NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
DiemetriX

Making my Idea reality?

I have a Awesome Game Idea. I have talked to a couple of people and they agree that It's as good as i think it is. It's something new, inovative and something that would probably sell. I would like this idea to materialize. I have friends that are programers etc. And I have people who wan't to help buy Dev kits etc.

My Main Question is. How do I get this game to materialize? Do you need to be a gaming company to make games on Wii. How big was NIBRIS when they started? How much money do you think a cost to make a game? What about VC? Maybe people like me wil have a chanse and relese games on VC :love:

Could you make it on the DS? It will be alot easier to do and cost alot less too. Infact there are quite a few GBA/DS hombrew code communities on the net.

If you are going to contact companies about your idea. Write it down post it to yourself recorded delivery and dont open it. Then you have a date and time stamped on it proving when you created it (in case they rip you off).

First off - get it copyrighted immediatly or at least give yourself some copyright protection. Easiest way to do this is write out your game idea in full and post yourself a copy. When it arrives, don't open it or do anything to it, just leave all the post seals intact.

Maybe then you could present your idea to a few companies.

EDIT: Beat me to it Rick :p

From my experiences of book publishers (of which I have had none except reading up on it) is that you should send a letter to them explaining what it is, the main features etc then ask if they want to see a demostration of it or something.

You should probably start out making a demo for DS (easy platform, no devkit needed) or PC (pretty easy too) as homebrew to get interest from the industry. It's very difficult to get a devkit of the Wii with just an idea, especially considering the Wii isn't out yet. You could find a workaround for the Wiimote with special PC hardware or the touch screen.

From what I've read somewhere, you need to be a software house (or any company with a software department, they need to know it's not a con) and show that you're capable of creating something of professional level.

I would say, probably your best route would be to start doing some basic development work; start pulling some code together, try to demonstrate your ideas getting as close to the control method as you can, using a mouse interface. If you can get across your basic elements and inspire that feeling of frsutration, at not being able to demonstrate the full control setup, then you would probably increase your chance of being able to get your hands on a devkit.

First off - get it copyrighted immediatly or at least give yourself some copyright protection. Easiest way to do this is write out your game idea in full and post yourself a copy. When it arrives, don't open it or do anything to it, just leave all the post seals intact.

Maybe then you could present your idea to a few companies.

EDIT: Beat me to it Rick :p

Write your idea down and put your signature under the date and let a friend sign it aswell - that is a valid proof in US court for patent problems and stuff.

Also so far you don't need a Wii devkit just a PowerPC compiler and you are ready.

I have also had ideas, and my mum does the post copyright for me. Why not send to Shigsy first?

I have also had ideas, and my mum does the post copyright for me. Why not send to Shigsy first?

Doubt he can read much English for one.

Oh man, you have really got me curious as to what your idea is. You can tell me, I won't tell anyone. ;)

I can't answer your question though. Sorry!

I don't think posting it to yourself is the safest thing to do in terms of copyrighting. I've heard that posting the material to yourself doesn't neccesarily mean it's copyrighted.

Dont bother trying to make any money... Just let the world know and get some satisfactionthat some of the ideas have been used. Be a true gamer!

You should really make som concept art to visualise the style of the game... You can also make a game storyboard, showing a simple gamescene.

You can also make a series of dummy screenshots = non playable scenes / stills... and acompany them with a precise and wellwriten text about what "happens in the game" and the genneral idea... Ect...

If you need some one to help you with these visual things, mail me at [email protected] - you can see some examples of what i can do here http://www.timnorlund.com (see CGI) - just browse the website :)

Good luck

those are nice elitemario epecialy the alien render.

getting a dev kit i imagin will be very hard if you are not a developer or publisher.

your best bet is to create a demo on anouther more open system.

I have a Awesome Game Idea. I have talked to a couple of people and they agree that It's as good as i think it is. It's something new, inovative and something that would probably sell. I would like this idea to materialize. I have friends that are programers etc. And I have people who wan't to help buy Dev kits etc.

My Main Question is. How do I get this game to materialize? Do you need to be a gaming company to make games on Wii. How big was NIBRIS when they started? How much money do you think a cost to make a game? What about VC? Maybe people like me wil have a chanse and relese games on VC :love:

Bloody hell, you sound like a Business Gateway advert, which is incidentally where you should start. If you've got an idea, you should really put a bit of good research into it and see where it leads.

Ok I think people need some intellectual property lessons. Everyone seems to get this wrong!

I don't think posting it to yourself is the safest thing to do in terms of copyrighting. I've heard that posting the material to yourself doesn't neccesarily mean it's copyrighted.

Its not copyrighting it at all. Infact copyrighting wouldnt help you much in this situation either. Copyrights only protect drawings, logos, art etc they are free and to copyright stuff you simply write © your name and the year.

They only protect the visual side not the idea however.

To protect the idea you will need a patent. However they can be pricey (£200-£10,000 depending on whether you use a patent clerk) and time consuming.

On thing DiemetriX should do is get everyone he shows the idea too to sign a confidential agreement form which would state they should not tell anyone about his idea. He could then sue for breach of contract.

The postal thing mearly adds weight to his claim as the inventor with a date and time assocaited with it.

I would like to thank every one for their input.

I love your creations elitemario. I'll contact you and tellyn when I'm ready to make som mock ups.

@ blender: I'm not doing this for the money. I would even give away the idea for free If a company want it. The only thing I want Is my name to be associated with it.

I will share the idea after I have talked to some higher up people etc. If they shoot it down or I think things won't work out.

But I'm sure this project will have to be on hold atleast until the Wii is launched. I'm sure Nintendo is very picky at the moment. Making it for the VC sounds like the smartest solution, if possible.

The main drive for this idea is the Wii mote. The game will be fun alone and fun with friends. And the game will also learn you things that you can use in real life situations. Ther's no game like it. So it won't be an FPS, platformer, etc.

Haha, well I am working on a small game for PC in my little team and would love to work on the Wii's VC (it's possible for small devs). All we have though is 1 programmer and 3 graphic artists. All 2D, but thats nice for the Wii's VC if we are intending on doing classic games.

Any information would be helpful really on how we go about actually copyrighting it and stuff.

I have had a good chat with Wildo and I have decided to contact Nibris :) I'll post an update when I get a answer.

Sign in to follow this