NEurope
Cheapshot

The Best Gaming Music Ever.

On 3/25/2017 at 1:16 AM, dwarf said:

Had an amazing experience recently while I was trying to find footage of a level from Driver (PS1). Followed a trail of breadcrumbs on YouTube and happened across the soundtrack to Need for Speed 2, which I hadn't heard for over 15 years. I remembered playing racing games with a steering wheel controller when I was 5 or 6 years old, including Colin MaCrae Rally, but I didn't realise it was a Need for Speed game I'd played all that time ago. Man, the nostalgia rush upon listening to these tracks was unreal. So, so good.

This is actually not bad. Not bad at all.

On 2/12/2018 at 2:23 AM, GenericAperson said:

Here's a gem from a not very well known PC game... 

The GOAT rally game! Nice find!

On 08/03/2018 at 9:17 PM, Nicktendo said:

The GOAT rally game! Nice find!

Only just seen it myself! Remember I had it as some massive PC kit bundle thingy. Unless I'm mistaken Four to the Floor was one of my faves tracks of the time...

(such a blast from the past!)

Edit: actually I think I may have merely had this as one of my favourites. Very tempted to put these on my usb stick for the car...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Rummy said:

Only just seen it myself! Remember I had it as some massive PC kit bundle thingy. Unless I'm mistaken Four to the Floor was one of my faves tracks of the time...

(such a blast from the past!)

Edit: actually I think I may have merely had this as one of my favourites. Very tempted to put these on my usb stick for the car...

Wow, there are people on this forum who actually played this game? That's pretty cool.

This was the first driving game I ever played, though I'll admit since then that the Burnout series has replaced that as my favourite. Still, a lot of nostalgia for this game, the co-driver's voice giving you directions and the way he reads them have been embedded into my head since forever.

9 hours ago, GenericAperson said:

Wow, there are people on this forum who actually played this game? That's pretty cool.

This was the first driving game I ever played, though I'll admit since then that the Burnout series has replaced that as my favourite. Still, a lot of nostalgia for this game, the co-driver's voice giving you directions and the way he reads them have been embedded into my head since forever.

Haha yep my first one too! Well, one that wasn't a cartoons racer like mario kart street racer diddy Kong etc. I just recall it came with the PC or some multimedia bundle and we didn't really have/get PC games much but it was there so I would play it! Wasn't very good at first but it's my first foray into a more real sort of driving game. Funnily enough if I had to pick a favourite racing series it would probably be Burnout too - really wish they'd make a new one.

Been playing A Hat in Time recently. This game has a great soundtrack with some stand out tunes. Here are some of my favourites so far.

Edited by GenericAperson

And now to acknowledge the best OST of 2018:

OK, I can't claim to have heard every OST from every game that's come out this year but, this surely has to be one of the stronger ones right?

I've just had my mind completely blown!

Here's an album of music from the Megadrive Sonic series (plus a few bonus ones) running on actual SNES hardware!

Now you've probably heard "SNES" renditions of MD tunes before, but almost all of them are faked, using midi music and sound fonts, none of them actually adhering to the limitations of the SPC 700 chip... Well this is different! This one runs on real SNES hardware! And he even includes the SPC files that you can run in any SPC music player (or put onto a flash cart and listen to on actual SNES hardware!)

It's unbelievable how close they are to the originals!

While I've heard plenty of great MD renditions of SNES tunes before, it's great to see someone doing the reverse for a change! :D 

• Thanks 2

So I check in on this thread, and no-one thought Smash Ultimate would be a good soundtrack to highlight?

Guess I'm fixing that with some of my favourite new remixes.

No, Lifelight isn't there. Because Lifelight isn't good.

I think @GenericAperson might have been a bit hasty with his best soundtrack of 2018 declaration.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nice try @Glen-i, that's why I specifically said OST, as in Original Soundtrack.

I knew Smash Ultimate was going to have an amazing and comprehensive soundtrack but aside from the main theme and endless remixes of it I was not expecting many actual NEW tunes as it were, instead the sounds being pulled from other games.

So I still stand by what I said in saying that Soul Calibur VI has my favourite original soundtrack of the year, but if we are counting soundtracks in general, regardless of whether the song has been featured before or not then Smash Ultimate definitely.

That being said, there were a few more original compositions in the game than I thought there would be and one of these remixes especially stood out, along with from what I can tell is a brand new piece.

EDIT: Retroactively editing mentions into posts doesn't work, oh well.

Edited by GenericAperson
Tried to edit a mention into the post.
  • Like 1

Started playing Crypt of the Necrodancer again and got reminded of how awesome the soundtrack is.

Spoiler

Such a great song for a final level. It ramps up the speed and you have to be on your toes to keep up. Especially with one of the playable characters that move at double-time.

Downloading the Crypt of the Necrodancer DLC right now. In preparation I've been listening to its songs and goodness me...they are awesome.

The synths, the tempo, the drums. Love it :D 

I'd have to say that I generally agree with this Top Ten list, even though ultimately it's all subjective etc... there's some really great music in there. :D

It makes me want to play all of the games, well most of them anyway. :peace:

• Like 1

On 20/12/2018 at 11:58 AM, Dcubed said:

I've just had my mind completely blown!

Here's an album of music from the Megadrive Sonic series (plus a few bonus ones) running on actual SNES hardware!

Now you've probably heard "SNES" renditions of MD tunes before, but almost all of them are faked, using midi music and sound fonts, none of them actually adhering to the limitations of the SPC 700 chip... Well this is different! This one runs on real SNES hardware! And he even includes the SPC files that you can run in any SPC music player (or put onto a flash cart and listen to on actual SNES hardware!)

It's unbelievable how close they are to the originals!

While I've heard plenty of great MD renditions of SNES tunes before, it's great to see someone doing the reverse for a change! :D 

Oh my! I only just got around to listening to this just now and while I'm only four tracks in, this is clearly phenomenal work indeed. :D

I know exactly how all of the songs originally sounded on MegaDrive hardware so to hear them running on SNES hardware is like relistening to them all over again for the first time.

It gives you a greater appreciation of the talent involved both in the case of the original composers and the creator of these new versions running on different hardware.

I'm off to listen to the rest of it now! :peace:

• Thanks 1

I seen this yesterday and was absolutely loving it.

I found the lullaby to be very touching. Both are brilliant, though. :bowdown: :bouncy:

• Thanks 1

One of my favourite songs in gaming history. And that performance. :bowdown: 

So the first part of the fighter's bundle released for Smash. Naturally, I listened to the 11 Persona Songs that came with it.

Unfortunately, I wasn't enjoying them that much. I guess the music style wasn't my cup of tea.

And then I got to song 11. Which is a new remix for Smash.

They somehow took that really nice piece of music from the Velvet Room and made it funky! So yeah, it's the best piece of music in this pack by far.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm agree with you Glen, the Persona music really isn't to my taste and to be honest the series itself doesn't really appeal to me in spite of it's accolades. Mainly because a large portion of the games seem to be "high school life simulator".

2 hours ago, GenericAperson said:

I'm agree with you Glen, the Persona music really isn't to my taste and to be honest the series itself doesn't really appeal to me in spite of it's accolades. Mainly because a large portion of the games seem to be "high school life simulator".

You have to give it credit in that it's a pretty unique concept for a RPG.

But I'm not keen on Persona for the same reason as you. The high school sections scream Japanese culture and that kinda puts me off.

Which I realise is weird coming from a guy who loved Tokyo Mirage Sessions, which is basically "Persona, but with Japanese Media stars! Oh, and Chrom from Fire Emblem is in there as well."

But that game knew how incredibly silly it all was and played it up to the max.

Have you tried any of the Shin Megami Tensei games? It's very similar to Persona, but with none of the high school drama bits. Instead, it opts for a more "Monster Collecting" aspect.

• Thanks 1

I’ve been listening to a lot of the FFXIV soundtrack today and it’s just been reminding me how much I loved this menu music. I used to hold off logging in so I could hear more of it.

Here are my personal choice of gaming soundtrack in no particular order: 

Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Silent Hill 3

Street Fighter 2

Final Fantasy 8 

The Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind 

• Thanks 1