NEurope
Cheapshot

The Best Gaming Music Ever.

7 hours ago, Jonnas said:

7 hours ago, Jonnas said:

(Also, PoR is late 2006 in JP, early 2007 in EU. Or did you mean the soundtrack was composed in 2005?)

Nope, that was a straight gaff on my part :p 

Speaking of Roguelikes, I'm surprised @Dcubed hasn't posted this yet.

That sax at 2:22 is great!

Edited by Glen-i
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Glen-i said:

Speaking of Roguelikes, I'm surprised @Dcubed hasn't posted this yet.

That sax at 2:22 is great!

I haven’t posted it because I’m too busy playing the game where that music comes from lol!

And yes, the whole soundtrack is HOT FIRE! :D 

Gotta be honest, I don't always jive with the most well known music tracks in King of Fighters, so I've been a tad lukewarm with the tracks revealed for KOF XV so far (especially since Saxophone Under the Moonlight doesn't seem to have made it). I expected the same lukewarmth for the Art of Fighting team (it's usually some intense Karate leitmotif, not really my style), but then SNK shatters my expectations and reveals that best character King is part of that team this time around, and this is reflected on their track...

Yeah, that's the jazz I've been waiting for. As if we needed more reasons as to why King's the best.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So in case anyone isn't aware, they're playing a bunch of video game music in the Olympics opening ceremony right now. Here's the full list

E6-tP1lVkAAk6Ba.png

• Thanks 2

Yeah I just caught that, lovely surprise! I switched it on and thought... wait a fucking moment! THAT'S ROBO'S THEME THEY'RE PLAYING!!!!!

That being said? Very strange that Nintendo are a complete no-show here for the opening ceremony... Considering how much they pushed to associate themselves with the Tokyo Olympics when it was first announced (I mean, they got President Abe to come out of a fucking Warp Pipe in a Mario costume FFS!), and with how much they've pushed to get Super Nintendo World open alongside the Tokyo Olympics? Their silence here is absolutely deafening!

I wonder if Nintendo pulled out from the games completely after the controversy started regarding them opening the games up in the face of a worsening situation regarding COVID in Japan?

1 minute ago, Dcubed said:

Yeah I just caught that, lovely surprise! I switched it on and thought... wait a fucking moment! THAT'S ROBO'S THEME THEY'RE PLAYING!!!!!

That being said? Very strange that Nintendo are a complete no-show here for the opening ceremony... Considering how much they pushed to associate themselves with the Tokyo Olympics when it was first announced (I mean, they got President Abe to come out of a fucking Warp Pipe in a Mario costume FFS!), and with how much they've pushed to get Super Nintendo World open alongside the Tokyo Olympics? Their silence here is absolutely deafening!

I wonder if Nintendo pulled out from the games completely after the controversy started regarding them opening the games up in the face of a worsening situation regarding COVID in Japan?

There's been a lot of bad organisation on the part of the Olympics. The director of the opening ceremony got fired just a day before the ceremony started and multiple others have been sacked. Nintendo probably didn't want to associate themselves with such a badly organised event.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Aperson said:

So in case anyone isn't aware, they're playing a bunch of video game music in the Olympics opening ceremony right now. Here's the full list

E6-tP1lVkAAk6Ba.png

Tuned in just in time to hear FF's Victory Theme. Seems like such an obvious thing to do in retrospect, it's pretty awesome! 

Crazy that they didn't use the main DQ theme though? Because that thing basically is a national anthem. 

Anyone else hoping for battle music during the events? Maybe some anime opening music just before they start to build some hype? :p

5 minutes ago, Julius said:

Tuned in just in time to hear FF's Victory Theme. Seems like such an obvious thing to do in retrospect, it's pretty awesome! 

Crazy that they didn't use the main DQ theme though? Because that thing basically is a national anthem. 

Anyone else hoping for battle music during the events? Maybe some anime opening music just before they start to build some hype? :p

It WAS the main Dragon Quest theme though. I've only heard it once in the loop so far but they started the entire show with the tune and then went into the main theme.

They should definitely play Soulcalibur music during the fencing events though!

Edited by Aperson

5 minutes ago, Aperson said:

It WAS the main Dragon Quest theme though. I've only heard it once in the loop so far but they started the entire show with the tune and then went into the main theme.

Yeah my bad, I didn't hear the start (I've gone back to it now) and since I got into those games I've only seen it referred to as the Main Theme and never Erdrick's Theme, hence my confusion :smile: which is good because obviously it needed to be here! 

Agree with @Dcubed that it's a bit bizarre that there's no Nintendo music though. I can't remember, when Abe came out as Mario, was there any Mario music playing? I wonder if it's some super weird music agreement, or maybe a concern of their music getting flagged or something? 

They should definitely play Soulcalibur music during the fencing events though!

And we absolutely need the squatting music from VII Remake during some powerlifting! 

Edited by Julius
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Aperson said:

There's been a lot of bad organisation on the part of the Olympics. The director of the opening ceremony got fired just a day before the ceremony started and multiple others have been sacked. Nintendo probably didn't want to associate themselves with such a badly organised event.

Don't crush my dreams, there's still time for the host nation to come out to Jump Up Superstar

30 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Don't crush my dreams, there's still time for the host nation to come out to Jump Up Superstar

They came out to Proof of a Hero.

The whole thing ended with the Dragon Quest theme.

27 minutes ago, Aperson said:

The whole thing ended with the Dragon Quest theme.

I've just realised that the walking human garbage that is Sugiyama would've had the say in the Dragon Quest Main Theme being used here, as if I'm remembering right he owns the rights. It's a big part of why some Dragon Quest XI reviews were so weird. 

So on the one hand Nintendo isn't showing up for some nebulous reason, and then on the other we've got the Main Theme composed by a history revisionist and anti-LBTQ+ supporter belting out to start and end this thing.

It's funny because even though Dragon Quest has some good music and some individually very memorable tracks, I wouldn't say it's a strength of the games like it is Final Fantasy.  And I think the only thing that's got it through the doors here in the first place is just how big the series and Sugiyama are in Japan, because it's not exactly a very good public-facing image otherwise having his music here. 

Edited by Julius

I'm currently playing Kameo: Elements of Power and the soundtrack is amazing

• Thanks 1

I caught a bit of the opening ceremony at lunch today, and I thought for sure I heard Star Light Zone! That's amazing!

I'm surprised to see Chrono Trigger music on the list, of all games, I didn't think that one was iconic in Japan. Also surprised to see Soul Calibur and the Tales series, but I figure the themes they used must've been appropriately grandiose and orchestral (Soul Calibur music fits the Olympics like a glove, for sure), hence the choice.

I caught a bit of the opening ceremony at lunch today, and I thought for sure I heard Star Light Zone! That's amazing!

I thought that too! Shame the BBC commentator didn’t recognise it... “1970s easy listening videogame”???

• Haha 3

The only one I recognised was the main Dragon Quest theme, I've obviously spent too much of my time just playing Nintendo games

2 hours ago, killthenet said:

The only one I recognised was the main Dragon Quest theme, I've obviously spent too much of my time just playing Nintendo games

Here is a person who needs to play Chrono Trigger!

• Thanks 1

TACO TACO BEAT TACO SMASH ON MY FACE

TACO BEAT BEAT SMACK-A MY FACE

• Haha 1

Looks like I was right...

https://bunshun.jp/denshiban/articles/b1436

Nintendo DID bail on the Olympics opening ceremony.  We were supposed to get an appearance from none other than Shigsy himself, alongside Zelda, Kirby, Mario & Pokemon music.

Edited by Dcubed
  • Sad 2

27 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

Looks like I was right...

https://bunshun.jp/denshiban/articles/b1436

Nintendo DID bail on the Olympics opening ceremony.  We were supposed to get an appearance from none other than Shigsy himself, alongside Zelda, Kirby, Mario & Pokemon music.

Actually, thinking back on it, that "Pokémon at the Olympics" thing never really went anywhere after the first few pictures.

In hindsight, that probably was a sign that Ninty pulled out.

I don't think I'll ever bring myself to play it, but Alex Moukala's coverage of Genshin Impact has put it's OST firmly back on my radar. 

Azhdaha's Battle Theme, which he covers in the first video, is S-tier. The entire introduction in first phase is this menacing build-up and the second phase - that freaking erhu followed by the electric guitar! - is absolutely awesome. 

Time to give down the rabbit hole and see what the rest of Yu-Peng Chen's work on the game is like! :D

Well here's a shocker... The Final Fantasy Pixel Remasters are NOT just reusing the PS1/GBA/DS arrangements of the soundtracks and actually have brand new arrangements that... actually sound really good!

• Thanks 2

Curiously, the button prompts show the Playstation D-pad when the game isn't planned to be coming out to that system... Development shenanigans?

I'm looking forward to hearing the full soundtracks later, at any rate. Is it true that Nobuo Uematsu is directly involved with these re-orchestrations?