your choice.

BTW, if you're not one of the above mentioned, feel free to give a vote anyway. At least you get full pick of what you want here.

Edited by Glen-i

I think @Ugh first aid is gonna end up getting my vote based on a pure technicality... Goddammit that's a bloody clever choice! 

I love Venus Lighthouse :D 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

One of the better final fantasy soundtracks in my oppinion. Probably because i played this one alot more than the others.

Venus Lighthouse is excellent, but it is a technicality. Intended more as the last of Golden Sun 1, rather than the first of Golden Sun 2.

As such, I might just vote for Filmore, which endeared me right away. Haven't played ActRaiser, but that track would fit like a glove in any of the good Castlevanias.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

I've been struggling between 3 of those choices, but after sleeping on it, I'm gonna go with Venus Lighthouse.

• Thanks 2

Gosh this is a seriously tough choice... There are so many good sings...But After brewing on this for a little... I think i'm goingto have to go with Fillmore...It's just too good! <3 

• Thanks 2

Yeah, I'm also going to have to go with Fillmore. I haven't played Actraiser, but that track makes me want to check it out -- haven't played any Castlevania games either, but my exposure to their tracks through Smash and some trailers makes me agree with @Jonnas that it has the same vibe as some of those. 

Edited by Julius
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Funny that both @Jonnas and @Julius both made the Castlevania connection with Fillmore, because Yuzo Koshiro DID actually contribute to the soundtrack for Castlevania Portrait of Ruin in 2005! (He composed 5 music tracks; including the main castle theme “Invitation of a Crazed Moon”).

All of Actraiser’s soundtrack is excellent though; one of the absolute best of the SNES era! (And it shaped the OSTs of both FF4 and FF6 to boot!)

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Dcubed said:

Yuzo Koshiro DID actually contribute to the soundtrack for Castlevania Portrait of Ruin in 2005! (He composed 5 music tracks; including the main castle theme “Invitation of a Crazed Moon”).

More importantly, I see he composed Gears go Awry, which is probably the best original track from that game. I hear the resemblance best with that one too, as the intro to both it and Filmore feel similar.

(Also, PoR is late 2006 in JP, early 2007 in EU. Or did you mean the soundtrack was composed in 2005?)