NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Cheapshot

Is Xbox Live on the 360 going to be free?

Here's the deal; I don't have a credit card. Xbox Live is REALLY tempting but I've never been able to enjoy this wonderful service, but with this silver service on the 360 - will I be able to play for free?

I've checked everywhere and nowhere seems to explain it.

No one really knows. I think MS has said that you;ll be able to have a friends list and send messages and the occaisional weekend of play. But you wont be able to play any time you want. Can't you borrow your parents card? It works with a Visa Electron card, just go to your bank, ask if you can get one of them.

You don't need a credit card to upgrade to the gold service anyway, you'll be able to buy subscription codes, like you do a starter kit, and no credit card will be needed to use them, apparently.

For the 'Gold' tier of Xbox Live, which permits full use of the Xbox Live service (the 'Silver' tier does not allow for multiplayer online gaming, only access to the marketplace), you can pay the subscription fee via 'top-up cards' (my phrase) in-store (i.e. GAME or Gamestation), which act in a similar way to your mobile phone top-up cards.

The subscription is paid over the counter and a card is received with a code on the back. And then you'll be able to enter that code via your Xbox.

:)

[EDIT] Dang.

Sounds good to me! :)

It is possible to convert you X-Box Live account to your 360 Live account isn't it? I'm sure that I've read that somewhere. If that's the case then would your 360 account be upgraded to the Gold service?

Sounds good to me! :)

It is possible to convert you X-Box Live account to your 360 Live account isn't it? I'm sure that I've read that somewhere. If that's the case then would your 360 account be upgraded to the Gold service?

I very much doubt it as people would just buy a load of Xbox Live kits on the cheap and then update it to their new 360 and so get a few years of very cheap 360 Live paid for. (It's what I'll do if that's the case anyhow).

I very much doubt it as people would just buy a load of Xbox Live kits on the cheap and then update it to their new 360 and so get a few years of very cheap 360 Live paid for. (It's what I'll do if that's the case anyhow).

Although i could be wrong, i think mircosoft said that peoples xbox live gamertags will be transfered to the 360 gold service free of charge.

No, MS have said that existing paid-for credit will be transferred; they just havent decided on the costs of a years service on Xbox live, so while you maybe have like 10 months left of an Abox subscription, theres a chance it may equate to like 7 months of the new Gold Service. At any rate, you wont lose your paid-for credit. Im pretty sure Live Kits are back to the standard RRP now as well and will stay that way in anticipation for the 360.

For the record, the free service (Silver) allows for access to the Marketplace as Haver mentioned, Friends List and I think Personal Scores and things like that. There is no actual interaction game-wise on Silver subs. The free trials of the Gold service are something that may happen, but it wont be a regular thing, like every weekend. You will also be able to chat to your friends on the Silver service, which means you will effectively be able to use it like a free phone line on your internet connection. Sweet!

________

DIGITAL SCALES

Edited by Johelian

Hmmm I might just get my bro to let me use his Visa, they accept Visa right? I'm 18 so I should be getting a card soon anyway.

Hmmm I might just get my bro to let me use his Visa, they accept Visa right? I'm 18 so I should be getting a card soon anyway.

You don't need to be 18. It's a debit card.

Apparently you don't need to use a card (according to almost everyone else who has replied). Just wait and see.

you dont need a card, buy a pre peaid pack, which contains a code.

It's pretty confusing JonSt, baring in mind that for Xbox you could buy a prepaid kit, yet you still needed a credit card to sign-up.

No, MS have said that existing paid-for credit will be transferred; they just havent decided on the costs of a years service on Xbox live, so while you maybe have like 10 months left of an Abox subscription, theres a chance it may equate to like 7 months of the new Gold Service. At any rate, you wont lose your paid-for credit. Im pretty sure Live Kits are back to the standard RRP now as well and will stay that way in anticipation for the 360.

£30 on Play.com at the mo (for a year's live), so might be worth going with them for a top up.

We shall see though.

I'm sure I heard somewhere that a years Gold service on the 360 will cost £39.99, same as Live is now, so I think everything'll probably just be a straight transfer over.

Just to clarify: on Xbox, you need a credit card to sign up, even if you have a subscription code and on Xbox 360, you can buy a subscription card from GAME or somewhere with no need for a card. It's a good way of getting more people to play on Live!

I'm sure I heard somewhere that a years Gold service on the 360 will cost ?39.99, same as Live is now, so I think everything'll probably just be a straight transfer over.

I got a memo yesterday that says that its likely to be the same price as it is now, but its not confirmed yet - so I think youre probably right, but there is a slim chance the price will be changed. I personally dont think its likely.

________

Suzuki Fr80

Edited by Johelian

It's pretty confusing JonSt, baring in mind that for Xbox you could buy a prepaid kit, yet you still needed a credit card to sign-up.

but this time you just enter the code, and thats the 12 months paid for, pretty simple.

You should just buy an XBL starter kit and forget about those cards from GAME, you get a new headset with the starter kits. I've got 3 headsets at the moment and 2 of them are sellotaped. I wouldn't be surprised if the XB360 ones will break really easily too.

You should just buy an XBL starter kit and forget about those cards from GAME, you get a new headset with the starter kits. I've got 3 headsets at the moment and 2 of them are sellotaped. I wouldn't be surprised if the XB360 ones will break really easily too.

So far (touch wood) my headset hasnt broke, and it doesnt get the best of treatment of me..

I'm on my second headset. They are super cheap and flimsy. Its better that the new ones aren't backphones like the current ones. Backphones are always crappy and cheap, bar one pair i've had.

I've given up on official MS headsets, after 2 broke and they wouldn't replace the second I got a cheapo plantronics one and that's been fine, even sat on it the other day and the earpiece popped off, but it just clipped back on.

Sign in to follow this