NEurope
DiemetriX

Mario 2 was never really mario at all

Mario 2 was not really a Mario game at all, but a slightly modified version of a game released in Japan named Doki Doki Panic? Altered to suit overseas tastes, Doki Doki Panic has a more Persian feel to it, and features four characters to choose from, that's why Mario 2 has four characters as well. The landscape, power-ups, characters and monsters of Mario 2 were slightly tweaked to make it more Mario-like, but the game pretty much bears its Doki Doki origins.

ddp_smb2_char.gif

http://themushroomkingdom.net/smb2_ddp.shtml

Even the Shy guys was originaly from doki doki panic and not Mario :o

That was news for me. I'm sure some off you wanted to know this :)

Yeah i knew about this, i read it in either NOM or NGC awhile back. It surprised me actualy because i thought Nintendo wouldnt do something like that with one of there games... and i dont think they will ever do it again!

I knew about this many moons ago but Mario 2 made Toad a playable character so it is an essential game.

A few difference however, the Turtle shells were shrunken vodoo heads...? the lives were just a picture of your characters head, the potion bottle was a magic lamp, when you go through the potion(lamp) door cheesy arabian music plays, the shrinking mechanic was only on mario 2 as was the running, the storyline on Doki Doki Panic was so cheesy it was hillerious (2 kids and a rabid monkey reading a book... a hand pulls the kids into the book, monkey runs up and down screaming, a random arabian family appears (literally) infront of the book, the game starts, end intro), the bonus game looked like crap on Doki Doki panic, seriously, it was so bland... just a roulette wheel on screen and that was practically it, theres probably more but cant really be bothered naming them.

Also, like or dislike the game, without it Luigi would still be Marios identical twin, Toad fans... well... probably wouldnt be Toad fans and Peach would still be in another castle instead of kicking ass on smash bros :-p.

I didn't really like it... It doesn't compare to any of the other Mario games.

About to flame this thread a little but I'm surprised by how many people didn't already know this.

And you call yourselves nintendo fans! :heh:

I didt know that, and i bought SMB 2 when it came out on the NES, but this leads us to a question no-one has asked yet;

If what we played was oki doki panic, then what was the real SMB 2 like? I want to play the actual one.

What a rubbish game Super Mario Bros 2 was. Dunno who else agrees.

SMB2 is the worst game in the original mario series. But it's not rubbish IMO.

I didt know that, and i bought SMB 2 when it came out on the NES, but this leads us to a question no-one has asked yet;

If what we played was oki doki panic, then what was the real SMB 2 like? I want to play the actual one.

Japan's Mario 2 looked & played just like Mario 1 but it was a much harder game. Iit was a 1-player game in which you could choose between the two brothers. Luigi could jump higher than Mario, but his traction wasn't as good. It was like the bottom of his shoes were covered in a layer of ice or banana peels. This game eventually made its way to the rest of the world in the form of "The Lost Levels" on the Super Mario All Stars pack for the Super Nintendo.

I'm gonna agree with BGS and say that the lack of knowledge on this is shocking.. I knew about this ages ago. :shock:

You know I do baby! It's rubbish to the extreme.

Play Lifeforce on the NES everyone, it was great!

Me.

textlimit

Well, to everyone that doesn't like it, I think it's the best of the original series, and because my opinion is worth infinitly more than everyone else combined, I KNOW I'm right.

I knew this as well from an interview with the Shiggy that some show did ages ago. He was stating how he wanted the game overseas and thought Mario would certainly appeal more to the oversea game players.

Didn't know this :shock:

Oh well, maybe thats Mario 2 seemed so difrent (in a bad way :heh:).

I thought it was pants as well. I think I might have heard about this, but I had forgotten. Lets hope they have learnt their mistake and don't do it again!