NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Dante

No More E3?

Senior industry sources have revealed to Next-Gen.Biz that the E3 industry event, in its present form, has been cancelled for next year and the foreseeable future.

The Entertainment Software Association (ESA) shindig has been a staple of game industry life since the mid-1990s. However, we understand the larger exhibitors have jointly decided that the costs of the event do not justify the returns, generally measured in media exposure.

Publishers believe the multi-million dollar budgets would be better spent on more company-focused events that bring attention to their own product lines rather than the industry as a whole.

Well placed sources say the news that larger exhibitors were pulling out had prompted urgent meetings among publishing executives. They decided that, without the support of the larger software publishers and hardware manufacturers, there would be no point in continuing.

ESA president Doug Lowenstein will likely announce the news some time within the next 48 hours, possibly on Monday. It's possible that the ESA will seek to limit the damage by organizing some form of lesser event in May, but it's clear that the days of an industry event attended by all the major publishers, spending big money, are gone.

Calls to ESA staff are not being returned at present.

Edit

As it has been confirmed on E3's website that planning is underway for the next E3 (http://www.e3expo.com/default.aspx) I have changed the topic title.

Ashley.

Edit 2

Entertainment Software Association Announces Evolution of E3Expo for 2007

Monday July 31, 1:46 pm ET

WASHINGTON, D.C.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--July 31, 2006--To better address the needs of today's global computer and video game industry, the 2007 Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3Expo) is evolving into a more intimate event focused on targeted, personalized meetings and activities, the Entertainment Software Association (ESA) announced today.

"The world of interactive entertainment has changed since E3Expo was created 12 years ago. At that time we were focused on establishing the industry and securing orders for the holiday season," said Douglas Lowenstein, President of the ESA, the trade association representing U.S. computer and video game publishers and the owner of E3Expo. "Over the years, it has become clear that we need a more intimate program, including higher quality, more personal dialogue with the worldwide media, developers, retailers and other key industry audiences."

The new E3Expo will take shape over the next several months. As currently envisioned, it will still take place in Los Angeles, described by ESA as a "great and supportive partner helping to build E3." It will focus on press events and small meetings with media, retail, development, and other key sectors. While there will be opportunities for game demonstrations, E3Expo 2007 will not feature the large trade show environment of previous years.

"E3Expo remains an important event for the industry and we want to keep that sense of excitement and interest, ensuring that the human and financial resources crucial to its success can be deployed productively to create an exciting new format to meet the needs of the industry. The new event ensures that there will be an effective and more efficient way for companies to get information to media, consumers, and others," said Lowenstein.

Additionally, the evolution of the video game industry into a vibrant and expanding global market has led to the creation of major events in different regions, such as the Games Convention in Leipzig, the Tokyo Game Show, and company-specific events held by Sony, Nintendo, Microsoft, and others around the world. As a result, Lowenstein said, "It is no longer necessary or efficient to have a single industry 'mega-show.' By refocusing on a highly-targeted event, we think we can do a better job serving our members and the industry as a whole, and our members are energized about creating this new E3."

Additional details about the new E3Expo event will be forthcoming in the next few months.

The ESA is the U.S. association dedicated to serving the business and public affairs needs of the companies publishing interactive games for video game consoles, handheld devices, personal computers, and the Internet. ESA members collectively account for more than 90 percent of the $7 billion in entertainment software sales in the U.S. in 2005, and billions more in export sales of entertainment software. For more information about the ESA, please visit http://www.theESA.com.

Perhaps Sony pulled out after the criticism of their coma-enducing performance this year, and a lot of people followed suit. Have to wonder why this is the only site that's been told this though....

how bizzare. perhaps we can call and end to the summer silly season too. It'd be nice to see real news in the summer instead of news sites crawling over press releases for months

Madness! O_o

I would say this is really bad, but I'm sure something will replace it soon enough. Plus this could add up to more interesting outcomes. Publishers and developers could host thier own media exhibitions.

Spaceworld anyone...?

EDIT:

it should herald the return of spaceworld then.

Gah! Beat me to it. :heh:

I don't believe this.

Should this be classed as a rumour, or fact?

We will find out in 48 hours time.

I'm gonna have to wait to get this verified, either at the actual announcement or elsewhere. Mind, it's not hard to imagine Sony and Microsoft feeling sore after their most recent E3 "performances" pailing in the face of public interest for the Wii. Wouldn't mind having Spaceworld back either, but I'm still awfully suspicous.

Publishers believe the multi-million dollar budgets would be better spent on more company-focused events that bring attention to their own product lines rather than the industry as a whole.

Doesn't that suggest that, if this were to happen, we'd still effectively have an E3; just more 'chopped up'?

Doesn't that suggest that, if this were to happen, we'd still effective have an E3; just more 'chopped up'.

Yes.

Nintendo, Microsoft and Sony would all have seperate events.

However, the downside is, instead of getting lots of information and seeing what all the companies were up to all at one time, we will get little bits throughout the year, as it would be unlikely that the Big N, MS and Sony would all have their conferences at the same time.

OH NOES, im gonna go KILL MYSELF

Let's write some poetry about this. :)

Let's write some poetry about this. :)

I may do so while listening to linking park, i have a knife, BUT I CANT FIND MY WRISTS

Seriously guys, No more E3 = 20 company events sprouting up...

Something has to replace E3,never be the same again.This is something i'd thought i'd never hear.

awww bad news, always loved e3 and wathcing the conferances etc, hopfully this will cause spaceworld to come back though.

Let's look a the bright side, it will either: a) be replaced or b) companies will hold individual shows and news will come out faster

Time for Nintendo to re-establish Space World?

ya but change the name.I hate the name space world

ya but change the name.I hate the name space world

How about Galaxy World :heh:

I really hope E3 isn't cancelled, it is one of my favourite times of the year, the 3 big companies all having loads of news (or lack of it in some cases).

I love E3.

I was hoping for a Spaceworld anyway this year, hopefully it'll come back...

I wouldn't read too much into it, even if it's true.

After all the article states

in its present form, has been cancelled for next year

So I believe there'll definitely be an E³ next year. Only it won't be that mega show it used to be but this is too big of an event to be canned.

Sign in to follow this