NEurope
Cheapshot

The Best Gaming Music Ever.

i really liked them little tunes on the zx spectrum like rick dangerous, manic miner, dizzy,

10 hours ago, GenericAperson said:

Not seen many people talking about this tune yet...

Really great tune this.

Hmmm... Not too keen on that one. This is more my jam.

Fair enough. My opinion is quite the opposite, I'm not so keen on the regular battle theme but all in for the Fogbeast one even if it takes a while to really get going.

I've found myself going back to the Outer Wilds soundtrack a lot in recent months and just a few weeks back  Andrew Prahlow, the game's composer, did a live performance of a new track for the game to start of the first Day of the Devs stream back in June and I've been listening to it so much because its just a beautiful composition that fits so well with what he'd already done on that game.

Every time I listen, I wish so much that I could play the game from scratch with a completely fresh mind, none of the memories of having done it all before because it really is a fantastic game. I do envy people who get to play it for the first time and especially those who stick with it to the end.

• Like 1

Doing a lot of pretty monotonous spreadsheet processing for work at the moment, so been listening to a mix of film scores (a lot of Morricone after his recent passing) and game scores.

This stands out:

This Final Fantasy VI medley arrangement by Roger Wanamo, performed by the Royal Philharmonic, is absolutely fantastic :bowdown:

• Like 1

While doing some nerdy Pokémon talk on another thread, I was reminded of this particular remix from Pokémon Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire.

I give a lot of slack to this particular remake, but I definitely cannot fault the music.

• Like 1

Playing through Timesplitters Future Perfect and while the game has a perfectly respectable soundtrack... it just reminds me how how good Timesplitters 2's soundtrack is:

^The background music for this one has some similarities to Prime Hunters' menu theme.

And of course, cannot do this list without the game's most iconic theme:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Been listening to a lot of gaming music at work (still doing a lot of manual work at the moment, a whole lot of spreadsheets, woo). Last few days has been listening to everything I can on lara6683's channel, she's insanely talented! 

Favourites were Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy Compilations, but there's so much more which is well worth checking out! 

And in case you needed any more evidence of her talent, there's this insane offhand medley from a while back she did melding together game, TV, and film music - all suggested to her by her Twitch chat - which actually went on for a total of around 2 hours on Twitch from what I've read elsewhere!

Insane :bowdown: always a big fan of people just showcasing their passion, hard work, and talent for others to enjoy!

Edited by Julius
  • Like 1

I can never find this thread - realised it's because my mind skips over pinned topics. 

Anyway, came across this song on Spotify. Never played the game, but it's a great track:

• Like 1

On 20/09/2020 at 1:25 AM, Helmsly said:

hahaha no way. given its just come out on the switch snes online I was coming here to post just this myself! And the one that got me more into it(but the original is better tho I don't know if I've ever heard it properly in game);

• Like 2

Smash's rendition of Stickerbush Symphony is really underrated. It's an interesting take on a great piece of music that, let's face it, would not have fit Smash Bros very well if it went with the original's style. Is it better? Probably not. But it's a cool tune to fight to.

However, since then, Ultimate has given us a DKC 2 remix that I think improves upon the original.

That sneaky little snippet from the title screen song is just the icing on the cake. (BTW, the title screen theme for DKC 2 is called "K.Rool Returns", nice touch there. Even more appropriate when you remember that K.Rool has been missing from gaming for 10 years before Smash Ultimate.)

Edited by Glen-i
  • Like 2

Yeah Stickerbush Symphony is probably my all time favorite track from a video game. I'm glad to see its liked by you guys too! There are quite a few fan remixes that I like, here's two of my favourites:

• Like 1

On 25/09/2020 at 7:45 AM, Helmsly said:

Yeah Stickerbush Symphony is probably my all time favorite track from a video game. I'm glad to see its liked by you guys too! There are quite a few fan remixes that I like, here's two of my favourites:

Haha yeah the other night I ended up with just hours longs of remixes chilling in the backgrounded as I BoF2'd away 😁

I find it amazing to think about how theh composed brilliant beautiful complexity on audio chips with such limited channels and stuff. In fact I have come to ask - does anyone know of any good documentaries or vids either about legendary names such as Koji Kondo or the challenges and triumphs of making audio on video game chips/consoles in general? Maybe not too much homehacking stuff tho - stories of the past etc. I recall hearing apparently for cross-plat like say Street Fighter the SNES could render 'better' sound than the MegaDrive for example?

• Like 1

I was playing Animal Crossing just now I stopped into Nooks Cranny before closing time to find out it plays different music. I remember previous games did this too but I wasn’t prepared for it how nice and calming it sounds: 

• Thanks 1

On 14/10/2020 at 10:01 PM, Helmsly said:

I was playing Animal Crossing just now I stopped into Nooks Cranny before closing time to find out it plays different music. I remember previous games did this too but I wasn’t prepared for it how nice and calming it sounds: 

Yeah, it's a great track! Very calm but also kind of melancholic? Perfectly captures the experience I imagine we all had as children just slowly nodding off, and trying to fight off the yawns while doing so. 

Really reminds me of some Pixar tracks, the one that plays when Sulley puts Boo to sleep in Monsters Inc. in particular (link should be timestamped)! 

EDIT: found a better example from when he puts her to sleep at the end of the movie. Skip to around 01:57!

Edited by Julius
  • Like 1

Since it's Halloween now (or was) seems like a good time to indulge in some spooky game music

• Like 1

The God of War soundtrack is phenomenal. Incidentally, I decided to download the direct game files and it's sometimes easy to forget the amount of work that goes into a game score. There are 944 tracks, over 13 hours in total. And a lot of that music has to be written so that it flows in and out of many other tracks as it gets stitched together on the fly.

• Like 1

Catching up with Soulcalibur VI's Season 2 content. Though I don't have this Season Pass the new stages for the characters have been made available and that also means brand new music to listen to... including this masterpiece!

Insaneintherainmusic dropped his Sinnoh cover album, Sinnohvation, around Christmas time, and I've been listening to it pretty religiously. I'll link the video playlist here:

It's insanely good, and does an excellent job of recapturing a jazzier and higher fidelity take on the soundscape of Sinnoh. I absolutely love it, it's now probably my joint favourite video game OST cover album alongside Malcolm Robinson's orchestral Chrono Trigger album. 

It's an album filled with great takes, but here are a few of my favourites: 

One of my absolute favourite tracks isn't in the album, Route 225-227, but he's covered it before:

I've also been watching and listening to Alex Moukala quite a bit lately, and he's definitely worth checking out if you want some great mish-mash covers which are a bit more daring and outlandish, where he takes music from one game and tries to fit it into another (or just straight up makes it funky, in the case of One-Winged Angel) and a further breakdown of his music writing process, if you're into that kind of thing (and there's a lot of Final Fantasy, so of course you should check it out). 

Well worth diving down that rabbit hole! He also recreated the Final Fantasy XVI trailer music's choir and rounded it out with some inspiration from Soken's XIV work:

Alright, think I've shared enough greatness for now :p

Edited by Julius