NEurope
Cheapshot

The Best Gaming Music Ever.

I've been playing this since it released on Game Pass the other week and while I love the game (it sits behind Metro Exodus and A Plague Tale: Innocence for my favourite games of the year so far), the soundtrack in particular is just beautiful.

Easily the best music in a game I've heard all year and hopefully is one that isn't ignored when it comes to recognising that at the end of the year by various outlets. And the game itself is just brilliant. This and Void Bastards are my kind of rogue-likes/lites.

• Like 1

Wanted to post some music from an under appreciated Final Fantasy soundtrack. FFXII's soundtrack may not be as memorable as the earlier games but in a different way it's still a good soundtrack with some good music:

Here's some of my favourites:

Final Fantasy XV's music is so good.

This one has some serious Metal Gear Solid/Harry Gregson-Williams vibes. It could very well be music that plays when you get detected in a MGS game. :D It's become one of my favourite video game songs. When the piano kicks in...always gets me hyped. 

• Like 1

So, Terry Bogard was added to Smash with a smorgasbord of songs from a decent variety of SNK titles. Quite a large number of remixes made for Smash as well.

But this particular remix is the shining gem of the bunch for me.

That's some good 80's anime style flair there. And the sax solo is top notch.

From what I've seen, the Psycho Soldier theme is the first video game music to feature vocals. So there's some proper history for you.

• Like 3

I haven't actually played the game yet since.. well a long time, but I already noticed this song in the Smash Direct. Here's the Japanese version:

Edit:

And this should be the original version:

Edit:

I should post the other ones as well I guess.

This version is great.

Edited by Sméagol
  • Like 3

Kudos for recognizing Athena's Theme (of which I first heard the Chinese Remix version from 2002). One of the biggest surprises of the OST, especially since it includes a proper sax.

For me, the other big surprise was the London March remix

I'm kind of addicted to this awesome heavy metal track.

Its only flaw is lacking the cheesy vocals from the '98 version ("SHRED IT! SQUISH IT! MAKE'EM CRY ABOUT IT!"), but it's awesome enough as it is.

• Thanks 1

It's probably already around here somewhere, but I'm bringing it back.

Yes, the whole thing. My favourites are probably Chrono Trigger, Secret of The Forest, Frog's Theme, The Hidden Truth, Robo Gang Johnny, Battle with Magus, Wings That Cross Time, World Revolution, First Festival Of Stars, and To Far Away Times.

Also, a special mention to Magnus Robinson's beautifully assembled remixes of a good chunk of the tracks. The video below is the complete playlist of his Chrono Trigger remixes, and are certainly worthy of a listen!

• Like 3

I'll never understand the flak DmC got. It's the best Devil May Cry there is. And Lilith's Nightclub is the best level in the entire franchise.

How can you not love the soundtrack to Pokémon Ruby & Sapphire? Moreover, how could you not fall totally in love this medley? Some of those transitions are heavenly!

Gives me a real hankering for simpler times. The music in those games were something else. Probably on par with Diamond & Pearl for my favourite core series soundtrack. 

• Thanks 1

See, I like those soundtracks and I would've agreed that they were amongst the best back when Sun/Moon came out.

But Sword/Shield are a step above in my opinion. That soundtrack is so experimental and it works so well. I didn't know I needed rave Gym Leader music in my life, but I did.

• Like 1

What happens when you take a great soundtrack that was limited by the GBA sound chip and add a little bit of 2020 instrumentations to it.

Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Rescue Team DX, that's what!

Spoiler

Not to mention, my favourite song from the original.

And just to round it off, a 6 and a half minute medley from Gates to Inifnity that's used in one of the optional dungeons.

The only negative I can think of that above song is it doesn't have my favourite Gates song, Holehills.

It's also not the first time a PMD game has done an unneccessarily long medley...

OK, that's enough. Moral of this post is that PMD soundtracks are better than whatever your favourite Pokémon soundtrack is.

• Thanks 1

So I've been listening to this on a loop for like the last two months.

It's beautiful. Some really nice transitions and crossovers, too!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Been listening to all the Metal Gear Solid OSTs lately.

Donna Burke is a treasure. Her voice gives me the chills every single time.

Ah...someday I will play through the entire series again. :)

I finally got hourly music in Animal crossing the other day and the 5pm is my favorite that I've heard so far:

12pm is also pretty great too:

Edited by Helmsly
  • Like 1

@Helmsly totally there with you on 5PM, it's delightful. Was playing the other day and it kicked in, it's got such a swagger to it, and I absolutely love that sax! 

For anyone interested, insaneintherainmusic (see Jazz Medley above) released a jazz cover of 5PM just the other day :D

Edited by Julius
  • Thanks 1

Had no idea where to put this, so I'll just stick it here. It's music related. Don't @ me. 

@Glen-i I know you have a soft spot for these games like I do, and I think this video about the main musical themes in the PMD Explorers games would be straight up your alley! :smile: at the very least, these soundtracks are finally starting to get the recognition they deserve! 

Edited by Julius
  • Like 1

Final Fantasy VII Remake, a game with an epic orchestral dynamic rendition of a classic video game soundtrack.

What is my favourite tune in this game so far?

Spoiler

Been listening to the DOOM (2016) OST a lot these days. Decided to check out more from Mick Gordon and came across one of the DOOM Eternal tracks:

:cool:

Will definitely play this game sometime in the future :D

Finished the main plot of Xenoblade: Definitive edition yesterday.

For the most part, a lot of the arranged soundtrack isn't that different. Which is fine. Xenoblade has a stellar soundtrack, but the final boss arrangement is an outlier in that regard, definitely noticed the change there and I love it!

The title of the song is a big honking spoiler for anyone who's never played Xenoblade 1. You've been warned.

Spoiler

Those vocals are so much clearer now and it gave me chills listening to it.