NEurope
Cheapshot

The Best Gaming Music Ever.

I finally finished Pokémon Scarlet. Boy, do I have many things to say about it, but this isn't the thread for it.

What I will say is that while the music doesn't quite hit the heights of Sword/Shield. One track did stick out to me.

Appropriate for today's announcement...

Ichiro Shimakura's soundtrack for this game is hot fire! He would go on to compose the soundtracks for Mario Party 3, 4 and Advance afterwards; then Suikoden V of all things before retiring into a managerial role for other Hudson/NDCube composers.

Bit of a shame, but the few soundtracks he did do are all top shelf! :D

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

Appropriate for today's announcement...

Ichiro Shimakura's soundtrack for this game is hot fire! He would go on to compose the soundtracks for Mario Party 3, 4 and Advance afterwards; then Suikoden V of all things before retiring into a managerial role for other Hudson/NDCube composers.

Bit of a shame, but the few soundtracks he did do are all top shelf! :D

It's funny, the music and general vibe of Pokémon TCG sells the game to me more than the idea of a Pokémon TCG video game does, if that makes any sense. 

Just to clarify, Shimakura seemingly didn't compose for Suikoden V, he "only" served as the music director (the guy who would lead the artists during recording sessions). Not to belittle his work on that OST at all, I'd just never seen his name pop up before when I've listened to the Suikoden OSTs, and after a little digging it seems that's why, so thought I'd share :peace:

Which is a wonderful segue into sharing Suikoden V's opening so y'all can listen to it's great - but very different, compared to the other Suikoden openings! - track:

:p

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Being really careful about which tracks I include here, just focusing on what can be heard in the demo/was released in pre-release materials, but man oh man...Final Fantasy XVI might just be my favourite video game OST of all time, at least when it comes to the bombastic and spectacular tracks accompanying it's boss fights, and it has some fantastic character themes to boot, too. So without further ado...

And the ones I'll throw in spoilers... (some boss spoilers, so beware)

Spoiler

The Bahamut fight alone is worth the price of admission. Greatest boss fight spectacle of the modern era imho

(this one feels so DQ, and Elwin's Theme even more so...definitely helped by the fact that Elwin is voiced by one of DQ XI's many best lads, Hendrik!)

Oh, also, shout-out to the credits theme. Feels so MGS2 credits! 

GAH, LOVE THIS OST

I love how much XVI harkens back to old FF OSTs, but also feels so fresh and new with the weird places it goes to with some of its tracks. It's fantastic. Throw in a track or two that sound like they're from Dragon Quest, and another track or two that sound like they're from Xenoblade? I seriously think it's up there for me as one of the best gaming OSTs in a hot minute. Missed so many tracks too, but I'll come back to them! 

And also I will riot if it doesn't win awards for its music! :laughing:

Edited by Julius

1 hour ago, Julius said:

And also I will riot if it doesn't win awards for its music! 

Oh, it will. It's a triple Aaaaaay game on PlayStation that's not a traditional style RPG.

Basically, it's not Xenoblade 3, so it's got Soundtrack awards in the bag.

Yes, I'm still annoyed Xeno 3 got completely snubbed for soundtrack. In favour of GoW: Ragnarok of all things!

• Haha 1

I'm writing up the last post for the Pokémon spin-off thread and I booted up the game to get some pics, and am suddenly reminded of the amazing job they did with the soundtrack!

The glow up is insane!

• Like 1

Shin Megami Tensei V is a soundtrack full of unorthodox and unsettling music.

Until it decides it wants to be a rave!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So it just dawned on me that I don't think I ever posted music from Pokémon Super Mystery Dungeon in this thread.

What's wrong with me!? This must be fixed!

Spoiler

This next one is notable, purely because it can be best described as.

Didgeridoo and Violin! Together at last!

It has no right being so good, but it is!

This next one has a long buildup, but the payoff is so good!

If that one above doesn't convince that this is a good soundtrack, then I don't know what will.

The soundtrack is 128 songs long! And I just posted a selection of dungeon music.

Absolutely scandalous that none of it got into Smash!

7 hours ago, Glen-i said:

Didgeridoo and Violin! Together at last!

It has no right being so good, but it is!

I legitimately can't think of any other music that mixes Australian digeridoo, an Irish jig and a fucking Scottish bagpipe creshendo into a single song, but... it works!

SPKMD has to have one of the most eclectic soundtracks of any game I've played (right up there with Paper Mario: The Origami King) and it's bloody brilliant! :D

Edited by Dcubed

Kara Comparetto over on YouTube has released a complete performance of the entire Chrono Trigger OST, on piano, harpsichord and organ:

Simply wonderful :peace:

• Like 3

Bravely Default music was added to Theatrhythm this week, and yes, it's very excellent.

Unfortunately, Bravely Second got absolutely nothing! That soundtrack gets a bum rap purely because it's not the same composer as the other games.

If I were in charge, I would've done a second Bravely pack, with these four songs.

That last one, in all honesty, would probably have to be cut in half. Ain't nobody playing through an 8 minute song!

For me my favourite gaming soundtracks are:

Grandia

Just the opening cinematic score alone gave me the impression this was going to be a memorable game with animation playing alongside it.

Final Fantasy XIV

Soken has made the music for this mmo better and better each expansion in the 10 years i have been playing this game.   

One of my favourite games to learn piano arrangements of for playing the music in this game.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/12/2023 at 1:37 PM, Gadwin said:

Final Fantasy XIV

Soken has made the music for this mmo better and better each expansion in the 10 years i have been playing this game. 

This really can't be overstated. There's well over 30 songs from FF XIV in Theatrhythm: Final Bar Line, and I was absolutely staggered when I went to the Music Player and noticed that he composed all of them!

He has mad musical range! Crazy talent!

Edited by Glen-i
  • Thanks 1

Anyone here played Pizza Tower? You should, the game's amazing!

If certain bits of that song remind you of Wario Land 4, that's not an accident. The whole game is like that!

• Thanks 1

I am so crying at the end of Rebirth, aren't I? 

Been listening to the No Promises to Keep performance at the TGAs earlier this month a whole lot, song hits like a freaking freight train to the ol' blood-pumper. Uematsu finally giving VII a vocal, FMV-worthy love track akin to what VIII and IX got is so awesome, and Loren Allred's voice is simply divine :bowdown: love how the lyrics play off of Hollow from Remake, too! 

Just over two months to go. Will be shocked if Rebirth doesn't end next year as my favourite OST of 2024! 

I've never played this game but I love its soundtrack. I think I've listened to this particular track about 30 times already

• Like 1