NEurope
dabookerman

The CV/Covering letter thread

Ok, in this thread, we ask/give tips on people looking to write CVs and covering letters for jobs, many people who have jobs can provide advice on what people will look for in interviews and such, and on the whole, give advice on what to include in the letters and how to present them. I will be providing my input soon.

My advice?

LIE BITCHES, LIE!!!!

Not really, just glorify yourself in everyway possible, making even the most boring things in your life sound worthwhile and interesting.

And always have it word formatted...

SPELLCHECK!!!

Make sure you run a spell check in the right language!! A mis-spelled word is such an elementary mistake.

Dont' go TOO casual to a job interview, some might like you for what you know (like the chief of the programming department), but if you're interviewed by someone that doesn't know shit about anything (like the Human Resources director), you're screwed.

As for the CV, mine is in EU standard, simple and clean.

I think the best way to write a CV is to write it in a way that it appeals to the place you're handing it in to. So you wouldn't go hand the same CV into a retail position as to the one you're going to be handing into an office admin job.

The best CV's come in now less and no more than 2 A4 pages... or so i'm told

Yes, 2 sides of A4 paper, nicely typed up, is the best.

No i meant two different pages (stapled together), not one page front and back, i'm told using the page still looks a bit messy, two pages stapled together looks more professional.

I did a lot of work on CV and cover letter presentation during my course, i'll see if i can post some stuff up later when i get home

I see quite a lot of CVs doing post in the morning at our office, I'd say the covering letter is pretty important. Make sure it's well written to the point and makes you sound good.

I read one the other day that started "My name is ____ and I am __ years old. That's what 5 year olds write, it put me off immediately.

No i meant two different pages (stapled together), not one page front and back, i'm told using the page still looks a bit messy, two pages stapled together looks more professional.

2 sides of A4 doesn't necessarily mean 2 sides of the same sheet :p

2 sides of A4 doesn't necessarily mean 2 sides of the same sheet :p

haha thats what i meant