NEurope
Fierce_LiNk

Resident Evil: The Original Script...by Romero

Whilst talking to ViPeR about the Resident Evil film, i learnt a fact today. Paul Anderson also wrote the script for this film. I only thought he had directed it, but i checked IMDB, and they told me otherwise.

However, something else caught my eye. If you visit IMDB, you will notice that they have a message board. One topic that caught my eye was talking about George Romero...and the script he wrote for the first Resident Evil film.

I rubbed my eyes and read it again. This is the first that i've known about this. Romero wrote a script for resident evil?

I clicked on the topic in question. Somebody had also posted the link to the script. The actual script that was shunned...

I've just finished reading it. Now, i don't think the Resident Evil film that Paul Anderson did was perfect, but i also don't think it was a complete travesty either.

However, after reading Romero's script...i can't honestly say for the life of me why they decided to go for Anderson's script.

You see, Romero is a bit of a legend when it comes to zombie flicks. In fact, he's a lot of a legend. This was his calling. The original Resident Evil game was based around the Night of the living dead films. It would have made a lot of sense to allow him to write the script (and possibly direct) the Resident Evil film.

I can tell you, i feel angry right now. I'm angry because i feel like we didn't see the right film. The Resident Evil film that got released wasn't the version that should have got released.

Here is the script for all of you who want to read it:

http://www.imsdb.com/scripts/Resident-Evil.html

I hope this is of interest to a lot of you.

I heard about this. Apparently Romero was pretty eager to do the Resi movie because he had always admired the soap-opera monster drama of the games, and though it was a good play on the traditional undead theme. They threw him off because he refused to compromise so the film would be sure of getting a low enough age rating for the executives. Cos' all us gamers are 13 years old, and simply making a good film just isn't enough anymore.

EDIT: Scanning through, I must say I'm really quite enjoying the scene at the farmhouse. It actually relates to the creepy, desperate atmosphere of the series quite well.

I read this years ago, i loved the script.

Hollywood = wankers

I heard this and read the script a while back. I think the fact that they opted for Anderson's script rather than Romero's totally sucks! This is one of the many reasons why I really hate the films... they could have been so much more if Romero had been at the helm.

just read it and have to agree it would of made a much better film as it stays pretty close to the games. Damn you hollywood

I knew about this long ago, i used to visit a Resi forums at the time, i never read the Romero script because from what i had heard was that although the general opinion in the Resi forum was that the Anderson film was poor (i didn't think it was that bad but i'm not gonna go into that now) that the script Romero wrote was shockingly far worse... i seen this mentioned on various fourms since, and is why i never bothered to look at the Romero scrpit, this is the first time i've seen positive coments about it

What?! There's not really anything bad i can pick out of Romero's script. It's pretty damn good, imo. It's so truthful to the game, the characters are portrayed really well (especially Wesker and Barry), and the interaction is good.

Read it, Mokong. The link is there.:heh:

I'm not tired, so I figure whiling the hours away reading an unused script is as good an activity as any other.

I remember reading an alternate script to 'Matrix Reloaded' once, and it seems that site carries it. I thought it was pretty interesting simply because it's nothing like the finished ('finished'?) product.

It's good to see that alternative scripts actually do surface for all our eyes to see. I've not read the Romero Resi script yet, but I do plan to at some stage.......but by the sounds of the comments here it looks like it was a missed opportunity.

The original Resident Evil film wasn't that bad, but it could have been so much better, and also could of stuck to the games ideas alot more.

I'm not tired, so I figure whiling the hours away reading an unused script is as good an activity as any other.

I remember reading an alternate script to 'Matrix Reloaded' once, and it seems that site carries it. I thought it was pretty interesting simply because it's nothing like the finished ('finished'?) product.

I hope you have fun reading the script. I really did, as i love reading scripts. I read the alternative script to Alien3 a while back and it was great to see how things could have been so different.

Colin: The Romero script is more or less the game in film form. If they wanted to make the film similar to the game, they SHOULD have gone with this.

The only reason i can see why they went with Anderson's script was that the film wasn't close to the game. Maybe they wanted to try a different approach? They certainly got it, but i would have much rather have had Romero's script on film, to be honest. Read it, and see what you think. :)

Right now, i'm going to read the reloaded script! Cheers, Aimless.

I'm writing a Resident Evil (similiar) zombie script.

I'm producing and filming it next year. I hope when its finished and online you guys will go 'ooohhh!' :)

I've just finished reading the matrix reloaded alternative script. It's so...different. Hahaha. That's the only way to describe it.

Colin: The Romero script is more or less the game in film form. If they wanted to make the film similar to the game, they SHOULD have gone with this.

If they wanted to make a series of films with dialogue that doesn't have all the aural graces of a farting kitten, they SHOULD have gone with this.

I'm writing a Resident Evil (similiar) zombie script.

I'm producing and filming it next year. I hope when its finished and online you guys will go 'ooohhh!' :)

It would take someone genuinly stupid to get more wrong then the current movies. And you're really not stupid. I look forward to it.:awesome:

Read this years ago and the script is awesome. I wish they made this film, it could have one of the best zombie films ever.

Hey guys I'm back for a short time.

George A. Romero is the all time King of Zombies. I read this script last year. If they used his script, Resident Evil would have become a horror movie classic. If you guys want to have another good read, read the original script to Day of the Dead.