NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Minihobbsch

Difficult question...

Here is a question I have been thinking about for quite a while now, but still haven't managed to come up an appropiate answer. So I was wondering what your theories/views were. The question is below:-

What is our purpose as humans? We must have been created for something, but what?

NOTE: Please do not post stupid theories or irrelevant answers.

First off, i've noticed that you are new here. So, welcome. :)

Hmmm, humans and their purpose. I do often think about this. Like, what is the point of being here if we eventually just die.

Personally, here is what i think.

You live. You die. That's for sure.

Everything inbetween, is entirely up to you. Life is what you make of it.

What is our goal as humans? To live. To have a life. And to die with the thought that we have done something of our lives. So that we can say that we were here.

Don't want to be pesimistic but I don't think there is a point to life. We just happened to be here. If we die nothing would change, other lifeforems would carry on living. We are here by accident, there is no point to it.

:horse: - a new smiley to accompany my downbeat post

EDIT:

And welcome to the forums Minihobbsch

First off, i've noticed that you are new here. So, welcome. :)

What is our goal as humans? To live. To have a life. And to die with the thought that we have done something of our lives. So that we can say that we were here.

Thank you. Sorry if I didn't mention this in my previous post, but I meant to say that a possible job as humans on Earth, would be "Stewards" to the Earth. So we would have to protect it for future generations, I got this theory from my Philosophy and Ethics class some time ago (listening does have it'a advantages).

I believe that the purpose of life is:

1. To get a physical body.

2. To do worthwhile things and be a good person.

3. To learn as much as we can.

4. To form families and look after them.

There are details, but that's the basics.

(BTW, threads like this are known to cause arguments and contention. Good luck everyone!)

Thank you. Sorry if I didn't mention this in my previous post, but I meant to say that a possible job as humans on Earth, would be "Stewards" to the Earth. So we would have to protect it for future generations, I got this theory from my Philosophy and Ethics class some time ago (listening does have it'a advantages).

I think that fits in nicely with Odwin's idea of forming families.

I also forgot to mention I am an Athiest.

EDIT: I personally think that we were instructed by someone (who?) to "go forth and multiply". Which also fit's in nicely with Odwin's theory.

To reproduce then die...

Everything else revolves around money.

That actually sound like a good answer if you think about it correctly.:bowdown:

"Go forth and conquer"

I'm sure that's in the bible somewhere, but I couldn't find it anywhere in Google, can anyone confirm this?

"Go forth and conquer"

I'm sure that's in the bible somewhere, but I couldn't find it anywhere in Google, can anyone confirm this?

Well God said (depending oin translation, Im using a NIV):

"Be fruitful and increase in number; fill the earth and subdue it".. (Rule over fish and other living creatures...etc).

Edit: I think some translations say "go forth and mulitply/be fruitful etc".

I believe that the purpose of life is:

1. To get a physical body.

2. To do worthwhile things and be a good person.

3. To learn as much as we can.

4. To form families and look after them.

There are details, but that's the basics.

What he said.

"Go forth and conquer"

I don't know it, but "Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth." is. That's kinda similar.

I also forgot to mention I am an Athiest.

If you don't believe we we put here by someone, how do you believe we have a purpose? Not saying you're wrong but if human life just naturally occured, it seems a bit farfetched that we were created for a purpose.

If you don't believe we we put here by someone, how do you believe we have a purpose? Not saying you're wrong but if human life just naturally occured, it seems a bit farfetched that we were created for a purpose.

I don't believe in God, that's why we must have been creating by something happening. But even if the human life did just appear, then it must have been for a reason. I still remember a quote but not sure who said it: "everythinghappens for a reason".

Well then, your reason is that your parents had sex, you were born and now you have to survive, make your time.

In my opinion, there is no "purpose" to us being here. We just live and die. And while we live, we try to make the best of it. People try to give some purpose to their lives cause that's what they need to be able to survive, so to speak. Purpose can be anything, going from raising a family, sharing your knowledge with the rest of the world, saving some animals to just playing games and have fun.

Basically, there's no purpose to our lives other than the purpose we give to it ourselves.

Well then, your reason is that your parents had sex, you were born and now you have to survive, make your time.

yes and all your base are belong to us :P

any way, i believe in the god of alcohol so our purpose on this earth is to make alcohol and drink of it! :heh:

Being a christian purposes for me are love neighbour as myself and love God. I think these are the two main ones although there are lots of other sub ones depending on the indivdual and short term purposes. But those are the two that I try and fail to live by.

Another absurdist here.

Absurdism is a philosophy stating that the efforts of humanity to find meaning in the universe will ultimately fail because no such meaning exists (at least in relation to humanity).

I personally fail to see meaning in the existence of humanity or the universe. Some people seem to think this means I'm suicidal or depressed, a misandrist or whatever. Not at all, I love life, and iwll continue to live it for my enjoyment, regardless if their is a higher purpose or not.

I don't know it, but "Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth." is. That's kinda similar.

Yeah, I recognise that one. Maybe it was somewhere else I saw that other quote, I really can't remember though. It was also something to do with God placing us in charge of all the other animals.

But, meh.

Psycho Mantis said that when he dove into people's minds all he saw was their ambition to pass on their seed, perhaps everybody's ambition is to have a little bit of poontang at least once.

My idea is that we're here to leave our mark on the world, by doing something creative and useful. John Lennon, Jimi Hendrix, Elvis Presley, Kurt Cobain, Frank Sinatra, Buddy Holly and Jeff Buckley left their mark with music that has inspired thousands of musicians. People like Einstein and Marie Curie changed how people think via Science, and Ancient Greek philosophers like Galen, Homer and Archimedes, they changed the way people think, Galen's work was used by many centuries after his death. Even footballers leave their mark simply by being an inspiration to children. How many footballers did the 1966 World Cup winners inspire to become footballers.

I think this because the world is a few million years old and we're only on it for around 100 years. So we have to leave our mark on earth and be remembered for a fair few centuries, we will be forgotten at some point, but nobody wants to be forgotten six months after their death!

Humans have no purpose, they are a result of the universe.

Big bang > Stars > Planets > Life conditions > Primitive life > Evolution > Intelligent life

The only reason why we think we have purpose is because having purpose is a motivation to survive, which in turn is a logic result of evolution.

Sign in to follow this