NEurope
SpinesN

Question to everyone living in europe

I don't understand how it could kill a British person, Scottish maybe. But if the Spanish temperature could kill British people. Then how come Spain is a popular holiday resort?

You are indeed exaggerating.

I'm mostly talking about inland Spain (about a good 20KM inland), which it gets very hot. The beach resorts are a good 5/10 degrees cooler, though.

when i was working in france during the 2003 heat wave, it was 45 degrees almost every day for the first few weeks. i'm having to work and work hard in this heat. i didn't die and neither did the other englishman working with me. all we did was sweat buckets, drink shitloads of water and smell awful by the end of the working day.

Note: When I say "die" I don't mean it literly, I mean in as in "you feel like you're gonna die, and sometimes wish you could die".

i didn't feel like i was going to die and i didn't wish it upon myself either. i just got on with it. i think you're going abit overboard personally. if you can't take the heat it doesn't mean other folks can't....

While on the topic, does anyone know any good language tapes for Japanese?

Oh and in answer to the question that started this topic, we call Deutchland 'Germany' because it's where germs came from.

While on the topic, does anyone know any good language tapes for Japanese?

Apparently Pimsleur, not that I've ever really used it. If you want to get a decent experience though, watch Japanese TV (not anime, the language is unnatural) or listen to Japanese radio.

Ok well I live on the other side of the planet from you (literally) and I got into a discussion with my dad. Why is germany called germany when the germans call it Deutschland? :wtf:

It just seems odd to me since every other country on the globe (that I know of) calls their own country the same thing as everyone else. Or is this the same kind of thing as americans calling their counrty america and usa?

excallent thread.this has bothered me for years but i never thought of it for a while.i huess its because plenty of countried outside of europe have different characters for letters.

thats what i think but i could just be talking shit again!

excallent thread.this has bothered me for years but i never thought of it for a while.i huess its because plenty of countried outside of europe have different characters for letters.

thats what i think but i could just be talking shit again!

The main reason is because that's what people have always called it. Often the names are approximations (so that the country name can be pronounced in the alien language), but this is by no means a hard and fast rule; look at Germany, Japan etc.

Oh and in answer to the question that started this topic, we call Deutchland 'Germany' because it's where germs came from.

Is that a reference to look around you?

Norway = Norge in norwegian :)

you're late, already pointed that one out...