NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Conor_NE

RE Podcast - Hot Topic #3

Cheers for the imput on the last thread guys, the new podcast is up on the website - http://www.revo-europe.com/media/podcast/podcast2.mp3 :)

We threw out a new Hot Topic during the show, we want your imput on it. Here goes... What are your earliest gaming memories?

Can you remember your first console? First game? Delve as far back as you can, we'll be airing some of the posts in the next edition of the podcast.

Getting my first Nintendo console, the GameBoy Color, and playing Pokemon Yellow for hours on end for years.

I remember watching my father play Zelda on the SNES when I was about 4. I loved helping him find "cracks in the wall" to bomb. I have lots of fond memories of the SNES, but back then I preferred watching over actually playing the games. My first ever game was Super Mario Land on the original "brick" GameBoy. I used to play it all the time at the neighbours, and when I was about 7 I think, my father let me have my own GameBoy with Super Mario Land. It took me years to beat (I was just a kid), but when I finally did I was very proud. Super Mario Land is a game I can still enjoy today, it's definetely one of my favourites.

Hmm my first gaming memory was of the Commodore 64. I cant remember what the first game I played on it was but I do remember playing Turtles 1 on it. I pretended I was sick so I could stay off school and then I sat and completed it all in one day. I also had Transformers for it and to this day I still havent a clue how to play it.

My first Nintendo memory was going to my friends house and he had just got a NES for his birthday. We played on Mario Bros. all that day with the occasional go of Duck Tales. I still remember when jumping with Mario we both kept moving the pad in the direction of Marios jump. Young and naive or pioneers of the Wii controller? You decide.

My earliest memory is being mauled by a bear on Tomb Raider 1 (PlayStation) at my mate's house. Thankfully he hadn't got to the dinosaur level yet.

I downloaded it.. and it wasnt there when it finished.. i did a search but it's dissapeared..

My earliest memory was being scared at the intro for Donkey Kong Country.. the old moneky with the gramaphone freaked me out..

=S May just be my speaker..but its very unclear what a few people say. I didnt download the first one but will take the time to say Mokong you have the coolest voice known to man.

My earliest game memory was playing Super Mario land on the gameboy and crying when the battery ran out..i got so far...I was near the end of the 1st level goddam you AA batteries.

Playing supermario bros. with my cuz. We started playing co-op games at 3 years old and my grandmother has video to prove it. Now we are one the best co-op teams in any game because of our fine tunning to each other thought process.

Meteors! in my cousin's loft conversion, on a battered BBC Micro.

I remember having an ancient PC years ago, which could only run a few DOS games. One of these was Pacman, which I played for hours. There was also Lemmings, which I could never get too far with, although my dad became totally obsessed with it for a while and completed it. He then became extremely pissed off when the only thanks he got was a little message saying congratulations. He's turned his back on games ever since, thinking of them as a waste of time, but I really don't know what he was expecting when he got to the end, singing, dancing and a visit from the developer to shake his hand perhaps? There were a few other games as well, Crystal Caves, Duke Nukem, Dune, Rogue, aaaah the memories.

I've posted this before, but it seems to be amusing for people to laugh at my stupidity so here we go:

I used to have one of those tape-based computers with a keyboard, maybe an Atari or Commodore 64. I one day thought to myself that the keys were all in the wrong order so I rearranged them alphabetically.

Incase you were wondering, no. No they didn't work right afterwards. They didn't work right at all.

I've posted this before, but it seems to be amusing for people to laugh at my stupidity so here we go:

I used to have one of those tape-based computers with a keyboard, maybe an Atari or Commodore 64. I one day thought to myself that the keys were all in the wrong order so I rearranged them alphabetically.

Incase you were wondering, no. No they didn't work right afterwards. They didn't work right at all.

My earlier gaming memory also involved one of these tape-based computers. This one was a definitely a Commodore 64. I spent a good half an hour getting my Hong Kong Phooey game to load. After that, it crashed at the start up screen.

I tried this for many, many days. Eventually, i did get into the game. All 5 seconds of it before it crashed again.

Words fail me.

That's what bugs me about kids and games these days. It's no longer a roulette as to whether your game's actually going to be, you know, playable. They just don't work for it.

Damn right, back in the days when you had to play your cartridge like a harmonica and slam the reset button you got a real sense of satisfaction and excitement when the title screen actually came up. Also nothing these days comes close to frustration of getting miles into a came only for it to freeze, as regularly happend with my copy of Streets of Rage. Kids these days need to feel these pure emotions from games and consoles, although Sony try their best. (oooh cheapshot)

Sign in to follow this