NEurope
SpinesN

Question to everyone living in europe

You just did one of the worse insults you could do to a portuguese, you see, we do not talk spanish, and in portuguese Spain is indeed Espanha.
Oh...shit, I'm really sorry, I never meant to offend anyone... I just got a bit mixed up, since I thought you were typing in Spanish, not Portugeuse.

Note: Spanish isn't my natural language, English is, therefore, I made that mistake, and again, I'm very sorry.

Oh...shit, I'm really sorry, I never meant to offend anyone... I just got a bit mixed up, since I thought you were typing in Spanish, not Portugeuse.

Note: Spanish isn't my natural language, English is, therefore, I made that mistake, and again, I'm very sorry.

Yeah, I know it's not intentional and they really are similar, but it's a comment mostly done by americans that mistakes us for Spanish and throws away 800 years of history. It can get a really annoying, specially because we see them as some kind of nemesis.

It can get a really annoying, specially because we see them as some kind of nemesis.
Hmm, never realised that, from what I gathered, Spain and Portugal got along together, now it appears I was wrong...

Hmm, never realised that, from what I gathered, Spain and Portugal got along together, now it appears I was wrong...

Beeing our only terrestrial frontier and only a quarter their size you can guess with who we had most of our wars. They probably don't think much of it, you could compare it to the relationship between England and France.

Beeing our only terrestrial frontier and only a quarter their size you can guess with who we had most of our wars. They probably don't think much of it, you could compare it to the relationship between England and France.
Oh right... they never told us that in history here in Spain.

Oh right... they never told us that in history here in Spain.

Now i'm confused, you're an Anglophone, but you live in Spain?

Anyway, that pretty normal, most contries focus they're history teaching on the best parts.

Now i'm confused, you're an Anglophone, but you live in Spain?

Anyway, that pretty normal, most contries focus they're history teaching on the best parts.

Yup, I'm English, but I live in Spain, for reasons I can't be arsed to tell anyone.

In school, they taught us how to speak and write Welsh, but the way it was taught was shoddy. Therefore, many of us couldn't be bothered to learn it.

I fancy getting back into it now.

I plan to learn Spanish, possibly a wee bit of Catalan just to be different. At the moment my Spanish doesn't extend much beyond 'tres cerveza por favor'...

The way languages are taught here in schools in the UK is appaling, especially compared to the rest of Europe. I always find it embarrasing when I hear tourists speaking German, French, Spanish or something, and then being able to turn around and speak good English, while I can't understand a word they say to each other.

The way languages are taught here in schools in the UK is appaling, especially compared to the rest of Europe. I always find it embarrasing when I hear tourists speaking German, French, Spanish or something, and then being able to turn around and speak good English, while I can't understand a word they say to each other.

Reminds me of when I was in Wales. I was standing outside a pub and this bloke was near us and he was speaking fluent Welsh on his mobile. He finished his call, then he made another call and was speaking in English this time.

Goddamn I want to be bilingual, I used to be able to speak French quite well but I've forgotten half of what I've learnt. (It's been 2 years since my last French lesson.)

It feels like Spain over here with this bloody hot weather.
I can garuantee you that you are wrong, at the mo', its about 40 degrees in the shade, and 55 degrees outside, its too bloody hot! I can't even leave the house to go to the local swimming pool, all I can do is wait until the late afternoon comes, when its safe to step outside the house without being cooked alive.

I can garuantee you that you are wrong, at the mo', its about 40 degrees in the shade, and 55 degrees outside, its too bloody hot! I can't even leave the house to go to the local swimming pool, all I can do is wait until the late afternoon comes, when its safe to step outside the house without being cooked alive.

I've never been to Spain and all I know about Spain is that it's bloody boiling over there. I don't know or care how hot. It's just too hot for Britain.

I'd like to learn Spanish. Possibly even Portuguese.

It's something I would recommend, if you learn Spanish, it's very easy to learn Portuguese and vice versa, it's an easy way to get an extra language. These two languages are predicted to be the fastest growing languages this century.

It's something I would recommend, if you learn Spanish, it's very easy to learn Portuguese and vice versa, it's an easy way to get an extra language. These two languages are predicted to be the fastest growing languages this century.

Somebody also told me that Spanish is easier to learn than other European languages, and am I right in saying Portuguese bears some resemblance to Spanish?

Somebody also told me that Spanish is easier to learn than other European languages, and am I right in saying Portuguese bears some resemblance to Spanish?

I've learnt Spanish to GCSE level, and can guess at what Portugese means, although according to my Spanish teacher, "Portugese looks like Spanish and sounds like drunken French"...

I've never been to Spain and all I know about Spain is that it's bloody boiling over there. I don't know or care how hot. It's just too hot for Britain.
The following words are not me exagerating: It would litery kill an English person, since the english are used to a colder climate, it would be like putting a block of ice in a pan of boiling water.

Ok, so I am exagerating a bit, but, you understand what I mean.

Also, Spanish is an easy language to learn, but whatever you do, do not, I repeat, do not learn Spanish from English people, or learn in a resort mostly occupied by English, go to a very Spanish area (In-land Easten Málaga, for example) and that where you can learn to speak proper spanish, some for Portugease, or any languages, infact, just head in-land and learn it from a natural.

I've learnt Spanish to GCSE level, and can guess at what Portugese means, although according to my Spanish teacher, "Portugese looks like Spanish and sounds like drunken French"...

I don't know what a drunken French sounds like, so I'll take you're word for it. :p

But yeah, if you learn a latin language, it becomes somewhat instinctive to atleast understand something of the rest of them.

Also, Spanish is an easy language to learn, but whatever you do, do not, I repeat, do not learn Spanish from English people, or learn in a resort mostly occupied by English, go to a very Spanish area (In-land Easten Málaga, for example) and that where you can learn to speak proper spanish, some for Portugease, or any languages, infact, just head in-land and learn it from a natural.

The best way is always first hand experience, the English language is easier because everything is in English, I learned english from Cartoon Network and some subtleties from school.

But yeah, if you learn a latin language, it becomes somewhat instinctive to atleast understand something of the rest of them.

But does the same hold true for Germanic languages; English is supposedly one of these, but I've always been far better at French, Spanish and Japanese than German (mind you, I did have a crap teacher).

variation on the spelling thru time maybe? but it certainly isn't said "angles" when refering to the tribe themselves. never seen it spelt that way either myself.

One of the big differences between old english and middle english is that old english was before "the great vowel shift". So vowels at the end of the words such as the "e" in "Name" were pronounced. As in the modern german "Name".

Kinda sounds like "Nahm-Ah"

If you speak english in this way it very quickly starts to sound a bit more like old english and more germanic.

The main reason old english would be very hard to understand (well, impossible) is because the grammar was different. Old english had more tenses depending on if the object was feminine, masculine etc which had been lost from modern english. But modern english itself has some grammar that diddn't exist back in the anglo saxon times.

Basically english has been moving away from old german for about 1000 years. The grammar remains germanic as well as most of the everyday words but there is an awfull lot of vocabulary that comes from Norman French, a bit from celtic and latin. Even recently some indian languages.

Yes it's fun to be able to speak in 2.5 languages. 0.5 being swedish...

And my language has had grammar for a little less than 500 years. It was spoken before that, but not written. And one of the things that makes this language difficult to others to learn, is the fact that the spoken and written language differs pretty much.

The following words are not me exagerating: It would litery kill an English person, since the english are used to a colder climate, it would be like putting a block of ice in a pan of boiling water.

Ok, so I am exagerating a bit, but, you understand what I mean.

I don't understand how it could kill a British person, Scottish maybe. But if the Spanish temperature could kill British people. Then how come Spain is a popular holiday resort?

You are indeed exaggerating.