NEurope
Cheapshot

The Best Gaming Music Ever.

7 minutes ago, Jonnas said:

Curiously, the button prompts show the Playstation D-pad when the game isn't planned to be coming out to that system... Development shenanigans?

I thought the same thing, but as it turns out, the Steam version has official support for the PS4/PS5 controllers; with full Playstation buttons showing when you connect those controllers.  So most likely it just means that they couldn't be bothered to make another d-pad HUD icon for Xbox controller users.

I'm looking forward to hearing the full soundtracks later, at any rate. Is it true that Nobuo Uematsu is directly involved with these re-orchestrations?

Supposedly they were done with his direct supervision, like what happened with FF1 & 2 Origins on Wonderswan/PS1/GBA.

Edited by Dcubed
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dcubed said:

Well here's a shocker... The Final Fantasy Pixel Remasters are NOT just reusing the PS1/GBA/DS arrangements of the soundtracks and actually have brand new arrangements that... actually sound really good!

GiantAridGypsymoth-size_restricted.gif

Started watching the first one and thought it looked really nice - the music does sound lovely - and then that font came in. Really hope they change it for if/when this comes to consoles, because like with the Dragon Quest I - III versions on Switch, I just find it really distracting how the font isn't suitable for these games and takes up such little screen space. 

9 hours ago, Julius said:

Started watching the first one and thought it looked really nice - the music does sound lovely - and then that font came in.

Funnily enough, someone has already modded a more legible font for the Steam version.

FF_PR_FontComparison.png

Massive improvement.

• Like 2

Normally when I'm playing a game I tend to flood this thread with all my favourite tunes from said game.

But in this case I'm finding a situation that whenever I'm playing a new level the soundtrack is an instant classic so... I'm just going to post a link to the entire OST here...

Surprisingly Grand Kirkhope only did one theme and David Wise barely did half of it with two new composers accounting for much of the tunes.

• Like 1

I was going through all of KK Sliders songs in Animal crossing and heard this again, which is easily one of my favorites:

Which then led me to this fantastic cover/remix of it:

The Skyward Sword soundtrack is FINALLY getting an official release on CD! (As a five disc set!)

Only took an entire decade, but they finally got there! :D 

Deltarune Chapter 2 is out now.

No, I haven't played it yet, but I have been listening to the soundtrack from Chapter 1. You can't deny Toby Fox has some great composing chops! There's a reason Smash Bros and Pokémon got him to write a song for them!

And the best song has to be the following.

And a different take on that.

Speaking of which... Wario Ware: Get it Together has a banging soundtrack!

Looking at the credits, about half of its composers (Yoshito Sekigawa, Shoh Murakami and Yoshiaki Kimura) were also lead composers on Paper Mario: The Origami King.  So that explains why it's so good! :D 

Just the title screen music alone cracks me up every single time I hear it :laughing:

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 2

I recently came across this recent gem of a battle theme:

Motoi Sakuraba has been accused of phoning it in for Tales games for a while now (by myself included), but it sounds like he may have gotten a bit more creative freedom with Arise. It's been a long time since I heard him go so wild on those violins, these are some serious Baten Kaitos vibes I'm getting.

• Thanks 1

You're damn right I'm posting the Smash selection of Kingdom Hearts songs here!

I've got some criticisms here. The complete absence of any remixes and the heavy focus on the first game (No doubt Disney had a hand in that). But even with that in mind, it's a solid selection! Night of Fate is the only real dud, I'd say, the rest of the songs range from "pretty decent" to "Holy crap, Destati! Calm the eff down!" A good mix of upbeat, somber, and epic going on here.

Dearly Beloved: Swing Edition is also a fave of mine, pity about it being locked behind owning Melody of Memory. Maybe you could get around it by having save data from the demo instead.

• Thanks 1

I would have loved to have seen tracks from all across the series too (I don't really like Destiny's Force that much as a tune personally, it never really stood out to me although I understand that it's in there for how often it gets played), but from what they chose, Hand in Hand, Gummi Ship, Hollow Bastion, Scherzo Di Notte, Fragments of Sorrow and Destati are my favourites.

Would have loved to see stuff like Tension Rising, Darkness of the Unknown, Lock, Load and Blast, L'Imperto Oscuro, Untamable, The Tumbling and Hunter of the Dark in the game. Actually there's a lot more but I figure if they're tied to Disney worlds specifically there would be issues. I like a lot more of the battle themes in Kingdom Hearts II than ! but at least they put my favourite rendition of Hollow Bastion in the game.

I have a favour to ask of the music experts in this thread. My wife and I have just had very premature twins, and while we’re in the hospital I’ve been putting together an audio track to play in their incubators. At the moment it’s made up of some of the family speaking, and some classical music - but I’d love to put some gaming music in there. It has to be fairly low frequency (as it being played over a ‘womb sounds’ track), and also chill/calming (obviously). So nothing from Shadow the Hedgehog. 

Any recommendations?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LazyBoy said:

I have a favour to ask of the music experts in this thread. My wife and I have just had very premature twins, and while we’re in the hospital I’ve been putting together an audio track to play in their incubators. At the moment it’s made up of some of the family speaking, and some classical music - but I’d love to put some gaming music in there. It has to be fairly low frequency (as it being played over a ‘womb sounds’ track), and also chill/calming (obviously). So nothing from Shadow the Hedgehog. 

Any recommendations?

Maybe Zora’s Domain from BotW?

Night version is a bit calmer.

Breath of the Wild had quite a lot of chilled music.

Some Animal Crossing night time music would be good too.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Zoras domain was a great call, and its gone straight on there. Animal Crossing is harder work because youtube is just all compilations, but I'll spend some time going through the KK tracks.

They have individual tracks if you search for a specific time. 

Not sure if these are too energetic still but how about

• Like 1

Hope you're all doing well @LazyBoy:smile:

I feel bad suggesting tracks from games I haven't played...but I have way too much time on my hands at work that video game music compilations help me keep my sanity. Which means a whole lot of Nintendo games I have yet to play, and the game I haven't played but instantly came to mind for this has to be Mario Galaxy. There's a calmness to the music that is pretty much perfect for this I think! 

(to be honest, any of the Comet Observatory variations will probably be suitable, but it's hard to not love 3)

And you kind of need Aquatic Ambience I think...

Then for some games I have played...

Will definitely add some more as I think of them, but hopefully that'll be a good start! 

EDIT:

Edited by Julius

@Julius@Ike Thank you so much guys, really appreciate it. Some fantastic ones in there - special shoutout to Astral Observatory Ike, which I would have never remembered, and same for Dire Dire docks Julius, which would have been criminla to leave out. Award goes to the Dali theme though - would never have thought of that.

Going to pick through the Journey ost now and pick some out. The track is coming together nicely

• Like 1

I have a full playlist of Relaxing game music that I use to help with anxiety issues. May I recommend Satorl Marsh from Xenoblade Chronicles? Auto include in any type of this playlist

OK, now I've heard the entire Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair soundtrack in game I can certainly say that this is now one of my favourite game soundtracks of all time and definitely one of the best indie game soundtracks I've ever heard, and thats high praise as EVERY indie game I've played aside from World of Goo has had a fantastic soundtrack.

This one single handedly contributed about TWENTY ONE tunes to my favourite VGM playlist alone.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I present to you... Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity, or as I like to call it, "How to take BotW's soundtrack and just style all over it!"

Not convinced already? Fine!

This is boss music... from Chapter 2. It is better then any song in BotW.

Oh, did I mention it's interactive? It shifts to this when you're halfway done!

There's even another version when you nail a particularly damaging hit! In fact, almost every song that happens during gameplay has at least three different variations! But let's carry on.

Here's some of that "Zelda just got silly" fight music that BotW was sorely lacking.

Spoiler

It's the perfect song for getting your butt handed to you by Great Fairies!

Anyway, I'll end this post with part of the final boss song. Featuring that music from that BotW trailer that wasn't actually in the game at all.

In conclusion, when I say I don't like BotW's soundtrack, it's not because I think it's objectively bad, it's because there's greatness in there, but it's not allowed to really shine because it's too minimalistic. Age of Calamity proves that, without a doubt.

Anyway, the latest DLC actually has new songs. So I'm looking forward to hearing that!

Edited by Glen-i
  • Thanks 1

Naturally, I'm currently in a state of getting hyped for inevitably being left somewhat disappointed by the Diamond & Pearl remakes. Which means listening to the official soundtrack a bunch, and a lot of covers too, the main one I'm excited about this time being Sengoku Game Music Brass' wind orchestra Gen IV medley:

They have a few other great Pokémon medleys for Gen II and Gen V, as well as a variety for other non-Pokémon games too. 

So easy to forget just how awesome that Platinum Frontier Brain theme is...and now I'm a bit nervous it won't be in as Palmer's theme in the game (I think he used Cynthia's in D&P?) :D

I keep saying every time that I play a new indie game that the soundtrack is consistently excellent.With my current game Rivals of Aether I wouldn't necessarily rate the soundtrack as high as some of the others (Impossible Lair being my favourite OST of any of these games) these Rivals tunes are really good.

Starting off with the fighter select tunes which are just as memorable as Smash Bros!

The stage themes aren't too bad either.

I do recommend this game but only if you're playing on PC so that you can play with Mods. Then again Fraymakers is a thing and its mod support might be available on Switch if it comes to the Switch so you might rather wait until then, I don't know how many people here actually use Steam after all...

You know what I like in a battle theme? One woman wailing along with it.
I'm not thinking of choirs, those are all over the place. No, one singular woman belting her lungs out really hammers the "Epic" in.

Case in point, Octopath Traveler's brutally difficult optional final boss.

And then there's Bravely Default II, with it's woman of impeccable vocal chords!

Just when you think she can't belt out a higher pitched note, she does just that!

Anyone else got some examples?

• Thanks 1

5 minute orchestra performance of some of the Pokémon Diamond/Pearl soundtrack released on the TPC YouTube channel. Get in here, @Julius EDIT: OK, can't seem to embed it. Here's a link.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Thanks 2